http://www.theguardi...n-robert-jordan

Have to agree a little bit with this blog
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

I agree that I wouldn't give WoT a Hugo on balance but the arguments in this article are ridiculously bad and superficial, and the tone is generally rather insulting towards high fantasy fans. I have made my views known on the site (I am Idioplasm).

This post has been edited by D'iversify: 19 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

I am the Onyx Wizards

#3 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

First impression is that I don't care if they do or don't. I am a fan of WOT but dont care for the award. Out of all the authors I know of two. I am baffled as to why some people are not on the list. Just look at it. ..
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#4 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Not difficult to guess that I am a WoT fan :p

My view is that regardless of any perceived similarities with LotR the bulk of the series is quite original and deserves to be up there with the best of them. I do not believe that awards should only recognise 'academic' works. Stories are not told to pass exams - they are told to engage listeners and readers. Any writer who is able to still successfully sell the 14th book in a series obviously got that bit right. How can one not appreciate the scope of the world buiding in WoT? Some people write reviews based on researching what others have written on the internet about a book rather then their own experience. Hope the reviewer at least read the entire series...

I do sometimes wonder where these efforts to find LotR in every fantasy story originate. Lets face it, LotR also took many ideas from other stories. Bottom line is that pretty much everything and anything has been said or heard somewhere at some point. Considering that a lot of fantasy writers like the medieval type setting... well, a quick look at historical evidence will make it quite obvious that to be born on a farm was a pretty common thing in those days. I see nothing wrong with books starting out from the same place. Where they go with it from there is what I am interested in.

I am grateful to Brandon Sanderson for finishing the series but I still wish that RJ had been able to do it himself because for me the longer a story, the better. Might have had another two or three books... *sigh* Maybe us fans of looooooong stories should come up with our own award for those writers that even many books down the line still give it their all!

By the way... anyone interested in a more informed opinion on WoT ought to read Werthead's contribution amongst the comments on that page.

#5 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Wow. His proof that WoT "bears a startling resemblance" to LotR is a link to a goodreads list. That's some fine journalism.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#6 User is offline   Goaswerfraiejen 

• Captain

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

I don't care much one way or the other if it gets the award (or even gets nominated) but, as some of you will know, I do think that the Wheel of Time series marks a phenomenal literary achievement in its own right. And it opened up fantasy for properly gritty (yet also long) series such as MBOTF and ASOIAF, which is a pretty important service. To class it with the plethora of derivative garbage in the genre (including Goodkind) is to do it a serious disservice.

#7 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

There are 4 series of books I will always own. Wheel of time, Harry Potter, Malazan Book of the Fallen and The Dresden Files. Nothing else I have read has come close to dismounting any one of these series or joining them.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Saying WoT is derivative of LoTR is like saying Casablanca was derivative of The Maltese Falcon because both are black-and-white and star Bogart.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   The_Wanderer 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Fantasy and science fiction

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

Due to its popularity and due to the fact that it opened the door for larger fantasy series' to be published, Wheel of Time at the very least should be nominated for a Hugo.

Should it win?

I've got to admit I would kind of like to see Wheel of Time win. Although it's flawed and not the most critically sound series, these awards never truly award the "best" written work, but instead give into the politics of publishing and popularity. An instance of this that truly bothered me occurred when J.K. Rowling won a Hugo for Goblet of Fire, defeating George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords in the process. I love Harry Potter, but A Storm of Swords is one of the single greatest installments of a fantasy series ever written. To see ASoS lose to Harry Potter due to its popularity was ridiculous. If that isn't politics, I don't know what is.

I don't think Wheel of Time could top the Harry Potter upset, if it really won over a book that will change the fantasy landscape forever, then I would be upset. I guess the point is: critically Wheel of Time will probably not deserve the award, but personally I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it win.
"The soul knows no greater anguish than to take a breath that begins in love and ends with grief." - Toll the Hounds

Writing about and reviewing everything fantasy and science fiction at ATG Reviews

#10 User is offline   lastname 

• Lieutenant

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:48 AM

View PostThe_Wanderer, on 21 January 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

I've got to admit I would kind of like to see Wheel of Time win. Although it's flawed and not the most critically sound series, these awards never truly award the "best" written work, but instead give into the politics of publishing and popularity. An instance of this that truly bothered me occurred when J.K. Rowling won a Hugo for Goblet of Fire, defeating George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords in the process. I love Harry Potter, but A Storm of Swords is one of the single greatest installments of a fantasy series ever written. To see ASoS lose to Harry Potter due to its popularity was ridiculous. If that isn't politics, I don't know what is.

That doesn't surprise me too much. The Hugo doesn't work like say the Nebula (peer voting). You don't even need to attend Worldcon to cast a Hugo vote. All you need to do is to buy a "supporting membership" (see here).

The Goblet of Fire sold some 66 million copies. ASoS, I think, pushed about 15 million copies by 2011. More readers possibly translates to more votes.

I haven't read Harry Potter (and probably won't) and ain't arguing in favour. I'm just saying the Hugo is basically a popularity contest rather than a peer/critic voted award.

This post has been edited by lastname: 21 January 2014 - 04:49 AM

#11 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

View PostAbyss, on 20 January 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Saying WoT is derivative of LoTR is like saying Casablanca was derivative of The Maltese Falcon because both are black-and-white and star Bogart.
Yeah, its pretty much another intolerable anti-genre argument where the only literature escaping criticism is automatically apotheosised into the 'literary fiction' category and so can escape the pain of being considered 'lowly' genre work.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#12 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

I was in the neighborhood, so I just wanted to zombie-post that the Guardian article is one of the most blatant examples of trolling that I've ever seen in a mainstream publication, on any topic. It's good to see that there are some critics of WoT who didn't fall for it. Jennifer Liang posted it on Facebook when it was published, but if she hadn't been mentioned in the article I doubt anyone in the fandom would have paid much attention to it. It doesn't even pretend to make a rational argument; it's like the most boiled-down-to-nothing presentation imaginable of the extant body of WoT criticism.

PS—What I meant to say is that actually reading this thread made me happy, because I'm subscribed to the forum and thus got an email notification when the OP was posted. And at the time, I thought, "really"? This forum rarely disappoints.

This post has been edited by Terez: 12 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#13 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

View PostTerez, on 12 March 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

I was in the neighborhood, so I just wanted to zombie-post that the Guardian article is one of the most blatant examples of trolling that I've ever seen in a mainstream publication, on any topic.
Much as I enjoy the Guardian, its website is full of clickbait. And whilst they do get some people who have a clue to cover science fiction and fantasy (Ursula Le Guin and Robert MacFarlane write reviews every so often for them), a lot of the rest of the work is covered by journo-types pretending they know something about the genre and its clientele when really a nine year old [insert YA fantasy author whose work you consider amateur at best] fan could write more incisive articles than them.
I am the Onyx Wizards

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users