Malazan Empire: recreational firearms - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

recreational firearms

#21 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Currently involved in firearms, reading and TV series now that my daughter's soccer season is done until spring.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

Ok...not a big gun crowd...is this an ethical aversion or lack of exposure?

#22 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Most of us aren't American, which I think counts for most of it. I've fired a number of hunting rifles and shotguns, but the love of guns for themselves has never made much sense to me.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#23 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostDaeg, on 12 November 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

What Morgoth says. In my country whether its for personnel defense, sports shooting or hunting getting a gun licence is like pulling teeth. It can take years, cost thousands in bribes and even for all that effort theirs no guarantee they wont lose the paperwork and make you start again. My friend has been trying for four years I think and still has not recieved an answer.

Edit-Just asked my friend what hi sstory was, due to the widespread corruption I discussed above apparently the goverment has cancelled all current applications and is making everyone start fresh!

This post has been edited by Cause: 12 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

#24 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 12 November 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Most of us aren't American, which I think counts for most of it. I've fired a number of hunting rifles and shotguns, but the love of guns for themselves has never made much sense to me.

View PostCause, on 12 November 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

What Morgoth says. In my country whether its for personnel defense, sports shooting or hunting getting a gun licence is like pulling teeth. It can take years, cost thousands in bribes and even for all that effort theirs no guarantee they wont lose the paperwork and make you start again. My friend has been trying for four years I think and still has not recieved an answer.

Edit-Just asked my friend what hi sstory was, due to the widespread corruption I discussed above apparently the goverment has cancelled all current applications and is making everyone start fresh!

Indeed the majority of the site are UK based where there isnt much opportunity to fire guns, especially in the situation Bubba posted. My gf for example has posh relatives and as a result has fired both a shotgun and a pistol on her uncles farm or something like that.

#25 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

I grew up on a Ranch in Oregon and have fired a lot of guns. Guns to me have always just been another tool that you keep around for instances that call for it's use (hunting rattlesnakes,Coyotes, and Jack Rabbits). I have never had a strong love of guns. I have a strong love of Women and finely crafted beer. I guess that it is just priorities. :unworthy:

Being an expert shot is cool though and good for Bubba to take the proper classes and training to become proficient.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#26 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Currently involved in firearms, reading and TV series now that my daughter's soccer season is done until spring.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 12 November 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

I see. It is very nice to have the freedom to choose one way or another.

I grew up on a ranch for some time and a rifle was more than a tool. It kept the predators away...both animal and human. Rifles were the only firearms we had and we didn't waste ammo for fun.

30 years later, I've been exposed to hand guns and so called "assault rifles". I never realized the level of control and precision it takes to become proficient with these things. On top of everything else, they are quite fun and relaxing as long as the proper respect and safety is practiced.

I live in a state where we can conceal handguns without a permit. Anyone can carry a pistol in their pocket and its completely legal, unless of course that person is forbidden to own a firearm by law. I don't carry because I don't feel threatened. This is a hobby. Maybe a little more dangerous than some but not as risky as others.

#27 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostVengeance, on 12 November 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

I grew up on a Ranch in Oregon and have fired a lot of guns. Guns to me have always just been another tool that you keep around for instances that call for it's use (hunting rattlesnakes,Coyotes, and Jack Rabbits). I have never had a strong love of guns. I have a strong love of Women and finely crafted beer. I guess that it is just priorities. :unworthy:

Being an expert shot is cool though and good for Bubba to take the proper classes and training to become proficient.

Yeah, I have a strong love for women also. That's why I have 4 kid. =)

#28 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostCause, on 12 November 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

That's unfortunate.

We have some states that are similar but for the most part it isn't a problem. We can get silencers or fully automatic weapons by petitioning to the government in a similar manner although it sounds like it would be more likely for me to own a machine gun than for you to own a pistol.

#29 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I have fired every kind of target shooting thing - slingshots, bows, crossbows, paintballs, pellet, cap, biathlon guns etc - but for an actual firearm.

I don't mind guns, but I'm not in an area where I hunt or am worried about self defense in that sort of manner. If there was some sort of community owned gun place, where I could store "my" gun, I'd get a pistol and rifle when I get in my 40s. But until then, I'll just miss out.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

I doubt you are missing out, its only a hobby and certainly not the highest priority in my life. If you ever have a chance I would highly encourage it...if not...then you can still die happily without the experience

#31 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

Went to the range today. Its been around -20 Fahrenheit here for a week and then about a week to warm up so I haven't been out shooting.

Always feels good to be shooting. The mental concentration, the physical focus...and then the clang of the metal targets. Was great.

I've been focusing more on the handgun than the rifle. I find this more challenging and more rewarding.

#32 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

My wife and I went shooting a couple of times when we lived in the US together. She's one of a very few Japanese women in the world who has fired a handgun I suspect. This experience was provided by my brother in law. My immediate family, however, are not gun people at all. I grew up in a home where the only guns I ever saw were on TV (which always shocks my students here in japan, they think guns are lying on the ground everywhere in the US and every household must have a dozen of each make and type).

So, in my first two (and only two times) shooting, my wife beat the pants off me. My bro-in-law said that's pretty common, since men feel they have to be all manly and awesome and put pressure on themselves so they don't shoot as well.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#33 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostShinrei, on 03 January 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

My wife and I went shooting a couple of times when we lived in the US together. She's one of a very few Japanese women in the world who has fired a handgun I suspect. This experience was provided by my brother in law. My immediate family, however, are not gun people at all. I grew up in a home where the only guns I ever saw were on TV (which always shocks my students here in japan, they think guns are lying on the ground everywhere in the US and every household must have a dozen of each make and type).

So, in my first two (and only two times) shooting, my wife beat the pants off me. My bro-in-law said that's pretty common, since men feel they have to be all manly and awesome and put pressure on themselves so they don't shoot as well.

Very nice. I think that women shoot better at first because they don't pull the trigger as hard as a guy does. Men learn to pull easier as time goes by and flinch less in expectation of recoil. Just my opinion though.

My wife is from Chicago and had never seen a gun before either. Laws are very strict there. Recently, Chicago has developed a conceal/carry law. My wife's father is applying for a permit which I believe is directly related to having gone shooting with me this summer.

I used to travel for work and have moved around this country a lot but I have never been out of the US. I always thought Japan would be nice to visit although I suspect not knowing the language would be a huge let down.

#34 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:59 AM

I used to have a nice collection. My Kimber Classic 45 was my favorite. I got my marksman badge in the Army and had a conceal carry permit when I lived in AZ but I gave them all up when I moved to California. Too much of a hassle to deal with permits etc.

#35 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

I shot a friend's 357/38 a couple weeks ago. It's a retired service revolver. Very accurate. Not a fan of the all-metal construction or the 6 round capacity but the accuracy and stopping power is pretty sweet.

Kimbers are a well respected brand. A little pricey though.

Glock is importing a new 380 that is designed for conceal/carry..might look into for my wife to replace her s&w bodyguard.

#36 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

View PostDaeg, on 04 January 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

View PostShinrei, on 03 January 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

Very nice. I think that women shoot better at first because they don't pull the trigger as hard as a guy does. Men learn to pull easier as time goes by and flinch less in expectation of recoil. Just my opinion though.

My wife is from Chicago and had never seen a gun before either. Laws are very strict there. Recently, Chicago has developed a conceal/carry law. My wife's father is applying for a permit which I believe is directly related to having gone shooting with me this summer.

I used to travel for work and have moved around this country a lot but I have never been out of the US. I always thought Japan would be nice to visit although I suspect not knowing the language would be a huge let down.

Nah, Japan is easy to navigate and have a good time in even if you don't speak the language. I moved here without knowing anything beyond basic greetings.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#37 User is offline   Daeg 

• Lieutenant

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Well...if I ever get the chance to go to Japan, I won't hesitate. I will probably have to leave my guns at home. :-)

#38 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:44 AM

I'm looking for a new home defense weapon. I strongly prefer shotguns for that purpose* but my peripheral neuropathy makes one more impractical. Falling over =/= safe scatter gun handling.

The neuropathy and carpal tunnel make a handgun choice less easy as well. It needs to be something medium framed and probably no larger caliber than a 9mm or .40. That knocks a lot of the usual Glocks out of consideration. I don't care about conceal carry suitability which helps. I also don't particularly care about capacity as I'm not a fan of spray and pray, so a revolver is acceptable.

Edit: This is a request for advice btw. :D

*Looking at the wrong end of a 12 guage tends to make one consider mortality much more than a pistol barrel does no matter the caliber.

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 08 March 2015 - 05:45 AM

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#39 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for all the advice. :D

Picked up a Springfield XD.Mod2 in 9mm today. Very nice on my first box through it. Recoil was almost non-existent with 115grain bullets.

But, seriously, it really should take longer than 20 minutes to buy a handgun, 225 cartridges, 2 magazines, and a holster. That's just insane.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users