Malazan Empire: Proven Guilty - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proven Guilty Just a thread for that book

#1 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Spoilers here for anything in Proven Guilty

Spoiler

Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#2 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

This spoiler includes something from previous book but ties in with above spoiler somewhat.

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

This spoiler is about a soul gaze in Proven Guilty and then a question about Soul gazes

Spoiler

Next question is about Soulgazes in general.

Could anyone describe a soulgaze adequately? What does the person see, we have had various soulgazes, and each time they are different. What I want to know is what attribute the soulgaze centers on, is it the future, is it the past, is it their desires or their character? Also what do you think people see when they soulgaze Harry AND do you think it is different for each person?

#4 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Posted Image Abyss? Anyone?

#5 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostGanoes Paran, on 15 October 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Could anyone describe a soulgaze adequately? What does the person see, we have had various soulgazes, and each time they are different. What I want to know is what attribute the soulgaze centers on, is it the future, is it the past, is it their desires or their character? Also what do you think people see when they soulgaze Harry AND do you think it is different for each person?

The soulgazes we get to know about (through Harry's description) show what's most important about the character at that time to Harry himself.

There's a list of soulgazes over at the wiki: http://dresdenfiles....m/wiki/Soulgaze

Molly's was related to possibilities because it was Harry's decision to help her or not that was the cause of the soulgaze. The one with Ursiel/Rasmussen was pure identification, as a few others were (lawyer, scuzzy werewolf leader etc.). The others were about figuring out what drove them and that was important to Harry because he wanted to understand why they did what they did (Denton, Helen Beckitt, Thomas, Martin etc.).

We've seen that Ramirez and Lara soul-gazed and Ramirez also saw the demon. We don't know what Lara saw in Ramirez, but she left him alone.

As for what people see in Harry's eyes, I strongly suspect that it's basically having everything he's ever loved ripped away from him by betrayal, fire and bad guys. Everybody who's seen into his eyes has been profoundly affected (except the demon Ursiel, who didn't give a crap).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

I personally think they see him thwacking a demon alternately with a vampire and a fairy in each hand, while on fire and laughing.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostGanoes Paran, on 15 October 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

This spoiler is about a soul gaze in Proven Guilty and then a question about Soul gazes

Spoiler

View PostGanoes Paran, on 16 October 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

Posted Image Abyss? Anyone?

View Postamphibian, on 16 October 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

The soulgazes we get to know about (through Harry's description) show what's most important about the character at that time to Harry himself.

There's a list of soulgazes over at the wiki: http://dresdenfiles....m/wiki/Soulgaze

Molly's was related to possibilities because it was Harry's decision to help her or not that was the cause of the soulgaze. The one with Ursiel/Rasmussen was pure identification, as a few others were (lawyer, scuzzy werewolf leader etc.). The others were about figuring out what drove them and that was important to Harry because he wanted to understand why they did what they did (Denton, Helen Beckitt, Thomas, Martin etc.).

We've seen that Ramirez and Lara soul-gazed and Ramirez also saw the demon. We don't know what Lara saw in Ramirez, but she left him alone.

As for what people see in Harry's eyes, I strongly suspect that it's basically having everything he's ever loved ripped away from him by betrayal, fire and bad guys. Everybody who's seen into his eyes has been profoundly affected (except the demon Ursiel, who didn't give a crap).

The point is that a soulgaze lets you see the person's nature. Since each person is different, and for that matter, could be different at a different point in time, each shared soulgaze is different for the people involved.

I'm fairly sure Harry's shows that he is noble to a fault, loyal beyond reason, and has the serious potential to turn into something truly evil but will resist it unto death.

I suspect Molly's shows something similar but with innocence and corruption at the absolutes rather than good and evil.

I think that Lara saw a surprising amount of purity in Ramirez (the virgin thing) and was thrown by how thoroughly his soul is the antithesis of everything she thinks represents.

View PostIlluyankas, on 16 October 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

I personally think they see him thwacking a demon alternately with a vampire and a fairy in each hand, while on fire and laughing.

That too.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   lastname 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

View Postamphibian, on 16 October 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

I'm a few months late to the party but the above bit is from a later book and possibly needs spoiler tags

Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users