Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lady Envy - typical spoilt teenager?

#1 User is offline   Whiskeyjackuk 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Just finished MoI. I loved Erikson's humour it. Lady Envy is, imo, a typical spoilt teenager in the way she's portrayed. Some of the other funny pieces were with the BridgeBurners, and Kruppe. Now Kruppe is hilarious the way he talks in the third person and can laugh about his personal looks. I think of the three so far, Memories has some of the biggest laugh factors, and some of the saddest parts.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostWhiskeyjackuk, on 09 January 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

... Lady Envy is, imo, a typical spoilt teenager in the way she's portrayed....

it's SUCH a brilliant book, isn't it?

Re Lady Envy, in parts yes, but take a look at the scene where she meets with K'rul. There's a lot more going on there.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Lady Envy has always been one of my favorite ascendants, specifically for her role in MOI.

Unlike most of the gods and demigods, and super powerful immortals, she is one of the only ones who thinks and acts how I would expect an ageless Goddess to act.

She doesn't even consider the notion of mortality. When she leaves the BBs to fight the Seedomin in the Castle and she finds out half of them died, she gets annoyed, confused some how. Not because of the needless loss of life. Just the simple inconvinience of it and the irritating frailty of these human beings.

To her, the humans simply doesn't matter. She doesn't despise them or pity them or want to use them... she doesn't even care.

It's quite different from characters like Rake and Brood who are "good gods" or Oponn or the CG who delight in using and destroying them.

EDIT: Oh and as for the way she behaves when she doesn't get her way. That's her aspect.

This post has been edited by Maybe Apt: 09 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostMaybe Apt, on 09 January 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

...When she leaves the BBs to fight the Seedomin in the Castle and she finds out half of them died, she gets annoyed, confused some how...

This!
One of the most frustrating and perfect scenes in the book, including her exchange with Picker... "This shouldn't take long."... ARGH.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

The comedy bits go up with each book I think. MT was the first one that had me actually laugh out loud.

Envy behaves exactly the way I would expect from an ascendent. (exactly what Apt said). I loved her interactions with the beings around her.

#6 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Yeah... her name itself should be enough to discern that she's probably not the most benevolent of deities.

She's ridiculously powerful and unfathomably ancient. So much so that she likely barely even remembers what it feels like to not be absurdly powerful. She has little to no common ground with mortals, and so it might be a bit difficult for her to empathize with them even if empathy was one of her strong points (it isn't).
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#7 User is offline   Babblu0 

• Recruit

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hello! First, I want to say (to anyone who has watched HBO's 'Deadwood' and likewise grieved at its early and unnecessary demise) that I can NOT watch Ian McShane (Swearengen) without constantly envisioning Gruntle. His power, strength, and compassion is evident in every breath and step - what a perfect role for him in my "Never, Ever, Ever To Be Made" Malazan movie. <br style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34);">

We offer best quality http://www.test-king.com test papers and dumps materials. You can get our 100% guaranteed questions pittstate to help you in passing the real exam of www.mica.edu

This post has been edited by Babblu0: 14 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

FSLL:

#8 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

I dont know man
I think Ian McShane would be better as Graymane :-)

#9 User is offline   Keysi 

• Fist

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:41 AM

I kinda wondered about Envy....how exactly does she work?

I know she is the daughter of an elder god but what exactly is the nature of their reproduction?

If 2 (or one and a mortal) ascendant, who love each other very much get certain urges, and have a baby, is the child automatically an ascendant too with mega powers or do they have to go through one of the processes too? I'm betting the former but since it's not really been discussed yet there is a small part if me still wondering.

She's also not an actual God herself, just an ascendant yea??

No need for an explanation if it would be spollilery, just thinking out loud again.

#10 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostKeysi, on 10 July 2015 - 09:41 AM, said:

I know she is the daughter of an elder god but what exactly is the nature of their reproduction?

If 2 (or one and a mortal) ascendant, who love each other very much get certain urges, and have a baby, is the child automatically an ascendant too with mega powers or do they have to go through one of the processes too? I'm betting the former but since it's not really been discussed yet there is a small part if me still wondering.

No need for an explanation if it would be spollilery, just thinking out loud again.

She is an ascendant. No doubt about that.

#11 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

I wonder if Draconus excised two parts of his personality - spite and envy - and they became his "daughters."

#12 User is offline   Keysi 

• Fist

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostAndorion, on 10 July 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

She is an ascendant. No doubt about that.

We'll obviously :( but does the offspring of an ascendant or God automatically get ascendant powers as part of their nature or do they go through the same trials, tribulations or misadventures that the rest have to first?

I'm assuming it's the former right enough.

Don't tell me if it's spoilery, just thinking out loud.

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

What this series needs is a Muppet Babies style spinoff.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

Read
And
Find
Out

#15 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

View Postworry, on 25 July 2015 - 07:52 PM, said:

What this series needs is a Muppet Babies style spinoff.

Ascendant baaabiees *to the tune of the theme song*

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users