Malazan Empire: Just finished Midnight Tides, some thoughts (spoilers for the entire book) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished Midnight Tides, some thoughts (spoilers for the entire book) An excellent book

#1 User is offline   Mysterious Realms 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

I finished Midnight Tides today. This book is my favorite out of the first five Malazan books. The Kingdom of Lether (now Empire) and that continent seem particularly interesting. It seems to me that each book has progressively improved in terms of quality so far (perhaps excepting HoC/#4 compared to MoI/#3).

Favorite characters from this book were: Tehol Beddict, Bugg, the Ceda Kuru Qan, Brys Beddict, Iron Bars, and Trull Sengar. It would be truly fascinating to see Tehol and Bugg encounter Kruppe.

I am interested in finding what exactly is the nature of the Crippled God/Chained One and what he was like before he was lured to the main world of the story. Will be interesting to see whatever information future books hold on his specific nature, origin, and characteristics or those of his original world. The situation with Mother Dark and the apparent annihilation of matter and energy is interesting, hopefully it can be averted somehow.

Other issues (from books 3-4): I want to find out more about the nature of K'rul and more about the Jade statues and the hints at civilizations on other worlds (one of the stranger, yet more fascinating things from the series so far).

The Forkrul Assail are starting to matter more now. Been wondering when this would happen (saw a bit of one in book 4).

Just wondering:

How do people on these forums, or other readers of this series, generally think the last five books are in terms of quality? Are they just as good or better than the first five? They are probably quite good, but want to see what people here think. The first five books were definitely enjoyable, especially MT.

Edit: Added Iron Bars to favorite character list

This post has been edited by Mysterious Realms: 10 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

I like the second half of the series more than the first half by a decent stretch, both in terms of the stories told and the writing in and of itself. But it's polarizing. There are even a few people here who love the first half and still quit the second half outright (often at book 8, the polarizer of all polarizers in MBOTF).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

I am not finished with the series but so far every book just gets better. I loved MT and thought it couldn't get better. I barley stopped to breathe reading tBH and RG.

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:57 AM

Whatever I reread becomes my favorite :D

#5 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:33 AM

I've heard a few people say that Midnight Tides is their least favourite!

I personally loved it.

Also the rest of the series is super good.

Forge of Darkness is also fucking amazing... set in another time and place but still so Malazan and totally awesome. Also everything else Erikson has ever written.

This post has been edited by Overactive Imagination: 11 December 2013 - 05:34 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users