Malazan Empire: Now after the end of the series... Your favorite malazan book and why (ICE included) - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Now after the end of the series... Your favorite malazan book and why (ICE included) Which book in the malazan universe is your favorite (ICE included) Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   ergault 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Reapers gale....loved the bonehunters conquest of letheras...a drunken hellian...the interplay between koryk smiles tarr n cuttle the development of corabbs character into one of the best of them........house of chains....the 1st 200pages were awesome....and i refute claims karsa orlong is one dimensional....he's a barbarian he's not gonna b walking around quoting shakespeare.....the interplay between kindly n pores...tehol n bugg....kalam n quick...

#22 User is offline   Tony-t 

• Recruit

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

Memories of ice

flat out one of the best books I have ever read in terms of fantasy. Had absolutely everything.

And the more anomander the better tbh

#23 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:18 AM

1. Favourite Novel: Soo hard.......TtH, MoI, TCG. MoI blew me away, made me cry, TtH has the best written convergence anywhere. Period. TCG shows us how cheaply we misapply the word 'epic' and what it can truly mean.

2. Favourite character: MoI: Toc and Tool. Also Whiskeyjack.
TtH: Anomander Rake We never get a Rake PoV, but the glimpses we get.... the rock bleeding when he put Dragnipur down, the weight of Dragnipur after killing Hood, and then he still fought Dassem.....
TCG: Fiddler. Best way to end the series was Fiddler fishing.
3. Favourite scene: MoI: Itkovian with the Imass was heartwrenching. But my favourite scenes were when Whiskeyjack and Rake talked. Rake an immortal ascendant finding companionship and empathy in a mortal soldier.
TtH: Hood enters Darujhistan. breathtaking.
TCG: So many.... the Shake on the Shore, the forming of T'iam, but one scene wins hands down: Hood on the Spire, splatting Forkrul Assail : "I. Have. Had. Enough. Of. Your. Justice!!"

#24 User is offline   kempster 

• Recruit
  • Interests:SciFi/Fantasy, Sports, Politics, some gaming and of course Calvin and Hobbes.

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostPalamecia, on 01 September 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

About a month ago I finished reading The Crippled God and one thing I always wanted to discuss with a fellow Malazan reader was: what was your favorite book and why?

So:
  • Which malazan book/novella is your favorite and why?
  • Who is your favorite character in said book/novella?
  • What is your favorite scene in said book/novella?
The questions are not that important, just your favorite book and why, you can add anything by your own accord.

Personally I will gather my thoughts and probably post later.

/Palamecia

For me these are pretty tough questions.

1. I would have to say that TCG is my favorite (or more precisely since they are supposed to be 1 book split due to size..... from the point of the short-tails attack in DOD through TCG). I loved all the books, but I have to give the nod to the ending because I loved the way everything (mostly) finally converged.

2. I can't really give you a favorite from that book. my favorite from the series was Helian..... but so many to choose from..... and Helian wasn't really featured as much in the last book. I loved Hood in TCG...... but maybe .... I don't know..... Towards the end of DOD Tavore breaks out of her shell.... The Bridgeburners guarding the gate.... Brys Beddict ........Draconus.....

3. Favorite scene. So many were so powerful. Look, I am usually a pretty stonehearted dude, but a couple of the scenes had me literally in tears. Fiddler playing for Whiskeyjack and Korlat.... When the Children of the snake received toys from the Khundryl Burned Tears..... and had no idea what toys were...... I get teary writing about that. And crazy-ass Bent howling in sorrow guarding Stormy's resting place. Tool's family reunion.........Sorry.... I can't pick one. I know it's lame, but every time I think of the scenes that emotionally affected me, it gets too hard to choose just one.

Cheers!

Kempster

This post has been edited by kempster: 02 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

Paradise belonged to the innocent. Which was why it was and would ever remain … empty. And that is what makes it a paradise.

#25 User is offline   Stray Toaster 

• Recruit

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Toll The Hounds is my favourite book in the series. I could choose any of the four novels from Midnight Tides through to TtH, but I really enjoyed reading Kruppe's (unreliable) narration and going back to Dharujistan.

Choosing a favourite moment is so difficult. This whole series has so many memorable scenes. In TtH, a special mention has to be made for the the mock-heroic 'battle' between Kruppe and Iskaral Pust. But my winner would be Rake striding into Dharujistan with Dragnipur trailing those dark chains behind him and then cutting off Hood mid-sentence, before sinking down, head bowed over his sword. That was just amazing, both in terms of shock impact and the sheer visual flair of the scene.

#26 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

1. Best book toll the hounds followed very closely by memories of ice
Toll the hounds drove me to my knees at some points
I was kinda in awe pissed off and overwhelmingly sad at the end. Poor Dassem. The themes explored in toll the hounds not to mention the fact that the tiste andii are shown in much more detail
2. Rake is my favorite his humility even when he's pretty much the residential badass that no one messes with some me over and his sacrifice tore me apart the series was never the same after that . The scenes of him we see in the crippled god of him speaking to the hust legion and even kilamandaros punches that prick Erastas to defend his memory. Fiddler is one of my favorites he is one tough bastard.
3. Dead house gates the ending and the crucifixion of coltaine that was just .... Memories of ice was simply astounding so many epic scenes too many to count.
I'd say the bonehunters vs kchain nahruk wow they managed to stop them I was in awe and um rakes death
The legions of the dead in dragniput still can't comprehend the magnitude of such an event
Memories of ice gets special mention it was just that good like others have said it made erikson from a good author into favorite author

#27 User is offline   prq 

• The unofficial Shield Anvil of Treach, The Tiger of Summer

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Memories of Ice for me. All the battles, all the unexpected events, the awesomeness of Itkovian, Rake, Kallor, Gruntle, The Seguleh, Tool...

Getting rid of annoying Whiskeyjack was a plus :rolleyes: Maybe Moon's Spawn could have been used better, but...

#28 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

• Which malazan book/novella is your favorite and why?
  • Who is your favorite character in said book/novella?
  • What is your favorite scene in said book/novella?
After reading them all many times it's either
The Bonehunters or Dead house gates

Bonehunters: Because I enjoyed everything about it, every storyline and every detail felt relentless; it is also the point, I feel, where the series concluded a lot of it's stories and started it's second lot. Books 7-10 feel a little different (not bad by any means) and I think in some ways Bonehunters, to me, ends out the first few stories on a massive high.
Fave Character: Karsa Orlong XD
Favourite Scene: Either, Karsa Vs K'Chain, Icarium Losing it, or the whole of Malaz Island at the end.
Honorable mention: Ganoes Paran taking over the host and killing Poliel.

Or Dead house gates... I just re read it for the third time. It feel very very complete as a book, obviously it is part of a series but as a stand alone story I think it moves better than any of the others. It is grand and devastating and very evocative. Less fantasy videogame heroics than Bonehunters but almost like a historical tragedy in motion. I think also that with only 3 story points as opposed to so very many points of view later on, Eriksons writing is a little tighter and easier to enjoy. Not that I don't enjoy later books I just found DG so easy to pick up with no storylines out of place.
Favourite Character: Iskaral Pust or Coltaine for two very opposite reasons XD
Favourite Scene:

"Gryllen... HE WAS WARNED...HE WAS WARNED"

all of that was amazing. And although it's so sad, I think the Crows coming in their thousands for Coltaine is amazingly thought out.

#29 User is offline   Jaime Lannister 

• Recruit

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

1) I often vacillate between DG and MoI, but I'd say DG. Once I finished GoTM I wasn't really commited to the series -- I thought it was good, but underwhelming considering how strongly some of my friends were extolling it. At that point I was a bit of an asoiaf tard, and was convinced MbotF would be mediocre in comparison. DG quickly disabused me of this belief, however. I think it's where Erikson came into his own. His unique proclivity for (admittedly, sometimes abstruse) philosophizing, compelling characters, memorable deaths etc. etc. all conspired to make this my favorite fantasy novel.

2) Karsa Orlong, followed closely by Quick Ben. I noticed Karsa is a very divisive character, but I never really understood why. Having some of the finest development in series, the trappings of badassery and an incredible on-screen presence make him the most compelling character for me.

3) Very difficult to chose just one. Quick Ben facing down the Edur fleet, Icarium and the Soletaken sisters, Karsa versus the Nah'ruk and Beak's sacrifice come to mind.

This post has been edited by Jaime Lannister: 29 June 2015 - 09:19 PM

#30 User is offline   Nerevar 

• Recruit

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

1) I think tCG might be my favourite. Imagery, emotion, storytelling, all at their apex with this one. It totally rewarded the time I put in and gave me more favourite moments than in most other franchises entire.

2) Stormy and Gesler, if I can go for a twofer and have them both. With their humour, their grit, their consistent humanity amidst everything happening to them, and the soaring epic tragedy of their fate, those two embody what the series was trying to do very nicely for me. Also, Quick Ben and Kalam really stole the show once they got going, which brought things in a nice circle with GotM.

3) Tavore addressing her Bonehunters. Really hit me where I live. Fiddler on Malaz at the end was beautifully done as well and, I think, is a scene that will stay with me forever - along with many, many others.

Can we add a favourite quote from our chosen novel? If so I'll plump for 'what tit could be better than tat'...

I'm going to do a re-read once I finish Assail, but in second place based on my memory I might put Midnight Tides; Tehol and Bugg; and any scene with them in it (those two sat on the roof, Tehol wrapped in his blanket, plotting the downfall of the economy with his manservant is always just lovely). When I read it at the time it came out in paperback, it was testament to how hooked I was on the Malazan world that SE could change the entire setting chronologically and geographically as well as almost the entire cast of characters and much of the circumstance, and still I devoured the pages without a peep of complaint. That was also the one that I stayed up until the wee hours avidly finishing despite the fact I had a crashing headache for the last 150 pages or so.

#31 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

View PostNerevar, on 20 July 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

1) I think tCG might be my favourite. Imagery, emotion, storytelling, all at their apex with this one. It totally rewarded the time I put in and gave me more favourite moments than in most other franchises entire.

2) Stormy and Gesler, if I can go for a twofer and have them both. With their humour, their grit, their consistent humanity amidst everything happening to them, and the soaring epic tragedy of their fate, those two embody what the series was trying to do very nicely for me. Also, Quick Ben and Kalam really stole the show once they got going, which brought things in a nice circle with GotM.

3) Tavore addressing her Bonehunters. Really hit me where I live. Fiddler on Malaz at the end was beautifully done as well and, I think, is a scene that will stay with me forever - along with many, many others.

Can we add a favourite quote from our chosen novel? If so I'll plump for 'what tit could be better than tat'...

I'm going to do a re-read once I finish Assail, but in second place based on my memory I might put Midnight Tides; Tehol and Bugg; and any scene with them in it (those two sat on the roof, Tehol wrapped in his blanket, plotting the downfall of the economy with his manservant is always just lovely). When I read it at the time it came out in paperback, it was testament to how hooked I was on the Malazan world that SE could change the entire setting chronologically and geographically as well as almost the entire cast of characters and much of the circumstance, and still I devoured the pages without a peep of complaint. That was also the one that I stayed up until the wee hours avidly finishing despite the fact I had a crashing headache for the last 150 pages or so.

So if you had to make a short list of your favourite moments from TCG alone what would you say?

#32 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

Memories of Ice to me is the best so much action, so much aswesome from Gruntle. Hood coming to meet the Destriant. Itkovians punishment of the traitor. Itkovian havking people from his horse. Quick ben Meeting the the necormancers was a great scene. Really meeting the Seguleh. Tool going HAM on everything.

The crippled god is very good too, shit most of them are awesome, some have certain parts that are hard to get through. The snake was always a "shit i gotta surge through this to get to the other side" to get to more epicness. Taxialiian and the rest of the wanderers was very slow reading too.

#33 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostAndorion, on 20 July 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

View PostNerevar, on 20 July 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

So if you had to make a short list of your favourite moments from TCG alone what would you say?

Im halfway through a re read....

Hood eating faces. Gilk and the queens back and forths. Yedan just crushing everything, EVERYTHING(how could an entire legion of HUST go down??) Gruntle showing back up.

Thats from the first half of the book.

#34 User is offline   Nerevar 

• Recruit

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

In addition to those mentioned and off the top of my head – Mael and K’rul in the ocean depths together at the start (“why do you think I live down here?”) …really stuck with me.

The entire sequence with the Shake is amazing – even though the buildup to this storyline had some of the less thrilling sections in the final few books the payoff is stunning and I know I’ll get a lot out of re-reading the whole thing. In particular Yedan Derryg stood at the shore tearing into everything that comes out of the light is terrific – though the most badass part would be his trip into the light itself.

Badalle calling down the god of the Assail.

Pores’ missive to Kindly (via Himble).

Tehol’s letter to Brys (just from this letter you can really see Tehol perched on the throne, nervously glancing toward Janath as he dictates to Bugg – these characters are so wonderfully vivid).

The scenes with Paran’s Host after Quick Ben and Kalam stick their oar in – particularly ‘courtesy of Kalam Mekhar.’

Shurq Elalle on deck with the former god of death – thought this was quite nice considering she was first denied death, and nowadays takes great pains to avoid its “symptoms.”

Brys Beddict summoning the names of all the forgotten gods.

Hood striding up the path of Mael’s ice – a nice callback to his awesome manifestation in Darujhistan and a highly cinematic setpiece in itself.

Fener’s sacrifice – both visually and for its subversion of the ages old concept of sacrificing to gods/ a god. Here it is the god being sacrificed, and that act brings life and wholeness to many (including another, foreign god - the theological ideas at work here could have probably provided me with a dissertation or three back at university).

Stormy and Gesler’s last mission together up the Spire – devastating, and perfect.

When Tavore nearly runs Paran through – at no point in the series was I more terrified than this. For Tavore to kill her other sibling would have been heartbreaking. It is an ingenious scene though, because it forces the reader to realise how much they have come to love Tavore and care about her as a human being.

Heboric’s reappearance and help at the end – I always had a soft spot for the ugly old bloke for some reason, and it was nice for this to be tied into events back in Deadhouse Gates so neatly (and there was the scene with Shadowthrone and Cotillion at The Fall as well, of course).

The marines laughing on the hillock – just thinking about this beautifully conceived moment gives me goosebumps. There’s also Fiddler panicking when he thinks Hedge has gone kamikaze and his relief when his buddy is back – incredibly sentimental from SE, but these characters deserved a little bit of that at this point.

That's just off the top of my head - admittedly after reading through a lot of the threads on The Crippled God, so I got reminded of lots I wanted to mention.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users