Malazan Empire: The last book you read that was truly fantastic - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The last book you read that was truly fantastic

#61 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 July 2021 - 02:42 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 July 2021 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 29 July 2021 - 12:36 PM, said:

Becky Chambers' Wayfarer series.

Four books beginning with The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, which is very Firefly-esque in terms of "found family" on a ship getting into misadventures. The second one A Closed and Common Orbit is perhaps the weakest of the four, although still very good. A Record of a Spaceborn Few is a slightly different style in that it seems to be a collection of unrelated threads which do mostly converge in the end, and does a fantastic job of asking the question of what happens when humans have been in space long enough that they start to look back to the ground? It's probably my favourite and I found it the most affecting of the four. The final one The Galaxy and the Ground Within is different again, showing how a bunch of strangers of different species temporarily stuck mid-journey on a small station together cope and how they help one another.

They're linked together tenuously but all take place in the same universe.

You're someone whose tastes quite often coincide with mine and as such, on my "to be trusted with recommendations" shortlist ;) I'll add them to my ever growing "I should get them and read them" wishlist...

I've read the first three (own the fourth) and they are all very good, but it was the second one that really blew me away, funnily enough.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#62 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:39 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 July 2021 - 03:25 PM, said:

You're someone whose tastes quite often coincide with mine and as such, on my "to be trusted with recommendations" shortlist ;) I'll add them to my ever growing "I should get them and read them" wishlist...

When you get round to it, I look forward to the semi-frequent updates like with the Warlord Chronicles. They were ace! Posted Image

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 31 July 2021 - 02:42 PM, said:

I've read the first three (own the fourth) and they are all very good, but it was the second one that really blew me away, funnily enough.

Ooo, enjoy number four when you get to it! :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users