• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BOMBSHELLS short Molly story SPOILERS after the first para

#1 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Just read Butcher's short Molly story BOMBSHELLS in the DANGEROUS WOMEN anthology.

This was a pure shot of dresdencrack gleeful awesome.

The story takes place between GHOST STORY and COLD DAYS. Molly s on her own more or less and working with the JLC when Justine shows up with a Thomas problem. Molly of course has to help. Makeup is applied, things go splodey, violence and hilarity ensue.

I haven't read anything else from the anthology yet, so i cant venture an opinion about it, but this was awesome.
Butcher did a far better voice for Molly that he did for Murphy in AFTERMATH, the supporting cast shines as usual (Andi, shockingly, is useful), the overall storyversemoves along nicely and overall i really enjoyed the short read.

SPOILERS AFTER HERE
SPOILER
SPOILERS
BOMBSHELL SPOILERS
HOLY FUCKING FUCK SPOILERS WHO KNEW MARCONE HAD A TATTOO THERE
AND ALSO EW
SPOILERS

So yeah, his was great fun.
Molly is just as messed up as she was in GS. Maybe a little betterbut not much. Lea chews scenery as always but we see a nice bit of their relationship. I especially enjoyed how without hesitation Molly went at Lea early on.

Andi... Damn i got a good laugh out of her scenes... Just her not being a victim for a change was great, but defending Butters, giving
Molly a reality check, and eating turlenecks were all nicely done.
As for Molly, she shines in this story, pulling together Harry's lessons, Lea's and her own strengths, including a pure fist pump moment of the one woman rave.

Some interesting tidbits about the Fomor too, especially their background originating with the stray bits of various pantheons.

So yeah, great fun. No idea yet if the anthology was worth the money, but this was a great bit of a fix till SGcomes around.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Enjoyed it a lot. Liked seeing Molly fighting with magic without Dresden as the heavy hitter. And like you said, getting more on the Fomor who now starts getting interesting.

Have read the Abercrombie and Martin stories, good if you are interested in their worlds and characters but pretty depressing ...

#3 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for the review. I am doing a bookstore run today, it's now on my list.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostPig Iron, on 08 December 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

... read the Abercrombie and Martin stories, good if you are interested in their worlds and characters but pretty depressing ...

Have now read Abercrombie - which was a nice nod to RED COUNTRY - Bloch - neither fantasy nor sf but darkly engaging in a twisted way - and am mid GRRM - which is pure SIF candy.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

I read this, personally I think most of the authors did a good job, all the big names deliver, and whilst some of the authors I've never heard of didn't catch my interest, there are a few I might check out on the strength of the short stories. Lev Grossman is one I've not read before and am now going to read.

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

Story was quite entertaining. Dunno what the hell was up with Butcher differentiating between "tomboys" and "girly girls" as people who "read stuff" or "build stuff" vs women who like to dress up. I know it was "in voice" as Molly, but still. Hope he's not turning into some kind of anthropomorphic fedora. Other than that (brief) load of twaddle, Molly made a great protag...the Ragged Lady stuff was some of the coolest content in Ghost Story, and I was glad to see her again here. I don't know if Cold Days knocked that out of her, but if so I wish it had lasted a few more books.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

The way the svartalfs were presented here makes sense. However, I have a little problem with the Fomor Lord attempting a wiping out of Chicago, when the Fomor as a while are trying to recruit talent.

Basically, Butcher reduced a potentially cool bad guy to the worst of Bond villains for a quick ending to the story.

That being said, Lea telling Molly the set-up and then letting her know Harry is coming back was the best thing about this.

I'm also slightly disappointed that there is no mention of whether Andi got her dress and shoes back for a night out with Butters. That could have been glorious.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   Starling 

• Not Docile

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Ahh, the DresdenCrack. Feels so good.
... a nature generally described as happy-go-fuck-yourself.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users