Malazan Empire: Answer me, these Questions three (Actually 5) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Answer me, these Questions three (Actually 5)

#1 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

Just finished Midnight Tides and Night of Knives. I've done my homework and read through the last couple pages in the forums, but I've got a couple questions left:

1. In the second half of the prologue (Pages 25-27 in the TOR paperback) Mael tells Gothos not to destroy, but to preserve. Why does Mael ask this / what is his plan? I can't seem to wrap my head around how this is relevant. He also mentions that he's in cahoots with big bad Kilmandaros. What are they collaborating on? Or do we figure that out later?

2. Lilac the Kenryll'ah mentions huge catfish during one of her talks. Does this mean her and her kin are from The Nascent? Or some other realm?

3. What exactly is the sea demon that the Ceda & Bugg trap under Settle Lake? Just some creature that the Tiste Edur have enslaved thanks to TCG's powers?

Speaking of TCG, if knocking over his tent is the key to incapacitating him, why hasn't anyone done that sooner?

4. What's the deal with the Eternal Domicile? Why is it seemingly so important to Tehol's big plan? Is it just another way for him to get controlling stocks, or is there more to it than that? I recall Bugg trying to fix it up and deal with all the flooding and sinking.

5. This one's been bugging me for a while. I'm sure some of you guys, like me, enjoy when you figure out what the cover page shows. What exactly is the cover portraying?

Thanks in advance. You're all extremely good looking, intelligent and well endowed.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

1. Why he wants to preserve I cannot recall. I think it is just a plot mechanic to explain why things are as weird as they are on lether.

As for the collaboration, yes, that is a RAFO later.

2. The Edur made a pact with a kingdom/empire in the world the Kenrylah demons are from. What the deal was is not clear but it involves the flooding of the Nascent. Most likely Rhulad diverted a river... or an entire sea? ... In exchange for foot soldiers. The water from the demon world ended up in the nascent realm.

3. The demon was one of the thousands of Gods remembered on the pillars in Maels realm. The edur stole one of them.

As for the knocking down of the CGs tent. First you need to get close enough to actually do that. Keep in mind, Wital was already inside the CGs barrier and I think the CG underestimated the mortal.

4. There may be more to it than meets the eye but mainly I think it was just a money sink. Tehol doesn't know a lot about Magic. On the other hand Mael may have been curious about what the Errant was up to and what was being done about the Empty Hold/Throne.

5. The cover doesn't mean anything. It's just a cool cover.

#3 User is offline   Studious Lock 

• Whore of the State
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens
  • Interests:Playing sexy, sexy mandolin.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

What Apt said. But for 1. Mael is a god with a decent head on him (which cannot be said for them all) so he probably realises that by wiping away history you destroy any chance of learning from it. Thats what I thought when I first read it anyway.
Hi, I'm Tom, and I put the Man in Mandolin.

#4 User is offline   Dwolf63 

• Recruit

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostDadding, on 31 October 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Just finished Midnight Tides and Night of Knives. I've done my homework and read through the last couple pages in the forums, but I've got a couple questions left:

Speaking of TCG, if knocking over his tent is the key to incapacitating him, why hasn't anyone done that sooner?

Considering Midnight Tides takes place sometime before the bulk of the story in the first four books, this is probably the earliest anyone's clashed with the Crippled God since the last chaining. The tent would represent a kind of mini realm where conditions of existence are less of a drain on him, allowing him to focus more of his power and attention elsewhere. Think of it as a kind of magically sustained life support system. More than likely up until then no one had realized what he was doing.

By the time he's encountered in the first four books, he's probably realized his vulnerability and taken extra steps to keep his "tent" from being kicked down so easily.

Also bear in mind that our friend the smith was praying to Mael at this point,and may therefore have been invested with a trickle of godly power that would have facilitated his attack on said tent.

#5 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

1. In the second half of the prologue (Pages 25-27 in the TOR paperback) Mael tells Gothos not to destroy, but to preserve. Why does Mael ask this / what is his plan? I can't seem to wrap my head around how this is relevant. He also mentions that he's in cahoots with big bad Kilmandaros. What are
they collaborating on? Or do we figure that out later?

The answer is giving right there. It looks like Mael has a sentimental streak and wants to preserve history (so that the future can learn from it) and Gothos deemed the request to be in good intent. I also think this is a reference to the ice age where whole animals were frozen within ice (giving a snapshot of the eternal struggle of life)

Mael was silent for a time, then he sighed and said, 'With your ice, Gothos, do not destroy all of this. Instead, I ask that you . . . preserve.'

'Why?' 'I have my reasons.'

'I am pleased for you. What are they?'

The Elder god shot him a dark look. 'Impudent bastard.'

'Why change?'

'In the seas, Jaghut, time is unveiled. In the depths ride currents of vast antiquity. In the shallows whisper the future. The tides flow between them in ceaseless exchange. Such is my realm. Such is my knowledge. Seal this devastation in your damned ice, Gothos. In this place, freeze time itself. Do this, and I will accept an indebtedness to you . . . which one day you might find useful.'

2. Lilac the Kenryll'ah mentions huge catfish during one of her talks. Does this mean her and her kin are from The Nascent? Or some other realm?

3. What exactly is the sea demon that the Ceda & Bugg trap under Settle Lake? Just some creature that the Tiste Edur have enslaved thanks to TCG's powers?

He was a forgotten god (and therefore a being of great power) who was enslaved.

Without their names, the gods vanish. The crime committed here is beyond measure. The obliteration of the names, the binding of a new name, the making of a slave. Beyond measure, mortal. In answer I was made, to guard those that remain. It is my task.'

I think we should take this more symbolically than literally. Basically the nachts were suggesting that Withal should stop being a wuss and show some fight. It is a mental thing.

4. What's the deal with the Eternal Domicile? Why is it seemingly so important to Tehol's big plan? Is it just another way for him to get controlling stocks, or is there more to it than that? I recall Bugg trying to fix it up and deal with all the flooding and sinking.

The Eternal Domicile is how Bugg's construction starts taking off. (Like the dot com boom in the late 90's)

Not yet. Now, seven properties are for sale around the fifth wing of the Eternal Domicile. They're going cheap.' 'Because they're sinking.' 'Right. And we're going to fix that. And once we've done that, expect a visit from the Royal Surveyor and a motley collection of hopeful architects. Ladies, prepare to get rich.'

He came within sight of the Eternal Domicile. Well, he reminded himself, at least that had been a success. The Royal Engineer, aptly named Grum, had been a reluctant, envious deliverer of a royal contract, specifying Bugg's Construction to assume control of shoring up the compromised wings of the new palace. He had been even less pleased when Bugg ordered the old crews to vacate, taking their equipment with them.

Bugg had then spent most of the following day wading flooded tunnels, just to get a feel of the magnitude of the task ahead. True to Tehol's prediction, Bugg's modest company was climbing in the Tolls, frighteningly fast. Since the list of shares was sealed, Bugg had managed to sell four thousand and twenty-two per cent of shares, and still hold a controlling interest. Of course, he'd be headlining the Drownings if the deceit was ever discovered. 'But I'm prepared to take that risk,' Tehol had said with a broad smile. Funny man, his master.

5. This one's been bugging me for a while. I'm sure some of you guys, like me, enjoy when you figure out what the cover page shows. What exactly is the cover portraying?

It is showing some semblance of tides (waves) beating against a mausoleum/crypt (probably of a king and a sword as a symbol of his power). I think it is meant to be moonlight or dawn breaking through clouds.
I think it indicates history repeating itself in the form of the powerful ruling others with violence but ultimately the tyrant dies and the cycle repeats again.

This post has been edited by nacht: 01 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

#6 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

Thanks in advance. You're all extremely good looking, intelligent and well endowed.

This made me LOL at work haha

I can't really add much more sadly as all the answers have been provided! :)
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#7 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 31 October 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

2. The Edur made a pact with a kingdom/empire in the world the Kenrylah demons are from. What the deal was is not clear but it involves the flooding of the Nascent. Most likely Rhulad diverted a river... or an entire sea? ... In exchange for foot soldiers. The water from the demon world ended up in the nascent realm.
Wasn't it a means of destroying the fleet of the Kenryllah's enemies by throwing them to their deaths through a portal in to the Nascent?
I am the Onyx Wizards

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

I remember something like that but you'd think the ships that were stranded in the Nascent would have been bigger and more alien then wouldn't you?

#9 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thanks everyone, as always, you never fail to deliver! One last question if I may: any significance to Tehol's pet insect, Ezgara?

#10 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostDadding, on 01 November 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

Thanks everyone, as always, you never fail to deliver! One last question if I may: any significance to Tehol's pet insect, Ezgara?

You are in for a treat in Reaper's gale. Ezgara is the star of the show :-) Rush through Bonehunters so you can get to it.
I think this question might be a plant so that we can harp about the sheer awesomeness of Reaper's Gale.

This post has been edited by nacht: 01 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

#11 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 01 November 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

I remember something like that but you'd think the ships that were stranded in the Nascent would have been bigger and more alien then wouldn't you?

Ah, the power of the Kindle.
This is the relevant quote.

‘I am sorry,’ Trull said. ‘This alliance you will attempt with the demon tyrants—what is the emperor seeking from it? What does Rhulad plan to offer in return?’

‘Are you truly interested, son?’

‘I am.’

Uruth shot Fear a glance, then sighed.

‘The Korvalahrai are seafarers. They are reaching into the Kenryll’ahlands via a vast river, and even now approach the heart in a fleet carrying all the Korvalahrai. Rhulad’s power is such that he can divert that river, for a time. The invading fleet will be destroyed in the conflagration. Achieving such a thing would in turn serve Edur needs, as well. In return, we are given more demons for our war, perhaps a minor Kenryll’ah or two, who are far better versed in the arts of battle than their subject Kenyll’rah.’ She turned to Fear. ‘I will need another demon.’

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

Your quote fu is strong, sensei.

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Nacht has certainly become the quote fu master recently, outdoing ancient decrepit elders like Apt, D'rek, and Tiam who all basically ought to be locked away in retirement dungeons nowadays.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

I haven't done a reread since around Reapers Gale I think. Used to be I'd take a break from studying and look up pages for discussions in the forums. Now I can hardly remember the names of the books.

Still, I don't think anyone has ever beaten the legendary quote fu of Vaiski.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users