• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A New Reader with Many Questions

#1 User is offline   OriginalConcept 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hey,
I've just finished the first book and I'm left with many questions. If they're answered in later books, let me know. (This will contain spoilers.)

Paran notes that the death of Whiskyjack would likely start a revolution. However, Whiskyjack is on a dangerous mission. Why would a his death while in an enemy city necessarily arouse a revolt?

Paran has a sword that is somehow blessed by Oponn. Supposedly, this makes him a pawn while he holds it. Why does it matter what happens to it? (The twins could stop exerting their influence through the sword, right?)

A lot of the story centers around protecting the coinbearer, Crokus. Why does holding the coin from Oponn make him significant?

What is up with Kruppe's dreams? His powers are never explained. (Tattersail is reborn in one of them and he almost kills Raest in another.)

How does Raest soulshift out of Kruppe's dream? Why does he possess Mammot out of all the potential targets? Why doesn't he soulshift away when he's being defeated?

How does Paran call Oponn into Anomander Rake's sword and hold him in place? Why haven't other souls enslaved by the sword tried the same exit as the Hounds of Shadow?

What happens in Paran's confrontation with the Finnest? It sounded like he bites and punches a rapidly growing tree in order to slow its growth.

What is the Azath? It comes out of nowhere to destroy Raest and his Finnest.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostOriginalConcept, on 09 June 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Paran notes that the death of Whiskyjack would likely start a revolution. However, Whiskyjack is on a dangerous mission. Why would a his death while in an enemy city necessarily arouse a revolt?

WJ is very loved among the soldiers, and it's probably known to some degree that with the mission in Darujhistan Laseen means to kill him.
In short, if he dies, the army could take is as an insult (probably not the right word) from the empress.

Paran has a sword that is somehow blessed by Oponn. Supposedly, this makes him a pawn while he holds it. Why does it matter what happens to it? (The twins could stop exerting their influence through the sword, right?)

Yes, they could. But probably won't. The twins like to mess with mortals for no apparent reason, and the sword gives them a great way to do that. It's not essential to dispose of it, just wise, especially if you consider that it could turn "bad luck mode on" any time.

A lot of the story centers around protecting the coinbearer, Crokus. Why does holding the coin from Oponn make him significant?

It doesn't. Not really. But noone knows that. All they know is that he's touched by a god, and so he has probably an important role in the events to come.

What is up with Kruppe's dreams? His powers are never explained. (Tattersail is reborn in one of them and he almost kills Raest in another.)

It's not explained but it's hinted at a few times. The dreams are used by K'rul to communicate with him, so you can safely assume that the Elder god is working with him to some degree.
For now all you know about his powers is that he's probably a sorceror of some talent.

How does Raest soulshift out of Kruppe's dream? Why does he possess Mammot out of all the potential targets? Why doesn't he soulshift away when he's being defeated?

Can't help you with this one, it's been some time since i last read Gotm :whistle:

How does Paran call Oponn into Anomander Rake's sword and hold him in place? Why haven't other souls enslaved by the sword tried the same exit as the Hounds of Shadow?

What happens in Paran's confrontation with the Finnest?
What is the Azath?

These are all BIG RAFO.

It sounded like he bites and punches a rapidly growing tree in order to slow its growth.

Yup. The tree was the growing Azath.

It comes out of nowhere to destroy Raest and his Finnest.

It didn't destroy th Finnest, it only grew on it.
Someone at the end of gotm says that Azaths tend to sprout where there is a big source of power or something like that. In this case, that source is the Finnest.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the rest of the series as much as we do!
We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#3 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

He didnt soulshift into Kruppe's dream. He walked into it and then he walks out. Think of it like another dimension.

This is why Mammot got ensared.

Baruk joined him. “That is the odd part. I admit to knowing little of earth magic. D’riss is a Warren I’ve never explored. I called on Mammot, as I indicated to you, and upon his arrival I asked him to tell me all he knew of the Jaghut Tyrant and the barrow. He promptly sat down and closed his eyes. They’ve yet to open, and he’s not uttered a single word since.”

Rake straightened. “He took your request seriously, I see.”

“What do you mean?”

“As you guessed, he opened his D’riss Warren. He sought to answer your question by rather, shall we say, direct means. And now something’s trapped him.”

“He traveled by Warren to the Jaghut Tyrant’s barrow? The old fool!”

“Into a concentration of Tellann sorcery, not to mention Jaghut Omtose Phel-lack. On top of all that, a woman with an Otataral sword.” Rake crossed his arms. “He’ll not come round until both the T’lan Imass and the Otataral have left the barrow. And even then, if he’s not quick, the awakening Jaghut might take him.”

A chill burgeoned in Baruk’s bones. “Take, as in possession?”

Rake nodded, his expression grim. “A High Priest, is he? The Jaghut would find him very useful. Not to mention the access Mammot provides to D’rek. Do you know, Baruk, if this Tyrant’s capable of enslaving a goddess?”

This is what happened to Raest. after Mammot died.

She nodded. “I was witness to Mammot’s end, yes? He was opposed by myself . . . and a most remarkable wizard. The flesh that was Mammot was destroyed by a Moranth incendiary. The Jaghut spirit survived but was taken . . . by an Azath.”

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

What is the Azath? It comes out of nowhere to destroy Raest and his Finnest.

The Azath are a mystery, layers of which are revealed throughout the series.

“Azath?” Quick Ben whispered. “Here?”
“None, I would swear,” Derudan said, her face white. “It’s said they arise—”
“Where unchained power threatens life,” the wizard finished.
“I know where it is,” Kalam said. “Quick Ben, will that Jaghut escape?” “No.” “So we’re done with it. What of the Azath?” Quick Ben hugged himself. “Leave it, Kalam.”

Azath edieimarn, Pillars of Innocence—

#5 User is offline   OriginalConcept 

• Recruit

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

That makes sense. I didn't see the obvious connection between Mammot's exploration of the Warren and his eventual possession.

Thanks for the detailed responses. I look forward to reading further.

#6 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostOriginalConcept, on 10 June 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

That makes sense. I didn't see the obvious connection between Mammot's exploration of the Warren and his eventual possession.

Thanks for the detailed responses. I look forward to reading further.

Probably cant go too deep into it because of the risk of spoilers, but Tellan and Omtose Phellack are elder warrens where as D'riss is a younger warren and might not work in the presence of elder warrens especially when otataral is around.
So Mammot basically got trapped in the borrow and became a sitting duck for Raest (think of it as a battle of wills)

“Warrens, Adjunct. Tellann, Thyr, Denul, D’riss, Tennes, Thelomen Toblakai, Starvald Demelain . . .”
“Starvald Demelain, what in Hood’s Name is that?”
“Elder.”
“I thought there were but three Elder Warrens, and that’s not one of them.”
“Three? No, there were many, Adjunct, all born of one. Starvald Demelain.”
Lorn wrapped her cloak tighter about herself, eyes on the column of fire.

Welcome to the club. It will be a lot of fun.
Before MBotF, I used to skip read fiction, but this one I comb read multiple times :-) It is quite a treat.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users