Malazan Empire: NFL: 2013 - 2014 SEASON - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NFL: 2013 - 2014 SEASON

Poll: NFL: 2013 - 2014 SEASON (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Which team is your super-early, gut pick to win it all this season?

1. Denver Broncos (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

2. New England Patriots (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

3. San Francisco 49ers (1 votes [5.88%])

4. Baltimore Ravens (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Atlanta Falcons (1 votes [5.88%])

6. Seattle Seahawks (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

7. Houston Texans (1 votes [5.88%])

8. Green Bay Packers (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

9. Other Team(not one of the options) (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I through a quick poll to see where everyone stands on super super early picks for next champions.

I'm going to go with Denver.

Which brings me to my next topic. I made this new thread to talk about the upcoming season in general.

I was thinking about which new players (new to their team as of this season, not necessarily rookies) are you most excited to see in action this season? Or which players, and player combinations that aren't new are you feeling will be extremely exciting to watch this season.

I'm very excited to see what Manning and Wes Welker can do this year, now that Welker is a Bronco. I'm thinking Manning and Welker find their rhythm around game 4 or so, and they put up some great numbers.

I will go out on a limb and say I think Alex Smith has a great year at QB for KC, as well as Brandon Weeden over in Cleveland(browns).

I like Kyle Rudolph at TE this year at Minnesota, and was about to snag him when tatts grabbed hi right before me, without even choosing Rudolph himself. He just wanted next ranked TE. :D he has blow out year.

I know Seattles defense will be good...better than good, but I'm going with San Fran as top defense this season, with Broncos next, THEN Seattle.

I think the Bengals will surprise everyone with at least 10 wins and easily win division, but no further than that. Putting much faith in Giovani Bernard as a break out RB this year. (Hope so, especially with Jamal Charles foot worries)

I'm not so sure about this, but for some reason I'm thinking Matt Ryan and Falcons are even better than they were last year, with Matt Ryan improving his performance for the season by being far more consistent with high passing yard, multiple TD games.

I gambled with James Jones as an early WR(GB) pick, and hoping he gets even close to as lucky as he didast year with grabbing so many TD pass looks. Maybe a long shot and wishful thinking. Here's for hoping Jordy Nelson stays injured.

Danny Woodhead has decent to really good year at SD, and Antonio Gates bounces back.

More thoughts later. Anyone else have any interesting thoughts about the upcoming season, or interested in specific teams or players.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#2 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Not much interest yet. I can't blame anyone. Hopefully once we get closer, or even into the season a bit, the football banter will pick up.

Also, with only 4 users who cared enough to give their gut pick for Supervisor Champ, we have

The Broncos ( me - def have a shot )
The Pats ( wow, really? Who thinks this!! )
The Seabirds ( can't argue here, also a decent shot )
The FudgePackers ( naaaah, Rodgers won't see another ring, but especially not this year )

No one has any other picks for the Big Winner? I know it's early, and it's mostly just a guess at this point, but I'd like to be able to come back here after the seasons over, and just for shits, see who was right.

I'll give most of what I said above up as spin talk, except for Wes Welker. I'm wishing I'd have snagged him. I had him last season, and he did well for me. Him and Brandon Marshall held down my WR spot nearly all year. But I'm thinking him and Manning might be really, really fun to watch.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#3 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

I've picked the Falcons, for the sheer reason that their offense is kept intact with no misfortunes yet, their staff hasn't changed, their running game will improve marginally at the least and last year is a good indicator of what the team can do - although they had an easier schedule then.

The Bronco's first have to prove their defense is good enough to win tight games, otherwise they might become 2013's 2012 New Orleans, but if they do, they're hot favourites. The Eagles are perhaps a year too early. I'd love for NO to go far, but... converting 4-3 to 3-4 is such a change, at the least it can't get worse. 9-7 at best, there.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#4 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

I picked the Seahawks for the year.

They have a strong young defense and good running game. If they had Harvin then they would be a for sure lock. Even with out him I still like them to go all the way.

This has absolutely nothing to do with teams that put up Fantasy points.

Denver's Defense is suspect with the suspensions and injuries.

Green Bay I am unsure about their running game. Yeah I know they have a new RB but come on.

Atlanta getting old. Jackson is old everyone else is getting up their. I doubt that they will have it in the tank come playoff time.

Houston possible.

SF who are they going to throw to in order to keep opposing defenses honest? Missing Crabtree is going to cost them their shot.

Baltimore has big holes to make up on both sides of the ball. It remains to be seen if those can be filled.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#5 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostVengeance, on 22 August 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

They have a strong young defense and good running game. If they had Harvin then they would be a for sure lock. Even with out him I still like them to go all the way.

Green Bay I am unsure about their running game. Yeah I know they have a new RB but come on.

Atlanta getting old. Jackson is old everyone else is getting up their. I doubt that they will have it in the tank come playoff time.

Houston possible.

SF who are they going to throw to in order to keep opposing defenses honest? Missing Crabtree is going to cost them their shot.

Baltimore has big holes to make up on both sides of the ball. It remains to be seen if those can be filled.

Houston will choke on the Patriots, I guess (who I think will go far).
As for GB, I don't think the run-game has to be stellar - setting up the pass through the run is not going to happen, setting up the occassional run through the pass may be more likely but ultimately, it is just about being 95% pass instead of 100% :D.

#6 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostTapper, on 22 August 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 22 August 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Houston possible.

Houston will choke on the Patriots, I guess (who I think will go far).
As for GB, I don't think the run-game has to be stellar - setting up the pass through the run is not going to happen, setting up the occassional run through the pass may be more likely but ultimately, it is just about being 95% pass instead of 100% :D.

I know that the Pats have an easier schedule but they have so many questions on offense. Can Danny stay healthy how will the rookie tight ends do. They D might be able to keep them in games for a while but unless they get lucky (it is very possible with NE) and play makers step up I don't like them to go the distance this year. Their D can get them to the play offs with their schedule.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#7 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

SF 2 seasons back: Made it to last round of playoffs, missed Superbowl.
SF 1 season back: Got to the final, didn't win.
Logically, they should win this year. ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8 User is offline   Grumble 

• High Mage of High House HAWT

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 25 August 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Logically, they should win this year. :p

Logically, I think they struggle to win their division ! ;) Go Seahawks !!!

Brujah ..... brujah ..... brujah

Our resident Peyton Manning fanboy has predictably chosen the Denver Broncos to win it all, YES ... Manning is playing in the AFC Worst, YES ... He has Mr Welker to throw at in the slot ... but guess what ..... THEY BLOW IT AGAIN IN THE PLAYOFFS !!!

NFC seems stacked with good teams SEAHAWKS, FALCONS, PACKERS, NINERS ..... Saints should be back in the mix with Payton coaching again I just need to see some D from them. If RG3 can prove he's healthy then REDSKINS could repeat but for me the EAST is a close your eyes and pick-one division.

I just don't see the same quality in the AFC !

Pats & Bronco's win divisions by default. I like the Ravens, people think Bengals are on the rise and I like some of their players WR Green is a stud and d-line is great but QB is a question mark for me? Can the Stealers bounce back this year. COLTS will be fun to watch this year.

Hate to see the so called experts picking my team to win it all this year but GO SEAHAWKS !!!!!
What Would Jack Do ?

#9 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Voted for another team.

Baltimore lost to many players and isnt repeating.
Atlanta needed to get better on defense/ protecting the QB, but just took 5 sacks from Tennesee in a half. Not going to be able to out score opponents if QB dont get time to pass.
Patriots just isnt good enough this year on offense, but cant count them out if rungame takes off.
49ers will go deep again, but didnt win the last 2 and still isnt looking better on offense than previous years.
Seattle needed better widerecievers to get further, but instead they got better at RB, that wont help them to win from behind.
Green Bay isnt deep enough, but like Patriots, i cant rule them out if rungame takes off.
Denver i just dont think has a chance. Welker cant improve much on what was already a good throwing game. Old defense/QB and Von Miller out.
Houston i accually like, but i just dont think they have the right QB to go all the way. (best pick if i had to choose one of these)

Looking forward to see Jets go down in flames this year.
Also excited about Seattles rookie RB withe the girly name. (Christine Michaels)
I look forward to see if the little dude Tavon Austin can thrive in the big league.
I cant wait to hear the Danish commentators try to say Barkevious Mingo`s name.

Most of all i just look forward to regular season start!

#10 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

I miss you, Grumble... ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

View PostGrumble, on 25 August 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Logically, they should win this year. :p

Logically, I think they struggle to win their division ! :) Go Seahawks !!!

Our resident Peyton Manning fanboy has predictably chosen the Denver Broncos to win it all, YES ... Manning is playing in the AFC Worst, YES ... He has Mr Welker to throw at in the slot ... but guess what ..... THEY BLOW IT AGAIN IN THE PLAYOFFS !!!

NFC seems stacked with good teams SEAHAWKS, FALCONS, PACKERS, NINERS ..... Saints should be back in the mix with Payton coaching again I just need to see some D from them. If RG3 can prove he's healthy then REDSKINS could repeat but for me the EAST is a close your eyes and pick-one division.

Pats & Bronco's win divisions by default. I like the Ravens, people think Bengals are on the rise and I like some of their players WR Green is a stud and d-line is great but QB is a question mark for me? Can the Stealers bounce back this year. COLTS will be fun to watch this year.

Hate to see the so called experts picking my team to win it all this year but GO SEAHAWKS !!!!!

Haha. I didn't realize I was coming off as a Manning fanboy, but I do put much faith into his ability. I've never really cared for Indy or Denver, but you just gotta love Payton Manning. The same way you have to think Tom Brady is a <insert slander term for homosexuality>, and that Aaron Rodgers is a complete be-atch.

In fact, besides Manning, I don't like the Broncos. They have our ex coach, Jon Fox, and their Terrell Davis teams of late 90s early 00s kept putting the Falcons down in their superbowl runs. Back when the falcons had jamal anderson, and the 'dirty birds' were in the spot light. I was a Falcons fan before Charlotte finally got a team(panthers).

- Maynard James Keenan

#12 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

Logically, they should win this year. :D

Logically, I think they struggle to win their division ! :( Go Seahawks !!!

Grumble, Grumble, Grumble.

I guess I wasn't the only one who picked the Broncos to win the Superbowl.

Vegas released the odds for each team to win the Superbowl for betting purposes.

The Broncos are the favorite to win it all at this point.

Here are the odds:

Broncos …. 5-1
49ers …… 6-1
Seahawks … 7-1
Patriots … 8-1
PACKERS …. 8-1
TEXANS …. 14-1
FALCONS … 18-1
SAINTS …. 18-1
STEELERS .. 20-1
GIANTS …. 20-1
REDSKINS .. 20-1
BENGALS … 25-1
RAVENS …. 30-1
BEARS ….. 30-1

I found it interesting that the defending champion Ravens are least favored to win from among the teams considered having a chance. The Patriots come in 4th, which still surprises me considering their huge losses. The SAINTS come in with the same odds to win as the Falcons. Crazy stuff. But I do agree with the Broncos, 49ers, and Seahawks being the top 3.

- Maynard James Keenan

#13 User is offline   Grumble 

• High Mage of High House HAWT

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostBrujah, on 04 September 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

Logically, they should win this year. :D

Logically, I think they struggle to win their division ! :( Go Seahawks !!!

Grumble, Grumble, Grumble.

I guess I wasn't the only one who picked the Broncos to win the Superbowl.

Vegas released the odds for each team to win the Superbowl for betting purposes.

The Broncos are the favorite to win it all at this point.

Here are the odds:

Broncos …. 5-1
49ers …… 6-1
Seahawks … 7-1
Patriots … 8-1
PACKERS …. 8-1
TEXANS …. 14-1
FALCONS … 18-1
SAINTS …. 18-1
STEELERS .. 20-1
GIANTS …. 20-1
REDSKINS .. 20-1
BENGALS … 25-1
RAVENS …. 30-1
BEARS ….. 30-1

I found it interesting that the defending champion Ravens are least favored to win from among the teams considered having a chance. The Patriots come in 4th, which still surprises me considering their huge losses. The SAINTS come in with the same odds to win as the Falcons. Crazy stuff. But I do agree with the Broncos, 49ers, and Seahawks being the top 3.

As previously stated the Broncos play in the AFC WORST and are going to be in the playoffs by default, will be interested to see what odds they are if they lose tonight in one of their few tests of the regular season. FALCONS look like good value.

Looking forward to see how it all pans out !
What Would Jack Do ?

#14 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Very true about the Broncos having an edge due to their division. They definitely have the easiest division by far, which is a free shot to the playoffs. I just like seeing Manning kick ass after Indy felt it was time to just let him go after giving them so many wins over so many seasons.

- Maynard James Keenan

#15 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Ultimately, Indy made the correct choice. Rookie salary for Luck, with the excess of Manning's salary being invested in the team's rebuilding in the last season, this one and arguably the next. Denver now has a shot at the title with a great pass offense and Peyton bathes in money. Winners all around.

Patriots have a good defense, stellar OL, and the combination of the no-huddle, a pretty good run game with enough options and depth and a passing offense in which the unexpected Sudfeld, Vereen and Gronk (on the way back) can create mismatches (not to mention Brady being Brady) NE is still pretty awesome. Even though I have to acknowledge that through clenched teeth as I really don't like the Patriots.

Likewise, as much as I hate to say so, everyone underestimates the Giants. IMHO, that list has the Steelers and the Saints (sadly) too high, imho - Payton coming back doesn't elevate them to champions, at best just to the play-offs. I'd see the Bengals on par with the Falcons. Awesome defense and the first time Dalton has more than 1 (super) weapon. The Packers and Falcons (window closing, but still open and no major losses) are also rated too low, I think. SF has it all to prove, and the Seahawks... I don't know. As long as Lynch is fit, they're great. Lose him, get behind a couple of times, and I don't know what will happen.

#16 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Just saw Philadelphia - Washington and wow, that first half was refreshing football even if you take the magnificent McCoy-show out of it. If the NFL wishes to win Europe for it, show it more of this.

Not sure how the team will cope with the inevitable Vick injury, which will probably be coming sooner than later especially if more teams see the way Washington pressured him in the second half as the answer to negating that side of the Philadelphia game, but wow, this was a pure advertisement of how fun the game can be - weird formations, big runs, surprising plays, deep passes and going for it on 4th down... I now see why Vengy keeps telling me College Football is better.

#17 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I will pick the Saints, although I have no clue.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#18 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

49ers vs Seahawks tonight! And its on terrestrial TV meaning I can watch it! Or rather record it & watch later. Wheres Grumble cos this games comes with bragging rights & mocking rights attached...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19 User is offline   Azathmaster 

• Rewinder of High House Mafia
  • First Survivor in the Survivors' Guild

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:34 AM

Jets got this :D

We held the pats to 13-10, so I think we'll break .500. Hopefully.
"To victory! It feels unfamiliar, but it tastes like chicken"

#20 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

No way. The schedule looks bad going going forward, and the Jets are nowhere near a .500 caliber team, though the defense is legit this year. My prediction is, at best, 6-10. It's more likely to be worse than that imo. I would not mind getting a great draft position next year, and just have the team continue to rebuild in a, hopefully, post-Sanchez era.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users