Malazan Empire: Why's everyone saying this book is confusing? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why's everyone saying this book is confusing?

#21 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

He will become almost impossible to kill.

Editted by Venge

Content not GOTM.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

This is the GotM forum, duder.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:15 PM

Oh bother, sorry about that
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#24 User is offline   Mykar Blackheart 

• Recruit

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:33 PM

I honestly don't get why people say its difficult/confusing either. The popular opinion still holds true; the first 150-200 pages were a bit of struggle to get through. But I think that was kinda the authors point...

Its like working out. The first time you attempt it; you will be extremely sore, tired, and probably not that motivated to return the next day. But guess what, if you stick with it you will eventually get used to it and start loving it. Sure you will still get sore but the reward is sooo much better.

I'm glad I stuck with this to experience the awesomeness of Anomander Rake (now one of my favorite fictional characters of all time).

I don't care that I have not been spoon-fed the history and details of everything (history, magic system, politics, races...etc) I actually prefer it that way. I like learning as I go along. I love the fact that the plot isn't linear like most mainstream fantasy novels. I love that the plot is intricate and complex. I'm not professing to be a genius but if the plot structure is too basic and simplistic; it annoys the heck out of me.

(I also have another theory: I suspect that the novel doesn't get easier after 200 pages. We have just gotten used to it!)

(I've even started pitting Anomander Rake against my other favorite fictional warriors to see how much he can defeat)

sorry. I'm talking too much...But to conclude: if this book is the worst of the lot then I'm already having nerdgasms just thinking about the other nine.

#25 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

I honestly don't remember my impressions after my first time through GotM. I do remember things making sense upon re-reads after consuming the rest of the series. And I didn't start with GotM on my first read anyway. I read the books at the library in the helter-skelter order they were available to read. That method certainly lent itself to unnecessary confusion!

I have loaned my extra copy of GotM to a friend. When she is done (if she ever is) I'll ask her for her opinion and find out from a first time reader if the book makes less than perfect sense or if it's a mindscrew.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#26 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

The nerdgasm is the grossest of all -gasms. It's when the nerd mind and body are so stimulated that all his or her zits, from head to toe, erupt at once.

#27 User is offline   frozenfish 

• Recruit

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

Ok so I am currently on Chapter 3 of GotM. Being a first time reader of this series (I'd say I've become an expert)Posted Image... I have read a beginners guide to the series, to see if I would like this series. But know very, very little on this series (I know there are Bridgeburners and Warrens). So far I seem to be following along without much difficulty. I do feel I am missing some major pieces of the puzzle (what are the Deck of Dragons about and what impact do they have on the world?). But I am taking it all in as it comes. Really hope Hairlock stays in his current form, also love the concept of the Warrens and how they work.

So far, I am really loving Steven's writing style, and the world that is being created as I read (already ordered Deadhouse Gates). We will see if I get more confused as I read on. Will definitely stay away from an Re-read posts or any other information until I'm done reading. As my current understanding of the series is next to nothing (I have no idea what or who are in the next books).

My current questions would be. Does the main story stay close to the Bridgeburner's? Or is each book a separate tale in the Malazan universe with one overarching theme (or is this part of the fun of the series)?

#28 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

It's one long story, but there are tons of POVs that make up several thick story threads. It's fairly kaleidoscopic, but over time you'll be able to distinguish the "main" characters. Some just for a book or two, some for quite a lot longer.

#29 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:27 AM

As for the Deck of Dragons, think of it as a Tarot deck only pretty damn accurate.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#30 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

View Postfrozenfish, on 24 October 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

Ok so I am currently on Chapter 3 of GotM. Being a first time reader of this series (I'd say I've become an expert)Posted Image... I have read a beginners guide to the series, to see if I would like this series. But know very, very little on this series (I know there are Bridgeburners and Warrens). So far I seem to be following along without much difficulty. I do feel I am missing some major pieces of the puzzle (what are the Deck of Dragons about and what impact do they have on the world?). But I am taking it all in as it comes. Really hope Hairlock stays in his current form, also love the concept of the Warrens and how they work.

So far, I am really loving Steven's writing style, and the world that is being created as I read (already ordered Deadhouse Gates). We will see if I get more confused as I read on. Will definitely stay away from an Re-read posts or any other information until I'm done reading. As my current understanding of the series is next to nothing (I have no idea what or who are in the next books).

My current questions would be. Does the main story stay close to the Bridgeburner's? Or is each book a separate tale in the Malazan universe with one overarching theme (or is this part of the fun of the series)?

Without spoiling anything, I will say that even though tons of new characters are introduced in the next few books, there are definitely some whose stories go all the way to the last book of the stories. There are other amazing characters who you haven't even met yet.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users