Malazan Empire: Sledging/Trash talk etc - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sledging/Trash talk etc or How's Your Wife and My Kids?

#1 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

As usual it has become the topic du jour in these parts coinciding with the resumption of the cricket.

Thoughts? Not just the cricket but in all sports.

I dislike it myself. The odd cheeky bit of humour is fine, but direct, crude attacks are just ... well ... Not Cricket. IMHO it shows a lack of imagination, class and frankly character. To compete fiercely is all well and good, but it can be done without the barrage of garbage passing itself off as wit these days. Actions speak louder than words.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 25 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

I would like to point out that these days, the world is far too sensitive to words in a way. Not condoning over use of slang, swearing and crude attacks etc, but now its just too far. Everybody crying about words is just silly, people should be more thick skinned sometimes, the world is a tough place and words cannot hurt. I think PC (Politically Correct) has gone way too far. To quote A Song of Ice and Fire, 'words are wind'. This applies globally too, not just to sports
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#3 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Fuck off!
Get to the chopper!

#4 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Thread resurrection

For the most part, trash talking is alright. I played soccer with an Aussie and he used to drive our opposition mental with the constant banter. But his comments were very mild, I guess it was just the volume. And more importantly, he could take it as well.

I played soccer when I worked in Bermuda many years ago, and when I started I was the only white player in our division (maybe the entire league). Apparently i was being racially taunted throughout my first game, but it didn't really register with me at all since I didn't get half the slang yet. I do remember one guy making all sorts of comment about my sister and mother, but it was easy to ignore that as he was clearly saying things to get a rise.

But I heard of a different level of onfield taunting here in Ireland in a Gaelic Football match which I think crossed any line you could possible have. Unfortunately I don't remember the teams involved. Apparently there was a player on Team A whose brother had very recently committed suicide, and a player on Team B thought it was cool to walk up to him at the start of the game, and make the comment "Nice day for a hanging" and the walk away. Now doing something like that has no place on any field in my opinion, and I can hand on heart say I would have sent him to hospital for it.

Trash talking is fine, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#5 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

I think trashing has always been an integral part of sport and most of the time it's good natured or designed to get a rise. A professional sportsman/woman paid a ridiculous amount of money should be able to see it for what it is and ignore it. That said problems arise when the comments get overly personal, as BoD illustrated above, overtly racist or when the target is incapable of ignoring or mounting any sort of defence against the abuse due to being hotheaded/ thick as shit/ a professional footballer.
Whether true or not my favourite response to sledging in cricket has always been Shane Warne's alleged reaction to being called a fat c**t. " That's because every time I shag your misses she gives me a cream cake !"
Well played sir.
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#6 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ˝ man, ˝ amazing

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Kevin Garnett to Carmelo Anthony:
"Your wife tastes like Honey Nut Cherios." :)
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#7 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

trash talk? try real and violent bodily harm. it's what puts me off from sports alltogether.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users