• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Malazan reader

#1 User is offline   Hoods Marble Balls 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hi there

I have been trying to get one of my close friends to read the malazan series for a while now, however he finds the 10 book series quite daunting to start. Primarily due to his reading speed, MBoTF is probably going to be a year of reading for him. As a result I'm Thinking of getting him to read Forge of Darkness first. Is this a viable option for a new reader? So i was wondering if anyone has taken this route to get into the series.

For me personally Forge of Darkness was one of the greatest books I have ever read. But I was wondering If this held up without reading the main series

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

While you could read Forge of Darkness first, I wouldn't recommend it. There's a lot of joy in how much it overturns the expectations that are built up throughout the Book of the Fallen series.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

I tend to agree with Defiance, but on the other hand, since your friend is a total stranger to us, you might as well use him for nefarious experiments like this one and report back to the board.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

A year of reading..? MBotF was about two and a half for me, excluding the time I spent waiting for tCG's release and the 3 or so years I spent picking up/putting down/restarting GotM (yes, yes, I'm ashamed to say it; I'm one of those for whom GotM was a slog on the very first read.) Although granted, (a) I'm a slow reader, especially when it comes to SE and (;) I was bouncing back to my to-read-pile and reading other books between MBotF installments.

Anyway, as to your friend, the verdict will be out for me on whether or not the trilogy is a viable alternative entry point to the series until it's done. After FoD I tend to lean towards no, though.

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 30 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#5 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

I don't think FoD works well as a starting point. Much of the appeal comes from getting insight into characters and races we've met in the main series and seeing how it all plays out. Without having read Malazan, the story doesn't seem to be nearly as engaging (I probably wouldn't be inclined to pick up GOTM). Just my 2 cents.

#6 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

No not a good starting point... start with NOK if he wants to start with a smaller book... although i didnt really like NOK...

I think it took me under a year to read the series, so it isnt the most difficult reading in the world, although at times the plot lines can get complicated, most of the books are easy reads.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users