• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forum Shift - Scheduled Downtime Monday 18th March, 9pm GMT

#41 User is offline   Xae 

• Server Administrator
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

You guys seem cool, and at least half as weird as I am. So long as you make regular visits to the dark side of the moon, it'll be great.

#42 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

And with that, Xae gives both his benediction, and a nice "mission accomplished". We're satisfied the forum is running correctly, so congrats everyone!

And again, a massive thanks to Xae, for becoming our new System Administrator and putting us up on an awesome server. It's been a great start already. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#43 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

So, I take it that since Xae and yourself, Silencer (along with Abyss and whatever dregs you've managed to scrounge together as moderators), are in total and absolute control of the forum, yes?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#44 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 19 March 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

So, I take it that since Xae and yourself, Silencer (along with Abyss and whatever dregs you've managed to scrounge together as moderators), are in total and absolute control of the forum, yes?

As far as it goes, yes. Really it's no different than what we had previously, we're just hosted on a better server than we were, thanks to Xae, and he's pretty good at the server-side stuff so can do a lot more on that end than I could previously. And of course Hetan has stepped down as site owner in exchange for yours truly.

Oh, and I think I object to you referring to the rest of the administrators as "dregs", btw - show them some respect, they help keep the forum running, thankyouverymuch. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#45 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostSilencer, on 19 March 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

As far as it goes, yes. Really it's no different than what we had previously, we're just hosted on a better server than we were, thanks to Xae, and he's pretty good at the server-side stuff so can do a lot more on that end than I could previously. And of course Hetan has stepped down as site owner in exchange for yours truly.

So, a revolution to install Loki as our evil dictator is completely out of the question then?

Oh, and I think I object to you referring to the rest of the administrators as "dregs", btw - show them some respect, they help keep the forum running, thankyouverymuch. :p

Hey, I was just trying, y'know, curry favour with our new evil overlord by separating the two of you from the other, lesser, moderators :p

But seriously now. With regards to the amazon link, I seem to be missing that. Where exactly is it supposed to be? Or is it simply gone af the move?EDIT: Nevermind, it's my browser that's messed up! Done and solved!

This post has been edited by Primateus: 19 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

#46 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

There are a couple of examples of Amazon link.

1) Can be found on the forum main page, below the reputation/recent topics added boxes, on the right-hand side of the page, and is only for Amazon.co.uk. If you cannot see this, *assuming* you are on the Malazan Empire skin (black and purple), there should be a little purple arrow in the same general area, which when clicked will expand the above boxes. If you are not on the (glorious) Malazan Empire skin (you heathen :)) then see option 2.

2) On the main site page (malazanempire.com itself), there are three links for Amazon: .com, .co.uk and .ca. Click on whichever one of these, and all good, it will refer you to Amazon and theoretically anything you buy therefore earns us a bit of a referral. :p

And Loki is awesome. Whether or not she's officially the evil dictator of the forum or not...well...XD

EDIT: Oh, good. After I spent all that time typing that reply out. :p

Shinrei said:

#47 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Well, now I feel like an idiot, because my messed up browser only let's me use the one on the front page. The link on the forum is gone once more. I hate my browser, it is evil and it must burn!

#48 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostSilencer, on 19 March 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

1) Can be found on the forum main page, below the reputation/recent topics added boxes, on the right-hand side of the page, and is only for Amazon.co.uk. If you cannot see this, *assuming* you are on the Malazan Empire skin (black and purple), there should be a little purple arrow in the same general area, which when clicked will expand the above boxes. If you are not on the (glorious) Malazan Empire skin (you heathen :)) then see option 2.

2) On the main site page (malazanempire.com itself), there are three links for Amazon: .com, .co.uk and .ca. Click on whichever one of these, and all good, it will refer you to Amazon and theoretically anything you buy therefore earns us a bit of a referral. :p

And Loki is awesome. Whether or not she's officially the evil dictator of the forum or not...well...XD

Maybe a thread dedicated to this would be good? Do you track them or is that impossible? i bought something the other day via the link for the first time, I use amazon a lot so I would keep doing it if I know it's working...
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#49 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostGanoes Paran, on 19 March 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 19 March 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

Maybe a thread dedicated to this would be good? Do you track them or is that impossible? i bought something the other day via the link for the first time, I use amazon a lot so I would keep doing it if I know it's working...

There is in fact a thread dedicated to this - it hasn't seen any action since the announcement, as we don't really like to push it on our members, though I do understand that a lot of people don't remember them/don't even know they exist.

As for tracking, we certainly don't know who purchased what, but we do have a comprehensive audit log (which I've just found...I've only been "in charge" of this for like two days, hehe) which lists exactly what has been purchased, what kind of product it is, and how much it sold for vs how much we got out of it.

Caveat: this is all for the UK Amazon site. The US one is not under me; we're currently figuring out how to deal with that (as they are a bit of a pain to deal with). But for the year to January 1st 2013, I'm most pleased to announce that we made: 41.61 Pounds, from 87 items purchased via that site.

Thanks guys!

(I do believe when we first set the links up, we planned to post this information yearly, but it hasn't happened all that often for various reasons...mainly because I think one year we made like $5 off the US one, which was not really worth reporting...)

So yeah, we do definitely get revenue from this and over the course of the year it adds up. Not necessarily all that much in the grand scheme of things, but if it pays for things like Chat, the Gallery, etc, it's worth it.

There are some things that need to be reviewed now that we've shifted sites and I'll probably make mention of all this stuff in that post when it shows up.

Uhm, yeah, so that's that, I guess. Any questions?

Shinrei said:

#50 User is offline   Mrs Savagely Wishy Washy 

• unaligned and irremediable
  • Interests:vested.
  • Ugly is the new pretty.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

great job silencer-it all works fine except i was wondering whether you could help me out with this: the thread feed on the front page hasn't turned up yet on my work mac, and i haven't had a chance to check on my pc at home yet. i'm using chrome. what to do?

thanks a lot for taking over the forum from hetan. you're a star.
but are they worth preserving?
'that judgement does not belong to you.'

#51 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostMiss Savagely Wishy Washy, on 19 March 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

great job silencer-it all works fine except i was wondering whether you could help me out with this: the thread feed on the front page hasn't turned up yet on my work mac, and i haven't had a chance to check on my pc at home yet. i'm using chrome. what to do?

Thanks Miss Savage. :p

Still got to look into the forum feed on the front page, I'm afraid. Aware of the issue, just haven't managed to resolve it yet. Thanks for making mention of it anyway, though. :p

Shinrei said:

#52 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

I'm missing that Elder Scrolls forum already.

#53 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 19 March 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

I'm missing that Elder Scrolls forum already.

You're welcome to visit, they're nice folks, and doing some very interesting things modding the game. :p darkcreations.org. XD

Shinrei said:

#54 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

It looks good Silencer that was a very SMOOTH move. I did have to clear my cache out but I expected that.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#55 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Did you expect any less of SIlencer? He is reputed to be top shelf in the area of smooth techniques
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#56 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 19 March 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Did you expect any less of SIlencer? He is reputed to be top shelf in the area of smooth techniques

I always expect Silencer to be smooth. Like Keith Stone.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#57 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostXae, on 19 March 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

You guys seem cool, and at least half as weird as I am. So long as you make regular visits to the dark side of the moon, it'll be great.

I, for one, WELCOME our new Pink Floyd referencing Overlord, and point out that a an extensive list of derelicts, malcontents and other purge-worthy forumites is available at any time.

We can delete you whenever we want, so yes.

View PostPrimateus, on 19 March 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

..., I was just trying, y'know, curry favour with our new evil overlord by separating the two of you from the other, lesser, moderators ...

They can also delete you whenever they want.

Silencer said:

... this is all for the UK Amazon site. The US one is not under me; we're currently figuring out how to deal with that (as they are a bit of a pain to deal with)....Any questions?

amazon.ca?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#58 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostSilencer, on 19 March 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

View PostMiss Savagely Wishy Washy, on 19 March 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Thanks Miss Savage. :)

Still got to look into the forum feed on the front page, I'm afraid. Aware of the issue, just haven't managed to resolve it yet. Thanks for making mention of it anyway, though. :p

[aside] Miss Savage not Grimm :p
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#59 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm in! Huzzah!

Did not know about the US Amazon affiliate not playing well with you guys. It's what I use... as I am in the US.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#60 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

OK, for everyone's notice:

There appears to be a small problem with a line of IPB code which is giving the occasional "500 error". Don't worry too much about it, this can usually be solved by refreshing the page you were on (if it asks about resubmitting data, just click "OK"/"Continue"), or if not simply through that, then by loading a new tab of the forums, and once that works coming back and refreshing the problem tab. And if that fails, a cache clear + refresh will almost certainly work.

Don't panic. Nothing major. And we're looking into it. :p

This is what it normally says:

Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://forum.malazan...&#entry1040591. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfil the request.

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users