Malazan Empire: Bauchelain and Korbal Broach inconsistencies - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bauchelain and Korbal Broach inconsistencies

#1 User is offline   Icarius 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Take a wild guess at one of them.
  • I am a New York Times top 10 best seller, the youngest person EVER to gain a full pilots license, 2001,2002,2005.2007,2008,2009 world hip-hop champion, the recipient of TWO Nobel prizes for science, one for work in the field of miniaturised nuclear fission reactors and a co-authour of a paper advancing string theory. A top male model, so handsome my trousers often explode and I am the only person ever to expect the Spanish Inquisition oh and I'm an inveterate liar.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

A little help please guys. Is the Wu of our happy go lucky chums in the novellas a kind of parallel universe version of Wu. My memory fails me (no surprise there) but isn't even the name of the Malazans different ?, I seem to recall there being quite a few inconsistencies to accepted canon. Can those with a better memory elucidate on these differences or correct my absolute drivel. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Icarius: 31 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this? 'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.

#2 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

I read these after having read the entire MBotF, and don't remember many inconsistencies. In fact, I liked LEES best in part because of how the Malaz references were worked in.

The only real potential inconsistency I can think of is the portrayal of Theft in BF, but even much of that gets handwaved away by a line from The Lady in SW (something along the lines of letting a few sorcerers travel freely across the continent.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 31 May 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

The only real potential inconsistency I can think of is the portrayal of Theft in BF, but even much of that gets handwaved away by a line from The Lady in SW (something along the lines of letting a few sorcerers travel freely across the continent.)

Well, it takes more than that, since the Theft in BF has seemingly non-priests-of-the-Lady magic users and people worshipping and referencing Soliel, Poliel, D'rek, Oponn and others. However, you can still wave all that away as Malazan influence from their first conquests. SW never visits Theft, so it could still be an exception by the time of SW, or else the Malazan influence could have waned.

Not sure what differences the OP is referring to here. The Malazans are called Mezla at some points, but that seems to be a common slang for Malazans (people in Seven Cities use that term, too, in DG and HoC, for example). One oddity is that Soliel and Poliel are jointly worshipped as The Sisters instead of seperately, but I would just chalk that up to a quirk of Theft. Any others?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   Icarius 

• Recruit
  • I am a New York Times top 10 best seller, the youngest person EVER to gain a full pilots license, 2001,2002,2005.2007,2008,2009 world hip-hop champion, the recipient of TWO Nobel prizes for science, one for work in the field of miniaturised nuclear fission reactors and a co-authour of a paper advancing string theory. A top male model, so handsome my trousers often explode and I am the only person ever to expect the Spanish Inquisition oh and I'm an inveterate liar.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostD, on 31 May 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 31 May 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Well, it takes more than that, since the Theft in BF has seemingly non-priests-of-the-Lady magic users and people worshipping and referencing Soliel, Poliel, D'rek, Oponn and others. However, you can still wave all that away as Malazan influence from their first conquests. SW never visits Theft, so it could still be an exception by the time of SW, or else the Malazan influence could have waned.

Not sure what differences the OP is referring to here. The Malazans are called Mezla at some points, but that seems to be a common slang for Malazans (people in Seven Cities use that term, too, in DG and HoC, for example). One oddity is that Soliel and Poliel are jointly worshipped as The Sisters instead of seperately, but I would just chalk that up to a quirk of Theft. Any others?

The OP is not sure what he is referring to. Yeah I would recognise Mezla, it is either another name or, as I said, I imagined it.
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this? 'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.

#5 User is offline   Icarius 

• Recruit

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Just found my copy of "The First Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. In "Blood Follows" the Malazans are referred to as "Mell'zan" and Fist is significantly different in "The Healthy Dead" including "Well Knights" instead of "The Chosen". Their deity is "The Lady of Beneficence, the Goddess of Wellness" and any injured wall workmen become "Saints" there are a number of demons including "the third and most reviled demon, Vice". "The Healthy Dead" is basically a satire on modern health fads and is a kind of comical parallel universe version of Fist and takes place in the city of Quaint which I do not recall existing in the Fist of "Stonewielder".

#6 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostIcarius, on 15 June 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Just found my copy of "The First Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. In "Blood Follows" the Malazans are referred to as "Mell'zan" and Fist is significantly different in "The Healthy Dead" including "Well Knights" instead of "The Chosen". Their deity is "The Lady of Beneficence, the Goddess of Wellness" and any injured wall workmen become "Saints" there are a number of demons including "the third and most reviled demon, Vice". "The Healthy Dead" is basically a satire on modern health fads and is a kind of comical parallel universe version of Fist and takes place in the city of Quaint which I do not recall existing in the Fist of "Stonewielder".

This one's easy: The Healthy Dead doesn't take place on Fist/Korel.

The chronological order for the omnibus is BF->TLoLE->THD. They start on Fist in BF, then sail across the ocean in TLoLE, and THD takes place sometime after their trip. (The fourth novella, CPT, comes last chronologically, and the fifth, TWoB, takes place immediately following TLoLE.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users