Malazan Empire: Should I re-read Gardens of the Moon before Memories of Ice - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should I re-read Gardens of the Moon before Memories of Ice

Poll: Re-read Gardens of the Moon? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Re-read Gardens of the Moon?

1. Yes (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Specific chapters only (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No (3 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   paladyr 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

I read Gardens of the Moon many months ago, and I basically only remember the general idea about what happened. I sort of got bored in the middle of Deadhouse Gates and it took me longer than expected to finish. I started to read Memories of Ice and I didn't remember anything about Toc the Younger or what caused him to be dumped into Morn. I read the chapter summaries here:

http://www.tor.com/f...d-of-the-fallen

But it's just not enough. I don't really remember what type of people the characters are. The thought of reading the entire book again makes me cringe, although maybe it won't be as bad as I think it will (I've never read a book twice). I'll at least be able to speed read since I've read it once already. I don't think I'm great at speed reading though.

So are there chapters I can skip, or only certain chapters that I need to read to get prepared for Memories of Ice? Thanks for the info!

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'd suggest just plowing into MoI and if you're stumped on anything from past books, just post here, tho i hasten to add be clear how far along you are so the responses don't spoil something for you.

In that vein, back in GotM, Toc the Younger was a Claw agent (but not an assassin) placed with Onearm's Host. His father was Toc the Elder, apparently a big deal among the Old Guard way back when.
Toc was drawn into Tattersail and Whiskeyjack's plotting and eventually left the army with Paran to go to Darujhistan. On the way they were ambushed by Hairlock (who was pissed at Paran preventing him from stealing a Hound's power). Hairlock threw Toc into a gate into Chaos, just before QB cut the puppet's strings and the Hounds ate him. That's the last we saw of Toc until the start of MoI.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

MoI is an excellent standalone book. If things are confused in your head its fine to read on anyway since you meet a ton of new characters who are not terribly reliant on GotM.

Edit: Also main thing you should take from GotM into MoI is locations. GotM in my mind simply set the scene for what is one of the most favored books of the series.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 13 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#4 User is offline   paladyr 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep trucking along reading MoI!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users