Malazan Empire: The Lightbringer Series - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Lightbringer Series Am I the only one who's reading this?

#1 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

I just finished reading book two, and I have to say that this series is shaping up to be much better than I had expected. I went into it having read Weeks' previous effort, The Night Angel Trilogy, which, while not terrible, was definitely a freshman work. And from the first book in the new series, The Black Prism, it seemed like this one was shaping up to be more of the same.

After finishing the second book, The Blinding Knife though, I think this series is definitely going somewhere good, if not great.

Anyone else reading it?

#2 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

I still need to read the second book. The Black Prism was mostly really good but had too much explanation of the magic system in the first half. Like, more than Sanderson. Loved loved the Night Angel Trilogy though.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have the second book and have tried twice to get into it, and failed.

I'll be giving it my 3rd go at some point.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

PRISM and KNIFE are in the TRPFH. I bought PRISM new, coming off the buzz of NIGHT ANGEL trilo, but haven't gotten to it yet. KNIFE was a 2HS purchase.

I may wait until the series is finished to actually read it (4 bks i blv).

NAT read really nicely as a complete work and given that i have about 3 complete fantasy series standing by, commiting to one still in progress is less tempting.

All of which is to say i will read it eventually, as i like Weeks.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

I like it, it better then Night angel which I liked, but hated the ending.

#6 User is offline   Mikkelinski 

• Corporal

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

I like the series much more than Night Angel, and since I don't mind the heavy explanation of magic systems and whatnot I really enjoyed the Lightbringer series from the get go. Despite that, I do notice clear improvements in the second book - so if that's continuing it's shaping up to be great.On the subject, is there something different in Week's prose_ (substituting _ for questionmark, because of broken keyboard, already using ctrl-v to paste in "t") It's just something I picked up on my re-read. In the way of word choices and sentences, in many ways it feels more "modern". I feel I'm phrasing it poorly, but it's just something I noticed and I rarely notice stuff like that when I read. It's not bad in any way, but just different than a lot of other fantasy I've read.It's supposed to be five books right_

This post has been edited by Mikkelinski: 01 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

#7 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

I read the first book, was not impressed at all, mostly because large parts of the story felt cliché to me. I never bought any later books.
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#8 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostJames Hutton, on 01 August 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

I read the first book, was not impressed at all, mostly because large parts of the story felt cliché to me. I never bought any later books.

Which parts did you find cliche?

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I'm not going to lie that the pretty blatant use of Green Lantern "light" type constructs based on colours of the spectrum for the magic system is the most off-putting thing to me. The only thing that makes it different is the GL stuff has feelings attached to the colours as well (ie. Green light = Will, Yellow light = Fear, Red light = Rage ect.)

In contrast I look to Brandon Sanderson's WARBREAKER which I thought was a wonderfully fresh and unique colour-based magic system.

For cliché stuff...I'll go with:

- Young, poor boy with powers he doesn't know about (farmboy trope)

- Boy is actually royalty, and descended from the most powerful magic user (Chosen one trope)

- spoiler for the first book
Spoiler

- Boy registers higher than almost anyone on the magic scale/test (farmboy trope again)

So while not excessive, it's still follows some very basic and typical high fantasy tropes.

Oh and Kip is annoying as allmighty fuck. Seriously. Where I LOVED Kylar in the NightAngel books...Kip is instead a wishy, washy jerk who switches from being a repugnant ass to mousily shy. I'm actually not sure what the purpose is in that fact. He doesn't have an identity that I can nail down. It's like he's two totally different teens from paragraph to paragraph. Luckily, damn near EVERYONE else in the book is enjoyable character-wise...but yeah, the lead being so annoying hurts my enjoyment.

Though I will say that Andross Guile reminds me so much of Tywin Lannister than I found myself enjoying his asshole scene's, but I'd be loathe to not point out that the similarity between the characters is close.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

While I would not disagree with you about Kip, I would have to disagree with you that all of the influences you cite are particularly blatant, especially when there's nothing new under the sun (see what I did there? cos it's about light and stuff...). Did GRRM invent the asshole patriarch obsessed with family? I'm pretty sure that 'breaking the halo' is another difference in the magic system, but then I know nothing about GL so it might not be. As for the spoiler

Spoiler

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#11 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostMTS, on 07 August 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

While I would not disagree with you about Kip, I would have to disagree with you that all of the influences you cite are particularly blatant, especially when there's nothing new under the sun (see what I did there? cos it's about light and stuff...). Did GRRM invent the asshole patriarch obsessed with family? I'm pretty sure that 'breaking the halo' is another difference in the magic system, but then I know nothing about GL so it might not be. As for the spoiler

Spoiler

In response to the spoiler (spoilers for Harry Potter):
Spoiler

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 07 August 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

^^Indeed. This.

"breaking the halo" in Lantern mythos is kind of what the reds and oranges are all about...allowing the aspected colour to overtake you till you become a monster or a wraith. It's there. It's different enough that Weeks should feel safe he's not impinging on anything....but a reader of DC comics would be remiss not to notice MANY similarities. I should note that it's not a dealbreaker by any stretch for me...but it annoys me...most especially because he feels the need to explain the system over, and over again, even in the second book.

#13 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 August 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

^^Indeed. This.

"breaking the halo" in Lantern mythos is kind of what the reds and oranges are all about...allowing the aspected colour to overtake you till you become a monster or a wraith. It's there. It's different enough that Weeks should feel safe he's not impinging on anything....but a reader of DC comics would be remiss not to notice MANY similarities. I should note that it's not a dealbreaker by any stretch for me...but it annoys me...most especially because he feels the need to explain the system over, and over again, even in the second book.

Out of curiosity now, is there any analogue to the Prism concept?
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#14 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 07 August 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

View PostJames Hutton, on 01 August 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Which parts did you find cliche?

Like QT mentioned, mostly the overall plot: farmboy who turns out to be royalty, with a 'mentor' that turns out to be living close because he has ties with royalty-dad. The farmboy is discovered to be a powerfull magic user, etc. etc.

View PostMTS, on 08 August 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

Out of curiosity now, is there any analogue to the Prism concept?

Not that I know of.

And by saying "large parts of the story felt cliché", I didn't mean there's nothing new in the book. I'm now echoing others above because it's been a while since I read it, but there were some very interesting concepts in there like the Prism and Breaking the Halo! I simply felt that there was very little depth to it, the story moving along a familiar track. And there's more books in the TRP, so I skipped the rest of this series.
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#15 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

I avoided the books when they first came out, mainly due to the negative feedback from the board.

I caved though a while back and gave them a shot, whilst i don't think they have been amazing, I did enjoy the read. Another popcorn series like the Night Angel Trilogy... only not as good!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#16 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 August 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

- Young, poor boy with powers he doesn't know about (farmboy trope)

- Boy is actually royalty, and descended from the most powerful magic user (Chosen one trope)

- spoiler for the first book
Spoiler

- Boy registers higher than almost anyone on the magic scale/test (farmboy trope again)

I think your being too strict with the tropes, which are partly unavoidable in any medium. Still Kip is the Prisms Son, magic is partly Genetic (he, his father and uncle are all prisms) and the only reason he comes to be tested is because he is the Prisms son and they want to use him.

I actually enjoyed how the extent of his powers is kept from him! I also like how the fact that prisms are an incredible rare genetic mutation and not sent by god is I think an important story point. Their are many rituals and secret magics, using the white knife for example, that are in play but certainly the Chromeria is/has been playing a long game with the world

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 August 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

Also QT since you like Andross he gets a fair bit of screen time esp at about the half way point to end.

Yeah, Andross is easily a fave for how much of a raging dickhead he can be.

#18 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

About 130 pages into the second book and have enjoyed every page so far. Really solid stuff, even if there hasn't been much tension yet. Can't wait to see where this goes. Andross Guile has been awesomely dickish and I'm glad to see that he will feature more in the second half of this book.

#19 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

Well I'm halfway and the world keeps getting richer. But I have a question. What's with all of the Brent Weeks related account names lately?

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

Check out the Medieval based Assassins book thread.

http://forum.malazan...sin-bookseries/

It started when Obdigore insinuated that WORLD FAMOUS FANTASY AUTHOR BRENT WEEKS might be using sock puppets to drum up attention for his series.

A silly notion really. Why resort to such low tactics when it is obvious that THE BEST SELLING NIGHT ANGEL TRILOGY sells on its stellar reputation alone.

Check it out on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0316085146

This post has been edited by Not Brent Weeks: 05 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users