Malazan Empire: The World of Ice and Fire - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +

The World of Ice and Fire Out November 2014 Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

This came out today and is excellent. The artwork is astonishing and the book really delves into some fairly big mysteries:

They explain why the Valyrians never conquered Westeros:

Spoiler

Also wrt to the seasons:

Spoiler

The Doom of Valyria:

Spoiler

Also, GRRM drops some more Lovecraft references:

Spoiler

Finally, the book confirms that 1) the world is round and 2) the seasons are magical and cannot be explained by science. There's a whole bit on maesters driving themselves crazy trying to explain the seasons through science and giving up.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 28 October 2014 - 05:27 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#22 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

Man o man, I want this book so badly, I imagine if I buy it though I will actually have to put off buying further books in the Malazan series for a bit, got's myself a decision to make I spose.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#23 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

For me, part of the appeal is the mystery in Martin's world. I hope he leaves some blanks on the map because that Doom part was . . . underwhelming to say the least.

#24 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostRictus, on 29 October 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

For me, part of the appeal is the mystery in Martin's world. I hope he leaves some blanks on the map because that Doom part was . . . underwhelming to say the least.
From what people on Westeros have been saying, Asshai is if anything more WTF than before.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#25 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

Asshai is really, really weird and bizarre. A bit more Bakker than anything we've seen before.

Spoiler

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#26 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

Bought the book today, haven't gotten to properly sit down and enjoy it yet, as my girlfriend is currently looking at it, going to read this thing so hard... lol

#27 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

Reading through I was more than a little amused to see that the Tully's have in their ancestry two men by the name of Elmo and Kermit lol

#28 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

I've not been impressed with Martin for some time, but I've got to say World of Ice and Fire is really good. He still needs a good editor/thesaurus (his new favourite word is "lickspittle") but it's interesting to read a book which so obviously contains the bias of the various maesters who wrote the original scripts Maester Yandel pulls together to write the book. You can really play "Spot the Pycelle" with everything Aerys onwards.

Also, the artwork is beautiful.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#29 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

It's a gem indeed. I truly hope that SE and ICE will do something like this in the future as well. It is simply gorgeous -and- very well constructed, a rare combination.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#30 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

They were going to be doing the ENCYCLOPEDIA MALAZAICA, but the impression I get now is that they don't see the need with the Wiki, and if anything like that gets done it will be through something like an RPG setting sourcebook.

#31 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

There are plenty of Wiki's and other internet databases on SoIaF as well, but the WoIaF is something a bit different. Don't think you can compare it like that.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#32 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

View PostGorefest, on 15 January 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

There are plenty of Wiki's and other internet databases on SoIaF as well, but the WoIaF is something a bit different. Don't think you can compare it like that.

There's also the slight difference in sales between the two series. WoIaF was still seen as a bit of a gamble, even with the main series selling 35 million copies. For a series with far fewer sales, a big lavish companion book is going to be an even bigger risk.

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

View PostJahdu, on 15 May 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Am I the only one that gets the feeling that people are just trying to milk the cash cow that is GoT a bit too much??
Why don't they just go the whole hog and open up the GoT theme park already...

I, for one, would be totally cool with a WoT theme park.

Would probably have to be adults only tho'...

View PostWerthead, on 28 October 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

Also, GRRM drops some more Lovecraft references:

Spoiler

Finally, the book confirms that 1) the world is round and 2) the seasons are magical and cannot be explained by science. There's a whole bit on maesters driving themselves crazy trying to explain the seasons through science and giving up.

I was stunned at how much Lovecraft they worked in...

Spoiler

....seriously that last one was a bit much.

View PostD, on 29 October 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

....Asshai is if anything more WTF than before.

SO MUCH WTF.
I liked that part. (Wyverns! Velociraptors! King Kong!!!!... no, seriously, King Kong, that was ridiculous in a good way...), so much more weird and dark than the more traditional Euro-esque fantasy of Westeros... shades we only see in bits and pieces in the actual books.

Let me say that this totally did not work in earbook. While there are chunks, mostly realted to battles or some of the more weird sections, that are good listening, overall this is far too dry and academic (considering the source material) to really hold one's interest in purely audio form. The two narrators do their best, no critique of the voicework at all.

In ebook however, way nicer - arguably the dead tree version still stands above, but even so - with the gorgeous art and the ability to skim the upteenth paragraph of Aerons and Aegons and Aesshats, it makes for a better work overall.

I really enjoyed the Dorne section, which did a lot to flesh out that segment of the world.
I liked getting clarification on the interplay between the First Men, Andals and Targaryans.
The histories of the various castles were a nice touch.
Lord Tywin's history was even more fun than i expected.
Still didn't get an authoritative retelling of the fight between Ned and Dane. Dammit.
I did not like the endlessly repetitious names, with only infrequent 'The eighth of his name' to clarify who the fuck. Sure it's neat to read about the original Joffrey, but otherwise it's offputting, not engaging. The book acknowledges this more than once, outright stating sometimes the stories are muddled because the same name was recycled for generations, but it made for an irritating narrative, tho again that may have been an earbook thing.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:57 AM

View PostBriar King, on 27 October 2015 - 06:05 PM, said:

Wait that Yellow King and Carcosa were mentioned in True Detective S1.

Also a Lovecraft ref, same source.

#35 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:00 AM

I have been reading it again and some of the "borrowed" elements niggled more this time. I know the series draws influence from the Wars of the Roses a lot, but some of the fleshed out Targaryen lineage comes across as lazy copying. Whichever king it was who goes slowly more nuts whilst working his way through six wives? Couldn't it have been five, or seven? I know it's a bit of a small whine in the grand scheme of things, but running with six feels really lazy.

Even so, it's a lovely book.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#36 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 October 2015 - 03:57 AM, said:

Lovecraft actually wrote it as a reference to THE KING IN YELLOW by Robert W. Chambers, and both TRUE DETECTIVE and GRRM were referencing the original. That was a coincidence, Carcosa is on the LANDS OF ICE AND FIRE maps released in 2012 whilst the first season of TRUE DETECTIVE aired in 2014.

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostWerthead, on 23 November 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 28 October 2015 - 03:57 AM, said:

Lovecraft actually wrote it as a reference to THE KING IN YELLOW by Robert W. Chambers, and both TRUE DETECTIVE and GRRM were referencing the original. That was a coincidence, Carcosa is on the LANDS OF ICE AND FIRE maps released in 2012 whilst the first season of TRUE DETECTIVE aired in 2014.

True - go far enough back and even Lovecraft was sourcing a bunch of earlier writers and sources (some of which were real humans!).

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users