Malazan Empire: If you die in RL would you want us to know? - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If you die in RL would you want us to know?

#1 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

Kind of a morbid topic but I guess it's valid. As we are an online community wouldn't you want you the people you talk to around the world you talk to everyday to know? Say Someone just quit posting wouldn't it spike your interest why they did? So basically I'm just wondering for people that have wills do y'all have instructions with your user name and password for a loved one to let us know about it? Lmao

Ed: I put this here over the Discussion forum for traffic reasons.

This post has been edited by Briar King: 05 November 2013 - 04:03 AM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:05 AM

Eh, I have enough people on both here and bookface to let you know the horrible horrible truth of my tragic death in an unfortunate milkshake accident.

If I actually die before the site does I want the Religion subforum to be renamed The Illuyankas Memorial Bullshitting Bastion subforum, thanks in advance.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

Yes. I would want a family member to write up the general circumstances of my death in a post, tell people to drink more scotch and to put as much awesome as they can fit into their lives.

This place, Fbook and InStrength would get the posts. I really don't go to other places, so that's easy enough for even a somewhat tech-phobic family member to do.

Maybe I should write up a mad-lib of it and have my little brother with the wicked sense of humor fill it out when the time comes.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

Someone dying on the board probably still wouldn't be as emo as Brood's leaving thread.

On topic, yes I guess I'd like people do know, no idea how you guys would though. I'd probably put my password as part of my will, along with a request for someone to abuse my powers as hilariously as possible.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:44 AM

Yeah. I've met a fair few members and would want them to know.

That being said, I'd be interested in my family's reaction into JUST how nerdy I was. They have an idea, but being a long-term contributor to an extremely specific fantasy message board... they don't know that. Then again everything is password protected and they'd probably never bother to look, so.... If I ever stop posting for like a year. There you go.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

I'll have my sister let you know. She knows about the site even if she can't sign in as me. And the first 10 people to post their mailing address in that thread will get one of my finger bones strung on a necklace. Supplies limited, offer subject to "whatever's left after the beasts are done feasting."
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 November 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

Now with my luck having started this thread I ll prob be blasted by a bolt of lightning tomorrow!

If you get 21 jigawatts you might just be able to break out some truly kickass rap at your mom's dance.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

Now with my luck having started this thread I ll prob be blasted by a bolt of lightning tomorrow!

More likely to be taken out by a random Deregoth/Karsa fight whilst sleeping than lightning I reckon :) :)
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#9 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 05 November 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

More likely to be taken out by a random Deregoth/Karsa fight whilst sleeping than lightning I reckon :) :)

But as a real reply, i plan to become a much more active member now I have actually joined, so hopefully as discussions break out I can contribute, my contribution is currently limited by the fact that I have yet to finish the entire series! Currently nearing the end of Return of the Crimson Guard, not touched Forge, or the Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach so i have some ways to go!
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#10 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

View Postworry, on 05 November 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'll have my sister let you know. She knows about the site even if she can't sign in as me. And the first 10 people to post their mailing address in that thread will get one of my finger bones strung on a necklace. Supplies limited, offer subject to "whatever's left after the beasts are done feasting."

There are twenty seven or twenty nine bones in each hand. You probably have enough to indulge everyone contributing to such a thread.

Or are you reserving the others for other forums? Traitorous whelp.

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

...I think you all would notice if I died. Maybe only when the forum's bills stopped getting paid, or when Xae noticed that I hadn't bugged him for a while, but you'd notice. :)

But more seriously, there are some of you on here who I'd like to imagine would be amongst the first to know, being awesome RL friends. And the rest of you...well, I've known most of you long enough that I'd be down with someone logging on here to let you know.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#12 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

If I die I wouldn't be in a position to care if you knew. But to answer the question properly, I don't think I care quite enough now either. You people are good for a laugh, but still essentially just pixels on a screen. I do feel we have come a lot closer since I've got myself a smartphone. Any relationship primarily had while pooping is bound to be an intimate one. But still only pixels.

Now that I'm writing this I'm not sure if I have a need for any public announcement of my death. Those who need to know will be told one way or another. Those that don't, well, they don need to know, now do they?

Besides, I'll see most of you in hell anyway. Let me know when you arrive, I'll give you a tour of the palace.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#13 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

View Postworry, on 05 November 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Can I keep your brain :-)

#14 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

I do hope that someone would get on the forum and let you guys know. I have way to many friends whom I have met through the forum to not want them to know and get drunk/or rejoice accordingly. I would rather they didn't notify anyone of my death using my log in that just seems especially morbid.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#15 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

View Postamphibian, on 05 November 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

There are twenty seven or twenty nine bones in each hand. You probably have enough to indulge everyone contributing to such a thread.

Or are you reserving the others for other forums? Traitorous whelp.

All true, but I was only picturing the proximal phalanges for ideal size and shape. I suppose the Bonehunters weren't so picky, but I finally have a use for my B.A. in Osteoaesthetics and I'm not gonna waste it.

View Postnacht, on 05 November 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Can I keep your brain :-)

Sorry, that's already disintegrating.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#16 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostVengeance, on 05 November 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

I do hope that someone would get on the forum and let you guys know. I have way to many friends whom I have met through the forum to not want them to know and get drunk/or rejoice accordingly. I would rather they didn't notify anyone of my death using my log in that just seems especially morbid.

Finally, the non-Mafia use for the alts reveal their head.

"Pathshaper: Ruse is dead. The real world decided to vote him/her out last night. It was swift and merciful."

And then apparently some of you mafia players will then go off on long, self-amusing rants about nothing in particular.

#17 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

View Postamphibian, on 05 November 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 05 November 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Finally, the non-Mafia use for the alts reveal their head.

"Pathshaper: Ruse is dead. The real world decided to vote him/her out last night. It was swift and merciful."

And then apparently some of you mafia players will then go off on long, self-amusing rants about nothing in particular.

like this:

Vote Amphibian

for mockery most foul. Except I never indulge in rants, but I would try to honor the fallen Venge, whose own tendencies are legendary among the mafia addicts that frequent this site, and who knows, perhaps even other sites so chock full of nerds that even the honored George RR Martin's glacial work pace seems mercurial in some odd metaphorical way compared to the sheer geekery to be found there, as I am sure you are aware.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#18 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

Depends how I died. If it was something heroic or (much more likely) hilarious, heck yes! Would make sure the word got out.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

I was probably wearing pants.

#20 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Really I'm pretty sure you're gonna get strangled to death when you try to wear a pair of pants as a tie by accident.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users