#1 User is offline   ChrisW 

• Da'tsang
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 January 2003 - 05:55 AM

A more extentsive FAQ is under development HERE

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

• Who is Steven Erikson?

Steven Erikson was born in Toronto, grew up in Winnipeg, and now lives in the UK with his wife and son. He is an anthropologist and archaeologist by training, as well as being a graduate of the Iowa Writer's Workshop.

• How many books will there be?

10 books:
    Gardens of the Moon
    Deadhouse Gates
    Memories of Ice
    House of Chains
    Midnight Tides
    The Bonehunters
    Reaper's Gale
    Toll the Hounds
    Dust of Dreams
    The Crippled God

Blood Follows

The Healthy Dead

• Has he written any other books?

Yes under the name Steve Lundin:

A Ruin of Feathers
    Revolvo and other Canadian Tales
    This River Awakens

A Science Fiction novella "'The Devil Delivered" is forthcoming from Pspublishing

Set in central North America, a few decades from now, with as many projections and trends taken to their logical conclusion as I could find. It will be long novella, by the way, and grim as hell. - SE on 'The Devil Delivered"

• When is the next book due out?

"House of Chains" is now available and "Midnight Tides" is on track.

I am five chapters into 'Midnight Tides' and sailing along nicely. Before the speculations go too wild, I will say this: a new continent (not Assail, in fact, not even mentioned yet), new characters (mostly) and a competing interpretation of the pantheon and its mythos. One last note: for those who liked the city of Darujhistan, wait till you walk the streets of Letheras.
    -Steven Erikson
    Update: "Midnight Tides" is complete. Official release date is March 2004(UK)

• What are "Blood Follows" and "The Healthy Dead"?

"Blood Follows" is a novella that introduces Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. It takes place well before the events in Memories of Ice.
    Synopsis : All is not well in Lamentable Moll. A sinister, diabolical killer stalks the port city's narrow, barrow-humped streets, and panic grips the citizens like a fever. Emancipor Reese is no exception, and indeed, with his legendary ill luck, it's worse for him than for most. Not only was his previous employer the unknown killer's latest victim, but Emancipor is out of work. And, with his dearest wife terminally comfortable with the manner of life to which she asserts she has become accustomed (or at least to which she aspires) -- for her and their two whelps -- all other terrors grow limp and pale for poor Emancipor.

But perhaps his luck has finally changed, for two strangers have come to Lamentable Moll... and they have nailed to the centre post in Fishmonger's Round a note requesting the services of a manservant.

"The Healthy Dead" is a forthcoming novella once again featuring Bauchelain and Korbal Broach.

Both books are published by PS Publishing. They are limtied signed editions and "Blood Follows" is sold out(a reprint will be happening sometime in 2004).

• What is the Malazan Book of the Fallen?

The title was inspired by Napoleon's book of the same name, listing every soldier that died during his reign. Obviously, I saw in that more than a simple list, at least insofar as what I took from it. It's basically a history, or a slice of history, loosely grouped (but not exclusive to) around a single empire. There's a sobriety to it that appeals to me. -Steven Erikson

• When will the books be released in the USA?

Regarding TOR, my US agent tells me the final tee's are being dotted and the
    eyes crossed on the contract. From what I understand, the re-release from
    Book 1 onward starts in 2004, not sure what month. Hardcover to start.
    -Steven Erikson

• Are the books available in Hard Cover?

No. At the Moment they are only available in Trade Paperback and Paperback.
    Update:Book Four "House of Chains" is being released in Hard Cover.

• Is there an Official Malazan forum?

Yes it can be found HERE. Mr Erikson drops in every once in awhile to answer questions..

• When did you first start to write and why?

I wrote my first short story when I was 21, then followed the next year with a seven hundred page fantasy novel that was pure garbage but taught me a lot (specifically, that I was capable of actually finishing something). As to why, that's a bit harder to answer. I was doing oil paintings and illustration and had, a couple years earlier, been put forward by my school for a whole variety of government funded art courses, the result of which destroyed my desire to paint and draw. I needed an alternative creative endeavour, and since a sense of narrative was always present in my painting and drawing.... -Steven Erikson

• Who or what has influenced you the most?

I think I can pinpoint one novel in particular that has had the profoundest influence on me, from the first time I read it when I was about fifteen to this day, and that is Lord of the Flies. I don't think I knew at first that it was science fiction -- which it is -- nor was I cognisant of the full breadth of its themes, but it has always stayed with me. It is a fearless novel. -Steven Erikson

• What are the top five books in your genre/Who are your top 5 authors?

Top five Fantasy novels:

* 'Last Call' by Tim Powers

* 'Grendel' by John Gardner

* 'Ash' by Mary Gentle

* 'The Black Company' by Glen Cook

* 'Lord Foul's Bane' by S. R. Donaldson

Top five Fantasy authors:

* Paul Kearney

* Tim Powers

* Glen Cook

* Mary Gentle

* Fritz Leiber
    -Steven Erikson
    [/b]

Thanks to Steven Erikson and Transworld Publishers.

[This message was edited by Admin on 22 January 2004 at 05:02 PM.]

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users