Malazan Empire: Bernard Cornwell - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bernard Cornwell

#41 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

Nice!
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#42 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

Finally got around to devouring the new book, The Empty Throne and it didn't disappoint, it was great to be back in the world of Earslings!

A bit of interesting development teasing the future books - mild spoilers...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by champ: 07 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

Woot, so slyly the BBC drama trailer for this year has the first footage from THE LAST KINGDOM.

I've parsed the shots so you don't have to.

http://www.youtube.c...4&v=P4HgFD0JynI

What do we see?

- 0:14 mark it APPEARS to be Ragnar Ravnson (Ragnar elder). At least it looks like the actor who plays the character.

- 0:18 mark is Brida (Emily Cox)

- 0:23 is Ravn (Rutger Hauer) dialogue script page and narration, followed by a shot of the man himself speaking the rest of the line. And then a shield wall and clash.

- 0:39 is Alfred (David Dawson) being crowned.

- 0:49 is Ravn (Rutger Hauer) again, looking grumbly.

Anyways, just a quick peek, but exciting!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

October 8th, Warriors of the Storm! The next Uhtred book. I bet it coincides with the airing of the Last Kingdom.

My link
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#45 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

Is Bebbanburg his yet? :ermm:

For some reason, Uhtred's England reminds me of the Warhammer Fantasy verse, with the forces of Chaos always invading only to be pushed back erry time. I should pick up the series again sometime. Left off at Pagan Lord, I think.

This post has been edited by Rictus: 13 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

View PostRictus, on 13 July 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

Is Bebbanburg his yet? :ermm:

For some reason, Uhtred's England reminds me of the Warhammer Fantasy verse, with the forces of Chaos always invading only to be pushed back erry time. I should pick up the series again sometime.

He's BEEN there now once I think (book 3 or 4), but his Uncle still rules from its walls. Sufficed to say I doubt Uhtred will get it back till the final book (whenever that is)...but the most recent book had Uhtred old enough to start realizing he's getting old...so hopefully it's in this forthcoming book or the next?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   champ 

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

Behold... Bebbanburg!

Beware size and terrible photos:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by champ: 13 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

Tehol said:

#48 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

If Cornwell is continuing to the Battle of Brunanburh in 937, Uhtred will need a cane to walk to the battlefield. ;) But he does deserve a spear death, not a straw death in his bed.

#49 User is offline   champ 

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

View PostGabriele, on 17 July 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

If Cornwell is continuing to the Battle of Brunanburh in 937, Uhtred will need a cane to walk to the battlefield. ;) But he does deserve a spear death, not a straw death in his bed.

He admitted in an interview somewhere that it was a problem he faced and I think that is one reason his son is coming to the fore, he'll take a leading role instead of Uhtred when it comes to that battle.

Tehol said:

#50 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:11 PM

For some reason, Uhtred's England reminds me of the Warhammer Fantasy verse, with the forces of Chaos always invading only to be pushed back erry time.

Funny thing about that:

Games Workshop had Chaos win and the Warhammer Fantasy World was blown up. Everybody died. The end.

^ That's actually what happened in the past six months.
meh. Link was dead :(

#51 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 17 July 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

For some reason, Uhtred's England reminds me of the Warhammer Fantasy verse, with the forces of Chaos always invading only to be pushed back erry time.

Funny thing about that:

Games Workshop had Chaos win and the Warhammer Fantasy World was blown up. Everybody died. The end.

^ That's actually what happened in the past six months.

Thought it still ran. I mean this Age of Sigmar thing they're pushing now, and their rather uninspired Sigmarines some people are laughing at? But I can't say I know much about either setting beyond vidja games and a few so-so novels.

This post has been edited by Rictus: 17 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

#52 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:44 PM

View Postchamp, on 17 July 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

View PostGabriele, on 17 July 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

He admitted in an interview somewhere that it was a problem he faced and I think that is one reason his son is coming to the fore, he'll take a leading role instead of Uhtred when it comes to that battle.

Yeah, he's pretty much a pantster who didn't know from the outset how many Uhtred books there would be. I guess Uhtred walked off with the author (I know my characters are a disobedient lot :p )and now it would be a good thematical conclusion to end the whole thing with Brunanburh, even though it's stretching Uhtred's life expetancy a bit.

#53 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:02 PM

Cornwell is great for that. His character DO walk away with him a lot. I think only Derfel got off light, everyone else has had a longer than normal run.

#54 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 July 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

Cornwell is great for that. His character DO walk away with him a lot. I think only Derfel got off light, everyone else has had a longer than normal run.

Yeah, in case of Sharpe is was like 'is there another obscure skirmish involving those pesky French I can throw my hero into', while Uhtred has to follow a chronolgy. But Cornwell isn't the only one; there seems to be no end to the adventures of Simon Scarrow's Macro and Cato, either.

My own stuff is more epic than serial, but that doesn't prevent characters from claiming their own subplots until the whole thing has more tentacles than Cthulhu and will become a trilogy, if not worse. ;)

#55 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

Two of my favourite series, Cornwells Sharpe and Scsrrow Cato and Macro.

#56 User is offline   champ 

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:31 PM

Shit man, totally forgot that the new book is out - reminder for anyone else who may have not picked it up yet!!!

I went out on lunch and bought it today. I know what I am doing tonight.

Edit

Book name: The Flame Bearer

This post has been edited by champ: 13 October 2016 - 01:31 PM

Tehol said:

#57 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

View Postchamp, on 13 October 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

Shit man, totally forgot that the new book is out - reminder for anyone else who may have not picked it up yet!!!

Edit

Released on Nov 29th in the States.

#58 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 13 October 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 13 October 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

Edit

Released on Nov 29th in the States.

October 25th for Canada.

#59 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

Time to make a run for the border. Are Leaf tickets available or did Matthews 1st game put them all out of reach?

#60 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 13 October 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

Time to make a run for the border. Are Leaf tickets available or did Matthews 1st game put them all out of reach?

Oh, I think you can expect they are WELL out of reach. They would have been pricey before that game....now they will be in the stratosphere.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users