• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Midnight Tides Questions Re read questions, contains spoilers

#1 User is offline   Maester 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Just finished my re-read of MT and my questions are these:

1. Did Menadore transport the entire Meckros city into Starvald Demelain? I had trouble grasping how it got into the warren.

2. Why did Kettle come back to life after the Azath died? Was it her reward for being its guardian? It seemed to coincide with the death of the Azath/rise of the hold of death to cleanly.

3. What was up the chaos power the K'rinsan used in the first engagement against the Letherii (the one where the queen and prince were captured)? Why were the tornadoes made out of bones? I understand how in the second engagement, the dust fried the Letherii, and then picked up the bones to continue to reap destruction, but in the first engagement, the K'rinsan hadn't hit the Letherii yet. Where did the bones come from?

4. Right next to Serenity's prison, there were barrows that were "larger than K'Chain Chemalle tombs." What race used those barrows? The Toblakai?

5. About the Wyval.... I grabbed this passage from the book:
"Ooh, are those dragons?’‘Spawn. Locqui Wyval, searching for their master. But he is gone. Once they realize that, they will know to wait. It will prove a long wait.’
‘Are they waiting still?’

‘Yes.’
I'm guessing the "master" Silchas is referring to is himself? Why do they consider him their master? Do soul-taken Elient have power over the dragon spawn?

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

Maester, on 21 August 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Just finished my re-read of MT and my questions are these:

1. Did Menadore transport the entire Meckros city into Starvald Demelain? I had trouble grasping how it got into the warren.

2. Why did Kettle come back to life after the Azath died? Was it her reward for being its guardian? It seemed to coincide with the death of the Azath/rise of the hold of death to cleanly.

3. What was up the chaos power the K'rinsan used in the first engagement against the Letherii (the one where the queen and prince were captured)? Why were the tornadoes made out of bones? I understand how in the second engagement, the dust fried the Letherii, and then picked up the bones to continue to reap destruction, but in the first engagement, the K'rinsan hadn't hit the Letherii yet. Where did the bones come from?

4. Right next to Serenity's prison, there were barrows that were "larger than K'Chain Chemalle tombs." What race used those barrows? The Toblakai?

5. About the Wyval.... I grabbed this passage from the book:
"Ooh, are those dragons?''Spawn. Locqui Wyval, searching for their master. But he is gone. Once they realize that, they will know to wait. It will prove a long wait.'
'Are they waiting still?'

'Yes.'
I'm guessing the "master" Silchas is referring to is himself? Why do they consider him their master? Do soul-taken Elient have power over the dragon spawn?

1. IIrc, it was TCG making a play at grabbing her son, and Menandore's saving of him, that mixed together to transport most of it there. RG spoiler
Spoiler

2. Kettle was prepared to be the Azath's... seed, if you recall the scene of her making with the Nameless One present. She therefore waxed as it waned.

3. Not quite recalling this, but one of two answers should be the correct one: They are either pulling their tornadoes from barrows around the fortress or they are pulling them from Chaos-tinged Emurlahn.

4. Possibly pure TTT, yes. Possibly Jaghut. Different sizes exist for all of the races.

5. Wyval tend to flock to the presence of the eleint, yes.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Maester 

• Recruit

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:05 AM

Thank you for the reply! Especially the answer regarding Kettle.

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

There are some right weird random posts on here these past few weeks.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Gorefest, on 15 January 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

There are some right weird random posts on here these past few weeks.

You got that right. Are there actual Malazan podcasts? Is this official? Hope it isn't spam. Lets see if I can get a Mod....

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Post (the one Gorefest and Andorion are referring to) deleted for being massively off-topic (and possibly a bot/spammer - I will follow up)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

D, on 15 January 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

Post (the one Gorefest and Andorion are referring to) deleted for being massively off-topic (and possibly a bot/spammer - I will follow up)

Huh...that was fast. I was actually typing out a PM to you about this when I checked the thread again to find action had been taken. You reading minds nowadays?Posted Image

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

Andorion, on 15 January 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

Huh...that was fast. I was actually typing out a PM to you about this when I checked the thread again to find action had been taken. You reading minds nowadays?Posted Image

Yup. Testing out the new prototype blowdart-delivered brain microchips on forum members. Once we've perfected the technology, the moderating team is going to get all the future Malazan books directly out of SE and ICE's thinkymeatz! Mwahahahahaha!

(and also conquer the world but that's considered less important)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:58 AM

D, on 15 January 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Andorion, on 15 January 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

Yup. Testing out the new prototype blowdart-delivered brain microchips on forum members. Once we've perfected the technology, the moderating team is going to get all the future Malazan books directly out of SE and ICE's thinkymeatz! Mwahahahahaha!

(and also conquer the world but that's considered less important)

I'll be thats a piece of technology ASOIAF fans would kill to have

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users