Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whiskeyjack

#1 User is offline   Rapscallion 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

I have about 150 pages left to read in HoC but one thing is already very clear.

In every scene where Fiddler is involved, he exhibits fragments of Whiskeyjack's personality.

This leads me to think about Quick Ben, who was a High Priest of Rashan and without a doubt a nasty bastard. Throughout the series (at least, in so far) I can't picture him doing any of the things portrayed in Lostara Yil's flashback.

Kalam was a Claw and a remorseless killer apparently comfortable with luring the Bridgeburners into a trap. I don't think I need to explain things any further.

I think this is something the author intended, to have Whiskeyjack live through his squad's survivors. Save perhaps for Paran, whose short time under his command was rather tumultuous. Nonetheless this makes his death easier to swallow.

Is there anyone else I'm missing? An exception to the rule, maybe?

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

While I wouldn't pigeonhole any of these people, even pre-Bridgeburners, I still like the way you're thinking of WJ's effect on them. The one you're missing is Mallet, but that's cuz you haven't seen him again as of yet. You'll have to wait and see if he shows up again and if your hypothesis holds up.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Oh and I guess Sorry was in that squad too.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Rapscallion 

• Recruit

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

View Postworry, on 30 October 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

Given how Cotillion seems much more humane in DG and beyond compared to the mass-murdering, prisoner-torturing god from GotM, I'm getting the feeling that Whiskeyjack's personnality rubbed off on Dancer rather than Apsalar.

I'm still early in the series though so maybe he'll put that mantle on again.

#5 User is offline   king in chains 

• the fifth beatle

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

whiskeyjack ,as high in my esteem as martin luther king,may the man rest in peace
1...2 freddys coming for you

#6 User is offline   king in chains 

• the fifth beatle

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

View Postking in chains, on 30 October 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

whiskeyjack ,as high in my esteem as martin luther king,may the man rest in peace

oh the blood curdling irony!

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

I think you are perhaps thinking a bit too highly of the surviving Bridgeburners. The ones we follow do indeed seem a lot nicer than the murderous reputation that the company has but on the other hand, these are soldiers. There will come a scene in a later book that will show you just what Fiddler is capable of when he's pissed off.

I guess you have to take into account that they were once younger, more ignorant men. War changes people. For some they grow colder, other people might become wiser, especially while serving under a commander who believes in honor.

#8 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

Please don't put any spoilers in the title of posts, because the titles are visible to everyone.

-Grief.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#9 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 31 October 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

I think you are perhaps thinking a bit too highly of the surviving Bridgeburners. The ones we follow do indeed seem a lot nicer than the murderous reputation that the company has but on the other hand, these are soldiers. There will come a scene in a later book that will show you just what Fiddler is capable of when he's pissed off.

I guess you have to take into account that they were once younger, more ignorant men. War changes people. For some they grow colder, other people might become wiser, especially while serving under a commander who believes in honor.

Personally I can't think highly enough of the surviving Bridgeburners. Each time one dies a little bit of my soul is sent to the abyss. These characters are so fully and well written that I can picture each and every one of them. Almost all of the most heart wrenching parts of the book series involves a bridgeburner or more. There are a few exceptions of course that I will not go into due to spoilers. The way that Whiskeyjack rubs off on people and causes a HUGE shockwave throughout the story I think is fantastic and he is shown through the other characters as they evolve and grow is a great example of one man that can make a difference and impact the world. I can't wait to find out more about Whiskeyjacks past (currently reading RoCG) hoping he will get some limelight! Whiskeyjack impacts Anomander Rake for crying out loud! If that isn't an example of sheer character presence and impact shaping the world I don't know what is. I am actually getting a bit sad writing this knowing what I now know having read the whole 10 main series.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#10 User is offline   king in chains 

• the fifth beatle

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

what i find to be both the best and worst aspects of eriksons writing are his abilities to portray the futility of conflict ,case in point ,the fate of the bridgeburners

#11 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostRapscallion, on 30 October 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 30 October 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

Given how Cotillion seems much more humane in DG and beyond compared to the mass-murdering, prisoner-torturing god from GotM, I'm getting the feeling that Whiskeyjack's personnality rubbed off on Dancer rather than Apsalar.

I'm still early in the series though so maybe he'll put that mantle on again.

I was always surprised how much he seemed to change throughout the entire series.... From the first impression we get in GOTM and what he and the hounds and ST do and then to watch his interactions with characters later espicially a certain lady who had some sweet dance moves.

This post has been edited by theocean: 08 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

#12 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostRapscallion, on 30 October 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

I have about 150 pages left to read in HoC but one thing is already very clear.

In every scene where Fiddler is involved, he exhibits fragments of Whiskeyjack's personality.

This leads me to think about Quick Ben, who was a High Priest of Rashan and without a doubt a nasty bastard. Throughout the series (at least, in so far) I can't picture him doing any of the things portrayed in Lostara Yil's flashback.

Kalam was a Claw and a remorseless killer apparently comfortable with luring the Bridgeburners into a trap. I don't think I need to explain things any further.

I think this is something the author intended, to have Whiskeyjack live through his squad's survivors. Save perhaps for Paran, whose short time under his command was rather tumultuous. Nonetheless this makes his death easier to swallow.

Is there anyone else I'm missing? An exception to the rule, maybe?

There is also the fact that Fiddler's been thrust into a leadership position, one that in some ways he's likely at first not entirely comfortable with. In trying to be a good leader for his squad, who's the most logical person to emulate? Whiskeyjack.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users