Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First son of Darkness

#1 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

What came with the title or does it mean nothing at all really other than she likes the Rake? Never understand it really.

#2 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

I think of them as "hatamoto" samurai, i.e retainers in direct service to the Queen and the right to an audience.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Like Nacht says, it's just a title. Some kind of quasi political religious position that marks Rake as her chosen representative or some such.

As for what WILL come with the title, time will tell. A lot of the more mystical things we suspected about the Tiste and their origins have been proven wrong. How much power will come to be vested in the Tiste of the Andii as Mother Darks power grows we will have to wait and see.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

Mostly agree with above, but possibly worth noting that MD doesn't have any biological heirs, so I don't want to be too definitive in claiming it's "just" a title/position. I mean she disappeared, and he became the leader of the Tiste Andii in her absence, after all. The revelation is basically that the sons of MD aren't biological sons or direct creations of an EG, but "time will tell" are some wise words.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

It seems to me sorta like a 'prime minister', which in an absolute monarchy is a mostly symbolic title. But he would (or could if he wanted) be one of her most important advisors. I'm not sure if he's been using that power before the events of the book.

Really good point made by Worry - yes, I suppose it also makes him the heir, hence probably the urgency felt by many (who don't like/trust Rake) for a husband for MD.

#6 User is offline   Iamme 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

Anomander perhaps was the first Tiste Andu. Silchas Ruin inherits the Andu sorcery/realm but never embraces the darkness?

#7 User is offline   DaddyDraconus 

• Recruit

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Definitely held weight in the feudal hierarchy of Karkanas at the time which was a very class driven place. But although not biological it was deeper than just politics as even in the arguing one can sense the amount of care and dare I say love that MD shows for Anomander. Her feeling at the end of TtH would also point to a more personal relationship.

#8 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:art, psychology, potatoes
  • walking the shores of lake Azur

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostDaddyDraconus, on 04 October 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Definitely held weight in the feudal hierarchy of Karkanas at the time which was a very class driven place. But although not biological it was deeper than just politics as even in the arguing one can sense the amount of care and dare I say love that MD shows for Anomander. Her feeling at the end of TtH would also point to a more personal relationship.

Yes, in TtH Rake does prepare the Black Coral new palace as if to please Mother Dark and nobody understands why. And in FoD, when she offers to speak of his real mother, he rejects the idea because MD has that role now.
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users