Malazan Empire: Eclipse III - signup thread - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Eclipse III - signup thread modded by ME!

#21 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

No problem. More time for me to procrastinate!

Tapper is officially on the list.

2 vacancies left!

EDIT - although even if we don't fill them, another 7P game would be fine.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 23 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#22 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

WHOLE POST EDITED
OK, after playing around with it a bit, what do you think of this idea?

I will post an ENTIRE board update as a PDF instead of jpegs. Then you can look at it in a separate window, zoom and pan around without having to flip between threads.

Also much easier for me to shuffle things around and do board updates this way, rather than having to attach 20 individual files - and you can see the whole game at a quick glance.

EDIT - ps, if you're not up for this idea, there isn't really another good way to do it all in 1 pic. Can't possibly get resolution high enough to insert all the game hexes and player boards in a single image or even a pair of images.

Attached File  Eclipse game.pdf (5.32MB)
Number of downloads: 22

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 23 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#23 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

ok, I like this PDF version a lot. It preserves the scaling better than anything I've tried...so you should be able to see system names and everything when you zoom in.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#24 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

All for it if that's what you'd prefer :)
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#25 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Looks good to me.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#26 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Unlike you...
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#27 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I think the PDF works really well, and it sure looks like less work. Hopefully you get enough for a 9 player game, non-alliance game, I look forward to watching the carnage.

Plus I really want to play, so if you get enough people it removes temptation!

Oh and regards to moving posts etc, I'll probably make a mod account for eclipse, as I think otherwise it will be difficult for you to mod the game using d'reks posts as a starter (because d'reks posts will have to be the first post because they were first in time as far as I can tell)

#28 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostGanoes Paran, on 23 April 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Unlike you...

Only on Opposite Day. Ohhh yeah!
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#29 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

@ all

I was hoping you'd say that. The PDF should pretty much enable me to keep the whole game in a single file. It might be a pain for those who want to look at the game on their phone....but that's a small price to pay for reduced work and a better looking game board.

View PostImperial Historian, on 23 April 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

I think the PDF works really well, and it sure looks like less work. Hopefully you get enough for a 9 player game, non-alliance game, I look forward to watching the carnage.

Plus I really want to play, so if you get enough people it removes temptation!

Oh and regards to moving posts etc, I'll probably make a mod account for eclipse, as I think otherwise it will be difficult for you to mod the game using d'reks posts as a starter (because d'reks posts will have to be the first post because they were first in time as far as I can tell)

Ok, when I actually start the game thread I'll just be sure to jump in and post 2-3 placeholder spots of my own, then ask folks to post their own placeholder spot right after. I'll just delete any intervening out-of-order posts using the mod account to have the desired first-page sequence. Then it's business as usual. Given that we have 15 posts per page as default on the forum, that should be enough for the game-related posts and for each player to have a move summary post on page 1.

I know there are multiple copies of each tech...how do I know how many there should be of each? Can somebody with the game send me the proper amounts for the VP tiles, diplo tiles, disco tiles and all that?

EDIT - I also have 2 hexes I've not seen before. They have a bit different background than the others, numbered 391 and 392. Each has an advanced econ, science, materials and a 2-slot grey planet. They both have a little star shape with a pair of dice in the center.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 23 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#30 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

PDF thingy sounds good to me. I had that sorta thing last game and it was great (I just had to break it up when attaching to the forum due to image size issues).

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 23 April 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Ok, when I actually start the game thread I'll just be sure to jump in and post 2-3 placeholder spots of my own, then ask folks to post their own placeholder spot right after. I'll just delete any intervening out-of-order posts using the mod account to have the desired first-page sequence. Then it's business as usual. Given that we have 15 posts per page as default on the forum, that should be enough for the game-related posts and for each player to have a move summary post on page 1.

Do we need to post in a certain order?

I know there are multiple copies of each tech...how do I know how many there should be of each? Can somebody with the game send me the proper amounts for the VP tiles, diplo tiles, disco tiles and all that?

You might be able to find my lists of that at the start of the last game thread. If not, I'm borrowing a copy of it tonight so I'll count them and let you know.

EDIT - I also have 2 hexes I've not seen before. They have a bit different background than the others, numbered 391 and 392. Each has an advanced econ, science, materials and a 2-slot grey planet. They both have a little star shape with a pair of dice in the center.

Supernova hexes? Or Quazar hexes?

Also, if no one else signs up in the next couple days, try PM'ing ST or RLY, I think they both expressed interest in playing at some point

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#31 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

There should be a list of numbers of techs etc somewhere on boardgame geek.

391 and 392 are the hexes from the supernova edition, there is some mechanic regarding them going supernova and blowing up at some point in the game but not 100% sure on the details, again details should be in the supernova section of eclipse on boardgamegeek.

I'll try and set up the mod account tonight when I get chance.

#32 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 23 April 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

WHOLE POST EDITED
OK, after playing around with it a bit, what do you think of this idea?

I will post an ENTIRE board update as a PDF instead of jpegs. Then you can look at it in a separate window, zoom and pan around without having to flip between threads.

Also much easier for me to shuffle things around and do board updates this way, rather than having to attach 20 individual files - and you can see the whole game at a quick glance.

EDIT - ps, if you're not up for this idea, there isn't really another good way to do it all in 1 pic. Can't possibly get resolution high enough to insert all the game hexes and player boards in a single image or even a pair of images.

Attachment Eclipse game.pdf

The PDF file is pretty sweet. The only downside that I see is for phone users won't be able to do downloads. At least I couldn't when I was using the wife's tablet earler. But I do most of my strategizing at the computer so it shouldn't be too big of an issue.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#33 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

I have the option of doing a .png file too, it's just that the file size needs to be absolutely huge to resolve the detail.

Funny that it won't work on a tablet though. I can download and view pdfs to my heart's content on my android phone. Are pdf's blocked somehow by i-crap?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#34 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I think this will be fine on my phone too.<br><br>edit -<br>yes it works fantastic.<br>

This post has been edited by Ganoes Paran: 23 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#35 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 23 April 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

I have the option of doing a .png file too, it's just that the file size needs to be absolutely huge to resolve the detail.

Funny that it won't work on a tablet though. I can download and view pdfs to my heart's content on my android phone. Are pdf's blocked somehow by i-crap?

It's probably my techtardness showing through. It was the on the kindle fire and it could be that it was downloading but taking forever and I'm too impatient to wait. I knew once I got onto the laptop I would be able to see it. I love the background on the file. Too bad it gets covered up once the map gets in place.

How do you make changes to the PDF once tiles start to get drawn?

#36 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostD, on 23 April 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

PDF thingy sounds good to me. I had that sorta thing last game and it was great (I just had to break it up when attaching to the forum due to image size issues).

My image size is about 5mb right now and that doesn't seem to be an issue. It will get a bit bigger as I layer more and more elements onto it, but still should not exceed the upload limit.

If it comes down to it, I can always split off the player boards and save them in a different file.

Do we need to post in a certain order?

Nope, it's just a quick reference for me and others. Once it's gone around the board a couple of times everyone will remember will remember the turn order anyway.

You might be able to find my lists of that at the start of the last game thread. If not, I'm borrowing a copy of it tonight so I'll count them and let you know.

I vaguely remember you doing that. I'll have a look later on.

Supernova hexes? Or Quazar hexes?

Also, if no one else signs up in the next couple days, try PM'ing ST or RLY, I think they both expressed interest in playing at some point

RE the new hexes: are they just a mini-expansion / optional ruleset or do they come along with a whole pile of expansion content?

I'm happy adding them in this game seeing as how I have the files anyway. I'd just need a reference to the supernova edition rules that I could post (since they aren't included in the original eclipse pdf rules).
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#37 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

View Posttwelve, on 23 April 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 23 April 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

It's probably my techtardness showing through. It was the on the kindle fire and it could be that it was downloading but taking forever and I'm too impatient to wait. I knew once I got onto the laptop I would be able to see it. I love the background on the file. Too bad it gets covered up once the map gets in place.

How do you make changes to the PDF once tiles start to get drawn?

Here is a copy of the overall file I'll be working with. Hexes and tech tiles and everything else are separate entities that I can just drag n drop wherever I want them. Export just the map section in the center as PDF, upload to forum, continue on like a boss.

Note spoilered for huge hugeness

Spoiler

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 23 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#38 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

I noticed that none of the expansion race's are on the file. Will we not be able to uses them?

OR can those be added later?

This post has been edited by twelve: 23 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

#39 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

I just haven't gotten around to grabbing all the image files from the game 2 thread. D'rek did a good job of putting up all the expansion content...I just need a few minutes to go through the first dozen or so pages and DL it all.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#40 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 23 April 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

RE the new hexes: are they just a mini-expansion / optional ruleset or do they come along with a whole pile of expansion content?

I'm happy adding them in this game seeing as how I have the files anyway. I'd just need a reference to the supernova edition rules that I could post (since they aren't included in the original eclipse pdf rules).

Yeah, they are just mini add-ons. Both supernova and pulsar (which I've been calling quazar, oops) add 2 new hexes with a unique little mechanic (the mechanic only applies to those hexes and doesn't change anything else) and they add 1 more discovery tile which works like other discovery tiles.

Supernova:
Spoiler

Pulsar:
Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users