Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Deleted

This post has been edited by .-‘: 05 October 2021 - 11:28 PM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

It looks awesome from all I've seen. Also it's gonna be one story per season ala American Horror Story, which I think is a great idea for a detective genre show.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

I dunno... most times Woody Harrleson and Matthew McConaughty get up to something, it seems like they phone it in to make enough money to fund their pot vacations for the next year or two until they need another job to do more of same. This is being billed a tense real world crime drama, which is sort of the opposite of everything either actor has done for the last decade or so.

That said, i like them both, and HBO rarely produces crap, so i'll at least check it out.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

I'v seen the 1st ep and I loved it. I also didn't recognize McConaghuey at all, not the surfer loveboy we used to know! This is looking very good indeed.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#5 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostAbyss, on 13 January 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I dunno... most times Woody Harrleson and Matthew McConaughty get up to something, it seems like they phone it in to make enough money to fund their pot vacations for the next year or two until they need another job to do more of same. This is being billed a tense real world crime drama, which is sort of the opposite of everything either actor has done for the last decade or so.

That said, i like them both, and HBO rarely produces crap, so i'll at least check it out.

Apparently the plan is to switch out the actors after each season and start with a new cast. As such, if Harrelson and McConaughy deliver a good first season, the second won't go to hell if they smoke too much.

I loved the first episode. Terse, slow, uncomfortable and a very bleak landscape. McConoughy's Taxman has an almost Eriksonian philosophy going on, too.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#6 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

He seems a tad overdrawn in his cynicism, it's a bit like a "regular" person's uninformed view of an atheist. Surely he had to go through some awful tragedy to reject God, right? And he's completely nihilistic and will inevitably descend into alcoholism and won't conform to even the most basic social norms.
Which is kind of annoying.

But we all know 'murica and their moviemaking sillyness, eh? All for the better.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#7 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

View PostBriar King, on 21 January 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:

Oh man that was a great 2nd ep! Also DAMN!!! I've been waiting to see that girl get topless for a few yrs now. I don't know her name but she plays in the Percy Jackson movies and she was the main star Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I do believe this show is gonna be a slow simmering treat.

That is where I know her from. The Percy Jackson Movies. As hot as she is. I felt that the whole scene was unnecessary. It was a light tone that broke up the darkness that the story invokes. I understand it was to show how shitty of a guy Harrison is and to connect that to how he expects his family life to be. The scene threw me out of the episode and it took a while for me to get back in.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#8 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

Holy shit. Just saw the 2nd ep yesterday, and oh my. That girl has a lot to show *gulp* always so fun watching stuff like that with the gf.

#9 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostGothos, on 22 January 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

Holy shit. Just saw the 2nd ep yesterday, and oh my. That girl has a lot to show *gulp* always so fun watching stuff like that with the gf.

Ah yes. I recognice the scenario.

"That girl has nice boobs!"
"Umh.. Really? I.. I didn't notice."
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#10 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Yeah and try not to stare or anything.

#11 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostGothos, on 23 January 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

Yeah and try not to stare or anything.

Luckily they only took up the entire screen.

#12 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

The show has a Twin Peaks vibe that I really like. I really like the framing device of the narration since the leading actors change quite a bit. This series has some great potential.

#13 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Oh and btw cameos from The Wire cast FTW. Lester Freamon as a church minister and Brother Mouzone as a cop interviewer!

#14 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

First ep was so slow! I was bored to tears. I feel like maybe I was not in the right frame of mind to watch it but me and my three friends could not concentrate on the show.

#15 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 January 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

Yeah, that was... impressive.
The GF doesn't mind me getting an eyeful if she's also watching, but trouble is brewing if I am paying more attention to the screen than she is.
Luckily I can always turn to the cat... "Lola, get off the table, yes, down. Down! There's a good kitten" always works.

And yeah, the music is magnificent.

#16 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostTapper, on 27 January 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

The GF doesn't mind me getting an eyeful if she's also watching, but trouble is brewing if I am paying more attention to the screen than she is.
Luckily I can always turn to the cat... "Lola, get off the table, yes, down. Down! There's a good kitten" always works.

What happens if the cat is sleeping nicely in a chair... "Lola, get off the chair!"

Now the GF and the cat think your insane.

#17 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostVengeance, on 27 January 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

What happens if the cat is sleeping nicely in a chair... "Lola, get off the chair!"

In that case, I am hopelessly lost and caught with my jaw on the floor. Luckily, the cat is a cat and that means she's where she's not supposed to be, 24/7.

#18 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostTapper, on 27 January 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

In that case, I am hopelessly lost and caught with my jaw on the floor. Luckily, the cat is a cat and that means she's where she's not supposed to be, 24/7.

Besides, they both probably think that already.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#19 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 27 January 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

View PostTapper, on 27 January 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Besides, they both probably think that already.

Point!

#20 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

This is an excellent show. I've never really followed Matthew Mcconaughey's career. I've never disliked his acting, it's just he never has been in movies that really appeal to me. But, shit man, he is top notch in this.

The ending of last night's episode was bonkers!

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users