Malazan Empire: Harry Dresden, Hogwartz defense against the dark arts teacher - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Harry Dresden, Hogwartz defense against the dark arts teacher

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Found this description of what it would have looked like if Dresden had been hired to teach "defense against the dark arts" at Hogwartz:

http://www.reddit.co..._the_dark_arts/

[WARNING: MASSIVE HARRY POTTER SPOILERS]

I am probably doing this wrong, but I was asked to cross-post my answer to this:

swap out Remus Lupin in the golden trio's third year in Hogwarts with the mad wizard Dresden (pre-Winter Knight) and what happens?

what happens to Sirius Black and Buckbeak?

does Wormtail still escape?

does the young Potter learn how to cast a patronus at all?

how do the nubile young witches fare when dear Thomas decides to visit?

bonus points for Dresden as DADA prof during Goblet of Fire.

From r/whowouldwin[1] here, so here you go:

Buckbeak? Dresden knocks the executioner the fuck out, and breaks the Minister of Magic's nose. Harry does not suffer self important political figures gladly.

Sirius Black? A wizard wrongly convicted of a crime and condemned by the dominant political powers? Harry and Sirius become best friends. This doesn't stop Belatrix from killing Sirius, though. Harry destroys the Ministry of Magic headquarters in his ragegrief. Belatrix does not survive the book.

Wormtail still escapes. Henchmen in the Dresdenverse are remarkably adept at escaping Dresden until the last chapter.

Patronus? Dresden teaching someone a spell that depends on summoning your happiest memory? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO.

Thomas? McGonagall pulls him into the Room of Requirement. They reemerge a month later. Thomas is well fed, walks funny, and can't stop talking about how resilient witches are.

Bonus: when Morgan finds out Dresden's students are using a Time Turner, thus violating one of the Laws of Magic, he shows up to behead them all. Dresden breaks his nose.

Dresden would own as a DATDA teacher. Shield charms. Ventas Servitas. Fuego. Pyrofuego. Blasting rods. Staves. Handguns. Dresden would turn out the most talented wizards in a generation, and be promptly fired for his competency. The students would revolt, and form Dresden's army.

Without Mad Eye Moody in Hogwarts, Potter wouldn't be entered in the Tri-Wizarding Tournament. But it doesn't matter: as soon as Dresden saw the establishment willingly putting young lives in danger for the sake of entertainment, Dresden would bust out an entire keg of righteous indignation and whoop ass. He would solo all three dragons, use a tracking charm to find the kids hidden in the lake, and give no shits about the cup in the center of the maze, which he also just burned down.

Dresden then confronts Dumbledore, who immediately sees the error of his ways. The Minister of Magic is less open to reason, and he attacks Dresden. Dresden burns down the newly-rebuilt Ministry of Magic headquarters. This is well after the fight, which Dresden wins in about ten seconds.

Voldemort realizes that using the Cup as a means to trap Potter was stupid as all fuck, and just walks into Hogwarts to kidnap him. Everyone freaks the fuck out. Dresden wants to know why everyone is so scared of a no-nosed necromancer. Dresden's shield bracelet absorbs Voldemort's cruciatus curse. Voldemort pisses himself. Dresden punches a fist-sized, burning hole through Voldemort's face.

Voldemort reforms, because he's immortal. Bob the Skull explains the ins and outs of phylacteries, erm, horcruxes. Dresden uses a tracking charm to find them all (he can find wedding rings for Christ's sake, and Voldemort has put way more emotional energy into his horcruxes), and has one of the Knights use a Sword to destroy them.

The real problem comes when Dresden realizes Potter is the last horcrux. Both Harries are well acquainted with self sacrifice, and I see this playing out pretty much as it did in the books. Its just that this time, it's Uriel that brings Potter back, not Dumbledore.

All of this took one book, about 400 pages. Kids around the world never learn to read. Snape is never redeemed in the eyes of the students. Neville Longbottom never takes his levels in badass. Dumbledore lives to a riper old age. The White Council steps in to take over for the fallen Ministry. Dresden lives his life ruined by the knowledge that he made things worse for everybody.

----

What do you think?

I love that he keep burning down the Ministry of Magic.

This post has been edited by Crustaceous Apt: 27 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Prof Dresden spends the first six weeks teaching hand to hand self-defence against the Dark Arts. Murphy attends as a guest instructor. Snape shows up, makes a snarky comment, Murphy challenges him to a demonstration duel and breaks his arm, nose, three ribs, collarbone and six toes. Hermione breaks Draco's nose seven times in practice duels. Goyle beats the living crap out of Ron and Harry. Prof Dresden teaches them both to fight dirty and the next day Ron kicks Goyle in the nads.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

Needs polka music and an undead T-Rex. Otherwise GENIUS!!!!
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

McLovin, on 27 November 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Needs polka music and an undead T-Rex. Otherwise GENIUS!!!!

Instead of an undead T-rex, an undead hippogriff. Guess Harry (neither of them) didn't save Buckbeak after all, but what a comeback!

I totally agree that Dresden and Sirius Black would be drinking buddies.

Also, Mister beats down Mrs Norris in the first five pages.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

Oh my gods. I've never wanted two worlds to cross more in my life!

LOL

Someone should show that to Jim himself, I bet he'd love it.

EDIT: Tweeted it at Jim, hopefully he sees it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Why do none of the bad things from Dresden's world cross over to Potter's? Of course he's going to beat up on Voldemort, initially, but the Denarians, the Fae and the Outsiders getting into the Potterverse are scarier things than they are in the Dresden world.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

That was fucking awesome! XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#8 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

amphibian, on 27 November 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

Of course he's going to beat up on Voldemort, initially

Don't even know why you assume that really. The magic from both world's are pretty different. For one, Harry's lacks (as far as I recall), a nigh unstoppable death curse. That Dresden is most likely to try and absorb too. The mechanics of the world just don't favour him.

I'd be more interested in having the bad guys cross over too, see them try to deal with it.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#9 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

Posted Image
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

Harry and Sirius would be good friends.

Best friends? Nope.

Mouse and Sirius.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Voldemort would naturally try and obtain all the Denarian coins. Dresden would naturally feel obliged to try and stop him. Potter and co tag along. Hilarity ensues. Also, fatalities.

#12 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

Gotta catch 'em all? Lol.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#13 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Potter tries to speak to Dresden about his girl problems. Dresden offers no comfort, being even more rubbish with women than Potter is. They spend a couple of chapters being depressed about it but then Dresden says "I could tell you about this one time on a stone table..."
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#14 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Wouldn't Voldemort end up the Winter Knight?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

I think Voldemort would be more likely as a part of the Black Council or a "Kessler" that took a combined effort of mages to take down.

#16 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Maybe one of Kemmlers disciples? I get the feeling Kemmler is to Voldemort what Merlin would be to Harry...Ofcourse I never really fully appreciated Voldemorts power, but I'd rank him in with cowl for some reason.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users