Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

modelling an aptorian in zbrush

#1 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted here, and I wanted to make a new thread for this since it's more of an ongoing project than a place to dump all my sketches. Well, I say "ongoing project" but I'm only likely to be working on it for the next two weeks, since that's how long the assignment is running for.

Anyway, I'm modelling an aptorian in zbrush. Here's what I have so far after about 3 or 4 hours of work tonight. I also have some concept sketches but they haven't been scanned yet.
Posted Image

In my sketch thread I posted a few concepts for aptorians (namely this and this) but after looking up the description of them again, I'm not so sure about the tail. I'll also likely be scrapping the above and remaking it from scratch due to some proportion issues (hindlegs too big, head too small, want to model head with mouth open for easier modelling of teeth, etc.) Descriptions of Apt also had her as being very hairy, so I may experiment with hair placement and such if I have the time.

Oh yes, the hind feet are modelled in that way because I really liked the idea of having "hand-like feet" like the azalan do. Not sure if this is something I should keep.

This post has been edited by Toraneko: 14 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

~ toranekostudios.tumblr.com ~
Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all.

#2 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

I think you've already nailed the problems with the anatomy. So I'll leave you to it.
But I've been wanting to try zbrush, whats it like to work with, hard? easy?

Edit: I prefer the claw-like feet in your sketches, but that's just me. No evidence to back it up.

This post has been edited by Corporal Nobbs: 15 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#3 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostCorporal Nobbs, on 15 March 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

I think you've already nailed the problems with the anatomy. So I'll leave you to it.
But I've been wanting to try zbrush, whats it like to work with, hard? easy?

Edit: I prefer the claw-like feet in your sketches, but that's just me. No evidence to back it up.

Honestly yesterday was the only time I ever succeeded at doing anything in zbrush. The concept of "2.5d canvas" was a bit hard to grasp at first, and it's annoying that once you go into 2.5d mode you can't go back into 3d mode to edit the model again. There are also some tools in 2.5d mode I'd like to use in 3d mode... As someone used to other sculpting programs like Mudbox, it was pretty hard for me to wrap my head around zbrush, since its UI and keybinds take pretty much all the conventional ones and throw them out the window. If you're wanting to try it, I'd recommend watching some (if not all) of the introductory videos on zbrush's website, and looking up a few zbrush tutorials wouldn't hurt either. I used ones from cgtuts plus. Hope that helps. :wub:

Posted Image
Started from scratch today. according to my recorded video the bulk of it took 1.5 hours, I also did another 1 hour or so refining. Still not done, of course, I’ve been avoiding the feet for obvious reasons… For simplicity's sake I also removed the tail and am starting to prefer it this way now. I can't be sure now if the neck is too short or thin.
Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all.

#4 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

Some more progress shots of this model. I figured out how to add actual teeth, but I think I screwed up by adding it at the highest subdiv level… sigh. oh well live and learn

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

I got fed up of trying to work around the low poly teeth that I started from scratch and made the teeth on the proper subdiv level. Except some of the nice detail on the mouth is now lost, and I'll need to sharpen the details on the hands and other parts of her again.

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Done for now, but I may add more details to the body tomorrow, or make some pretty renders for it. http://kingslayin.tu...ost/45671888932

#7 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Made a rig quickly and did up a pose for a turntable. The rig may be gone in the coming weeks to make way for a better one, but I'm not sure yet.

Last post, I promise!

#8 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Don't know if you changed anything but it looks much better now. I like it balanced on its back legs, with the front leg tucked in.
Seems more... stable, I guess
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#9 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi all! Went back and did a little more tweaking and adding of stuff to make a final beauty render. Most of the effects were done in Photoshop, but I added the hair in Zbrush.

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:44 AM

This looks really good! Having attempted Z-Brush I really admire you're commitment to it!

Surprised you changed the original design you sketched in the forums though. For some reason
That will always be Apt in my head.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users