Malazan Empire: Distinction between Meanas and Rashan...question - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Distinction between Meanas and Rashan...question

#1 User is offline   benelori 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hey hey!

I'm re-reading House of Chains, and I was wondering, if I'm missing something here, and I remember that I was wondering about this when I first read it too...

When Bidithal talks with Heboric, and Heboric is having a monologue about a mage, he is distinctly saying that the former is a Rashan mage...and Bidithal reasserts this later in the book as well if I remember correctly...but when Heboric says that, he is saying that the cult didn't like the ascending of Ammanas and Cotillion, so it links Rashan with Meanas...

Same with when Lostara is having her recollection...here's a quote:

"You are nothing, child. Not a dancer. Your body is in service to Rashan, and Rashan is this realm's manifestation of Shadow, the drawing of darkness to light. When you dance, it is not you that is watched. It is the shadow your body paints. The shadow is the dancer, Lostara Yil. Not you."

So yeah...I'm a bit confused....now I know that as far as magical manifestation goes, Light, Dark and Shadow are linked closely, but there's still a clear distinction between these realms...

So...what am I missing? Can someone offer some good explanation? Or is it a typo/mistake? o.O

This post has been edited by benelori: 18 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Different people and gods have different views of what aspects the different warrens have and how they are expressed. By example not all Shadow cults worship Shadowthrone...
and you'll see Meanas ref's as a warren of Illusion and/or Shadow, but Mokra can also involve illusion and for that matter so can Thyr...

My running theory as of HoC was that Meanas, Rashan and Thyr were the component parts of Kurald Emurlahn set loose when the warren broke.

Generally the nature of the warrens is a big RAFO.

If you're on a re-read, you may want to post in the subforum of the latest book you're up to, or the general topics forum so you can discuss without spoiler risk.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   benelori 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 November 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Different people and gods have different views of what aspects the different warrens have and how they are expressed. By example not all Shadow cults worship Shadowthrone...
and you'll see Meanas ref's as a warren of Illusion and/or Shadow, but Mokra can also involve illusion and for that matter so can Thyr...

Aha...yes that's true, I remember in subsequent books, that Mockra is referred to as at the border of these realms, or as the offspring of shadow...

My running theory as of HoC was that Meanas, Rashan and Thyr were the component parts of Kurald Emurlahn set loose when the warren broke.

Generally the nature of the warrens is a big RAFO.

Aha, yeah, that makes sense now, and going by what was said above, Mockra might an offspring of Emurlahn as well...

If you're on a re-read, you may want to post in the subforum of the latest book you're up to, or the general topics forum so you can discuss without spoiler risk.

I'm at HoC right now, so it's good....

Thanks!

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postbenelori, on 18 November 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

I'm at HoC right now, so it's good....

Thanks!

Most welcome.

Also, i meant if you're up to a later book and now going back then post there. If you're on the HoC reread but haven't readt MT yet, nevermind.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users