Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hairlock & Quick Ben Crazy theory

#1 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Ok, so I'm rereading GotM and this idea struck me. I have read (almost) all the books, but I don't think there's anything spoilery in this. If anyone disagrees, let me know (or remove this post).

Hairlock is a weird kind of guy, some points (in random order):

- He sweats all the time.
- Tattersail, who is a high mage (though not a scholar), has no clue what warren he's using.
- He hides himself in a 'cloud of darkness' just for fun. (So Kurald Galain (but Tattersail recognizes that later)? Or Shadow? Or something else?)
- Everyone seems to find him repulsive, yet he survives in this army, and this war, for a long time.
- The name, 'Hairlock' - a joke on his baldness? SE usually is deeper than that, so what does it mean?

So my crazy theory is that he was never quite human, but he was always QB's 'puppet' even when he wasn't literally a puppet. The soulshift was (in part) QB not quite ready to let go of his investment.

#2 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

Felisin Fatter, on 03 September 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Ok, so I'm rereading GotM and this idea struck me. I have read (almost) all the books, but I don't think there's anything spoilery in this. If anyone disagrees, let me know (or remove this post).

Hairlock is a weird kind of guy, some points (in random order):

- He sweats all the time.
- Tattersail, who is a high mage (though not a scholar), has no clue what warren he's using.
- He hides himself in a 'cloud of darkness' just for fun. (So Kurald Galain (but Tattersail recognizes that later)? Or Shadow? Or something else?)
- Everyone seems to find him repulsive, yet he survives in this army, and this war, for a long time.
- The name, 'Hairlock' - a joke on his baldness? SE usually is deeper than that, so what does it mean?

So my crazy theory is that he was never quite human, but he was always QB's 'puppet' even when he wasn't literally a puppet. The soulshift was (in part) QB not quite ready to let go of his investment.

He was also originally from the seven cities

Spoiler

Hairlock warren is a mystery. (though he uses Chaos towards the end)

But he comfortably wanders around Shadow and is spotted near
Spoiler

If you have read the whole series and would like to discuss it from that viewpoint, I would recommend that you relocate this discussion to the General forum. One of the admins can do this if you request it.

But regarding QB,

Spoiler

This post has been edited by nacht: 03 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

#3 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

Or it's possible that some of the unclear things about Hairlock are due to GotM having been written a decade before DG. So, a decade less knowledge about plot and how to go about it and where to go with it = some wonky points about GotM.

Personally, I think Hairlock was just what he seemed to be - a mage from Seven Cities with a crappy name and ambiguous airs.

Just my 2 cents, though.

This post has been edited by Puck: 03 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users