• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Guy- Lots of Questions...help?

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Zadakeem - i split your reading thread off into the GotM subforum. It will get more attention and is more on topic there.

Watch out for spoilers in other threads.
If you want to change the title or something else, let the modgods know.

Enjoy!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 May 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Zadakeem - i split your reading thread off into the GotM subforum. It will get more attention and is more on topic there.

Watch out for spoilers in other threads.
If you want to change the title or something else, let the modgods know.

Enjoy!

I really thought you'd end that post with

onneee of usss onnneee of usss

Are you having a bad day, Abyss?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#23 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostZadakeem, on 23 May 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

O believe me, I am reading my friend. Forgive my concerns, it just happens to be the way I was raised.

Thanks all for being so generous in your answers. I will have many more questions as things progress.

May the Light shine on you all.

In most series, light tends to equal good. That assumption can be problematic in this one. :p

Anyway, sex happens, because ultimately this series is about characters, and sex is part of people's lives. To be fair, there's a lot more time spent on characters eating food (and more detail, especially where Kruppe is involved), or walking places, or philosophizing (those latter two especially in the second to last book), or blowing things up, or blowing things up with magic, or messing with gods, than on them fucking.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#24 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostD, on 22 May 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Read order:

GotM > DG > MoI > HoC > MT > NoK > RG > RotCG > TtH > SW > DoD > TCG > OST > B&B

Erikson books in blue
Esslemont books in green

There's differing opinions on what is the "best" order, but just about everyone agrees this is a good order (mostly chronological, except when the authors don't want it to be; no books spoiling future books; very close to published order)

Sexuality:

There is sex. Some good, some bad. Some consensual, some not. Some mundane, some disturbing. Some of it is described somewhat graphically, but the vast majority of it is only described vaguely or alluded to. When the authors want you to feel something, they will write whatever it takes to truly make you FEEL. It might make you uncomfortable sometimes.

You will FEEL. Good and bad. It's worth it.

I expect you to post the 3rd sentence of the first chapter in less than 30 minutes :p

Just to point out, D'rek missed out The Bonehunters, which should be situated after NoK and before RG - wouldn't want you to skip the best book in the series! :p
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#25 User is offline   BAD 

• Masher of HHT
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Sleeping!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I would say you can read the entire main series through without reading any of the "tangent" books also. While I have NoK and the Bauchelain/Broach books I haven't read them and don't intend to read them (or the Esslemont books either) until finishing the main series. I guess it depends how you enjoy reading. For me part of the enjoyment is the speculation in my own head at what could have happened in the past or elsewhere. Then finding out ages later and going "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's why!"

This post has been edited by BAD: 24 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Forum needs more infopop.

#26 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostKanese S, on 24 May 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

View PostZadakeem, on 23 May 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

May the Light shine on you all.

In most series, light tends to equal good. That assumption can be problematic in this one. :p

You should say "May Justice always find you" . Even better if after that you add "alwaysssss..." in a creepy voice and start cackling maniacally.
We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#27 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 24 May 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Read order:

GotM > DG > MoI > HoC > MT > NoK > BH!!! > RG > RotCG > TtH > SW > DoD > TCG > OST > B&B

Erikson books in blue
Esslemont books in green

There's differing opinions on what is the "best" order, but just about everyone agrees this is a good order (mostly chronological, except when the authors don't want it to be; no books spoiling future books; very close to published order)

Sexuality:

There is sex. Some good, some bad. Some consensual, some not. Some mundane, some disturbing. Some of it is described somewhat graphically, but the vast majority of it is only described vaguely or alluded to. When the authors want you to feel something, they will write whatever it takes to truly make you FEEL. It might make you uncomfortable sometimes.

You will FEEL. Good and bad. It's worth it.

I expect you to post the 3rd sentence of the first chapter in less than 30 minutes :p

Just to point out, D'rek missed out The Bonehunters, which should be situated after NoK and before RG - wouldn't want you to skip the best book in the series! :p

Oooooooooooooooooooopsie

View PostBAD, on 24 May 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

I would say you can read the entire main series through without reading any of the "tangent" books also. While I have NoK and the Bauchelain/Broach books I haven't read them and don't intend to read them (or the Esslemont books either) until finishing the main series. I guess it depends how you enjoy reading. For me part of the enjoyment is the speculation in my own head at what could have happened in the past or elsewhere. Then finding out ages later and going "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's why!"

Can you really say that without having read the ICE books? :p

IMO, yes you can read Erikson's 10 MBotF novels without reading any of the ICE novels, and you can read Esslemont's 6 NotME novels without reading any of SE's.

But if you are ever going to read both, you should really read RotCG in-sequence with the MBotF (between RG and TtH works best). While the plots of RotCG do not have a large overall impact on any of the plots of the SE books, reading TtH, DoD and TCG gives you a whole whack of big spoilers for RotCG, making it less enjoyable when you do get around to reading it because you already know how it's going to end. The other ICE novels aren't affected by this as much. Similarly, if someone is starting with the ICE novels, I would want them to read TtH before reading OST (though that is more problematic because there are 7 MBotF books leading up to TtH).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostD, on 23 May 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 May 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Zadakeem - i split your reading thread off into the GotM subforum....

I really thought you'd end that post with

onneee of usss onnneee of usss

Are you having a bad day, Abyss?

Nah. I'm trying a new approach and being all welcoming and helpful and non-invasive and stuff and then once they're up to MoI and well and truly hooked and dependant and integrated we switch to mandatory cash contributions DNA tags and llama-juice.

View PostD, on 24 May 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 24 May 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Read order:

GotM > DG > MoI > HoC > MT > NoK > BH!!! > RG > RotCG > TtH > SW > DoD > TCG > OST > B&B

Oooooooooooooooooooopsie

Quick! Someone make a screencap before it's wiped from the timestream.

View PostBAD, on 24 May 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Can you really say that without having read the ICE books? :p

IMO, yes you can read Erikson's 10 MBotF novels without reading any of the ICE novels, and you can read Esslemont's 6 NotME novels without reading any of SE's.

But if you are ever going to read both, you should really read RotCG in-sequence with the MBotF (between RG and TtH works best). While the plots of RotCG do not have a large overall impact on any of the plots of the SE books, reading TtH, DoD and TCG gives you a whole whack of big spoilers for RotCG, making it less enjoyable when you do get around to reading it because you already know how it's going to end. The other ICE novels aren't affected by this as much. Similarly, if someone is starting with the ICE novels, I would want them to read TtH before reading OST (though that is more problematic because there are 7 MBotF books leading up to TtH).

I'd also make the argument that NoK ahead of TB is a good idea. Not required to understand TB by any means, but it does add something at a few points. When it comes to the SE/ICE interface, i think there's enough overlap that reading the two together in the published order (ish) enhances the overall.

The B&KB books are entirely tangential and not required reading by any means (tho FUN!). On the (third or possibly eighth) reread i mix things up a bit and even jump around between books mid book, but i have a problem.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29 User is offline   Okaros 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Whoops

This post has been edited by Okaros: 14 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

#30 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostAbyss, on 24 May 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

I'd also make the argument that NoK ahead of TB is a good idea. Not required to understand TB by any means, but it does add something at a few points. When it comes to the SE/ICE interface, i think there's enough overlap that reading the two together in the published order (ish) enhances the overall.

Building upon my own experience, I'd rec reading NoK directly after TB (which, to me, was a coincidence). A nice atmospheric link (particularly when the story decided to mimic the wonderful mid-spring weather of a Finnish coastal city), not to mention that Malaz city will stand fresh in the memory.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users