Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oponns daddy (spoilers)

#1 User is offline   Randomander 

• Soletaken Dragon Reborn
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Ice is contradicting SE, right? I'm pretty sure in tcg erikson told us about the birth of oponn and how they were spawned from sechul lath, not the errant but in blood and bone ice drops this little Doozey on us
"“Get of the Errant. The vindictive two-faced Twins.”
Excerpt From: Ian C. Esslemont. “Blood and Bone.” A Tom Doherty Associates Book. iBooks. This material may be protected by copyright.
Also, wtf is up with t'riss being ugly. She was described as a fox in forge of darkness

#2 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

They could be spawn of both.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#3 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostKanese S, on 23 May 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

They could be spawn of both.

I find that likely. And a smidgen arousing.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#4 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

View PostRandomander, on 22 May 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Also, wtf is up with t'riss being ugly. She was described as a fox in forge of darkness

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but i think its stated somewhere that Azathanai are wont to change their appearance, and may also reflect the way the see-er chooses to see them.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#5 User is offline   Randomander 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

Spoilsport Stonny said:

1369269210[/url]' post='1057054']
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but i think its stated somewhere that Azathanai are wont to change their appearance, and may also reflect the way the see-er chooses to see them.

Yeah, I mean throughout the book it alludes to her being real butt hurt about anomanders death, maybe this aesthetically displeasing look is her form of mourning? That's what I'm goin with, but I still don't like it

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

who's the one saying that oponn are get of the errant? that's pretty important i think. sechul lath's POV says he created them by walking into chaos. was the errant with him? maybe, i guess.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   Randomander 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

It was T'riss saying the whole deal about them being the get of the Errant. Probably should have mentioned that. I was thinking maybe by the way he used get he kinda meant like related to? At least that's a possibility but if that's the case it definitely should have been worded differently

#8 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostRandomander, on 23 May 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

It was T'riss saying the whole deal about them being the get of the Errant. Probably should have mentioned that. I was thinking maybe by the way he used get he kinda meant like related to? At least that's a possibility but if that's the case it definitely should have been worded differently

Good catch. T'riss POV should probably considered reliable. (i.e. not attributable to mythological uncertainty). This might be a real error (either miscommunication or typo)
Alternatively
Sechul's (Knuckles) aspect seems to be pure chance. Where as the Errant adds subtle manipulations to make people act in specific way (like when he makes Brys drink the poisoned wine. A Dice game would be based on chance but using loaded dice would be a nudge).
In that sense the twins seem to be closer to the Errant.

#9 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

aren't the errant and sechul both killys sons so they are brothers and oponn theredore is related to both?

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

No, they are both Grizzin Farl's sons. The Errant is not necessarily related to Killy. But you're still right, he and Sechul are half brothers. But also, as far as I remember, Sechul made a bizarre and dangerous trip through Chaos or something to create them, it wasn't a traditional begatting to make Oponn.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

RE Opponns Parentage- Im sure we get a pretty much POV memory of Opponn being created by Setch in DOD/TCG and given there appearance just as he died id say its an inconsistency by ICE rather than a product of both gods.

RE the QOD being ugly- Its just a humourous literary device. ICE made the QOD ugly so that it would be a interesting POV point from her high priestess. Azathanai we are told in FOD can change there form to any that they like, we see Kily become a Thel Akai in TCG. So it doesnt really mean anything.

This post has been edited by Jean-Claude Van tiam: 26 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

#12 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

Since Oponn are agents of sowing discord, random chance and chaos, they are certainly the spiritual progeny of the Errant as he used to be. Sechul Lath definitely says that Oponn was "(his) greatest cast" while playing with some knuckle bones, but he and the Errant were close and often worked together before he decided to take a vacation in Killy's Azath, so it makes sense on a couple of levels.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

'get of the Errant' could be more a comment on their aspect than their parentage.
It could also be an insult, actually. It's been suggested back in GotM that Oponn has caused more than a little trouble for Rake, and the QoD, being a fan and ally of Mandy's, may not have warm fuzzy thoughts for them.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Indeed, it could be a less than endearing term just in general. Especially given that the Errant has been a douche for a long, long time.

Or perhaps they really are his kids, but he foisted them off on Sechul Lath to care for.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#15 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostRandomander, on 22 May 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Also, wtf is up with t'riss being ugly.

View PostNoOneExpectsThetiamishInquisition, on 26 May 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

RE the QOD being ugly- Its just a humourous literary device. ICE made the QOD ugly so that it would be a interesting POV point from her high priestess. Azathanai we are told in FOD can change there form to any that they like, we see Kily become a Thel Akai in TCG. So it doesnt really mean anything.

Remember also that in Orb, Sceptre, Throne, K'rul was a woman, when he was a guy in every SE book he appeared in. And doesn't Triss herself mention that she's taken on the 'ugly' aspect to hide her powers and whatnot? She leaves her powers behind when she enters the jungle, and makes herself ugly because she doubts Ardata would expect her to want to keep her beauty at least.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users