• You cannot reply to this topic

Hetan - Stepping down

#1 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Dear Malazites,

I'm stepping down as forum and site mistress but handing over the reins to Silencer.

There will also be a server move (and I can hear the groans already), but some of this has been going on behind the scenes for a while now so I am hoping that it won't be too traumatic, nor involve too much downtime, although downtime is a necessary evil when moving server. Remember - the temp site is your friend in times of trouble.

Silencer is moving it to a shared server which means that it will still keep running but with less costs - and I will leave it to him to post information and details of what is happening and when.

I hope my contribution over the years is considered to have been a good one - I know that some don't like the skin and have issues with the way things are run, but you guys have been absolutely brilliant. I'm going to stay on as an admin to help out as and when I'm needed (almost never) and of course, continue hosting the odd barbeque :wub: and I mean odd!

I'm going to lock this thread so that Silencer can post his thoughts and keep you updated as to what is happening without the thread getting spammed, so forgive me for that.

Love youse all ^_^

Hetan xx
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm going to shamelessly abuse my Hetan/Mal-granted admingod powers to override the lock long enough to say thank you Hetan.

Thank you for all your time and effort and patience and masichism in taking this forum on, keeping it going, and playing a massive role in making it what i and i know many others consider to be the finest, funnest, least irritating fan forum on the internet, AND giving us the bestest place to chat about our favourite author(s) and a pile of other stuff.

Personally, this forum is a huge part of why SE is my favorite author, a great distraction during boring work days, and my major source of contact with like-minded fans, and i'd be poorer without it.

- Abyss, ...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:08 AM

Well, I guess I'd like to start off by saying one very deep and heartfelt "Thank You". Those words don't really do it justice, but they will have to do (slipping in a better-suited foreign phrase would just seem tacky, even to me :)). Thank you, Hazel, and Bill, for the years of hard work you've put into this place. You picked it up in something of a state, and expended an unreasonable amount of time and money on it to get it to where it is today: one of the best fan-forums on the internet. You've definitely gone "above and beyond" what anyone could have expected of you, and living up to that is going to be, to say the least, bloody tough. If it wasn't for this place, I wouldn't have met dozens of excellent people, not least of which I count the both of you. You've done a brilliant job with this place, and the BBQs are epic. So, thank you! :wub:

To everyone else: with any luck, little will change in your experience of the forum. If anything, there should be less downtime, and faster recoveries if/when the site does crash. We will be conduct the move as soon as possible, exact dates will be announced once we've coordinated them with our new host, who is doing me a considerable personal favour in his offer to host us. As Hetan has said, you guys are (generally :p) excellent, and I'd like to hope that even though our home is changing, you lot won't change at all, despite my ascension to the pinnacle of this Benevolent Tyranny over the Scary Mob. :p

Obviously with the site moving to my ownership, so does the responsibility for meeting what costs we have. That is, things like the forum license, the domain registration, so on and so forth. While these costs should be down compared to what they were in the past, they are still not insignificant. The other admins and I will pull together to pay what is needed, but - with no pressure or obligations, though that shouldn't be needed to be said - we would like to remind everyone that there is 1) a paypal donate button on the front page and 2) purchases through the Amazon links give us a small cut. If possible, and you feel like it, please give back to the site through these methods, and help us fund its continued excellence. ^_^

Finally, I'd like to express my appreciation for the rest of the Admin team: Abyss(great feline overlord, Winner of Rep Wars small and large), Anomander, Bubba, Cougar, Grief, Imperial Historian, the oft-neglected IPB3account (don't discriminate just because he's not a real person), and RodeoRanch (the Pants-less).
Similarly, a huge thank-you to those forum members who do extra little bits and pieces around the place which would otherwise fall into our "to-do" pile (which is Of Doom, btw).
And of course, a huge thanks to 'Xae' - he's our new host and is facilitating the shift for us too. It's massively appreciated!

Hmmm...I think I might have overdone that a bit. Ah well. I'm the new King, I can do that. :p :)

P.S. The thread is now open for replies.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

Sooooooooooooo what's the new gif policy?

JK JK! I love you all with parts of my heart that were never meant for love. And I deify all mods/admins past present and future. Congratulations to everyone, some for gaining little humans, some for gaining message boards.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

@Hetan - thank you, love you.
@Silencer - thank you, love you too.

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

1. I, for one, welcome our new tyrannical overlord. I'd like to remind him that as a trusted forum personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in his underground sheep factories.

2. A huge thanks to Hetan and Mal for their dedication and patience with this project throughout the years! Especially if there were any times when you were like "let's ban D'rek" and then didn't, I liked that whole didn't thing, that was awesome, you guys are great.

3. So we've gone from Anomander, to Hetan - both showing their true Malazan passion by naming themselves off Malaz characters - to Silencer, a dread name with promises of divine retribution. These will be dark and tyrannical times, indeed.

4. Does this mean new books will come out in NZ first now?

This post has been edited by D'rek: 14 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hetan and Malaclypse, you guys did, are doing and will do a ton for this forum. It's going to be repeated quite often over the next few days, but the appreciation is constant and embiggened.

And yes, thanks for reminding me that there is an Amazon link that I should be using much more than I currently am.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

The amazon link takes you to Steven Erikson stuff, but can you purchase anything and still contribute (if you go to what you want immediately ie don't close browser or anything)?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

View Postworrywort, on 14 March 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

The amazon link takes you to Steven Erikson stuff, but can you purchase anything and still contribute (if you go to what you want immediately ie don't close browser or anything)?

As far as I'm aware, that is indeed how it works. :wub:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#10 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostSilencer, on 14 March 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 14 March 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

As far as I'm aware, that is indeed how it works. :wub:

I completely forgot about the Amazon link. I need to buy ebook versions of MBotF anyway. ^_^
*Men's Frights Activist*

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

Addendum to my previous answer - I'm speaking specifically about the one for Amazon UK on the *forum* front page. The Paypal donate thingy is on the website front page, which is different, and I'm not 100% about the links *there* (below the Paypal) as being donation-worthy. Will look into this, btw...

ETA: Nope, far as I can find they do still work. Disregard the above. XD

Shinrei said:

#12 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hetan, thank you for all that you have done.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

I thought this thread was supposed to be locked.
But anyway I'm gonna pitch in as lay down my thanks to Mal and Hetan as well.

Thanks so much for all the work. time. money, effort, etc over the years, whilst it may seem we're an unappreciative bunch, we're not, well I'm not anyway, I really respect you guys for running this place and putting up with the headaches it must cause.

#14 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Many, many thanks to Hetan and Mal for all of their contributions, seen and unseen - they have been total stars. And many thanks to Silencer for taking up the challenge of dealing with such a undemanding bunch of individuals in his new role....

#15 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'm looking forward to getting banned ASAP ^_^

Speaking of which, can someone remove my admin/mod status? I can't seem to do it in the admin cp - thanks.

Cheers all, try not to be douchebags :wub:

#16 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 14 March 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Speaking of which, can someone remove my admin/mod status? I can't seem to do it in the admin cp - thanks.

Done. Though Hetan can always power you back up, lol. (You can't remove your own administrator status because then it would lock you out of the ACP, which is what you're using to change your status, btw.)

Shinrei said:

#17 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostSilencer, on 14 March 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Done. Though Hetan can always power you back up, lol. (You can't remove your own administrator status because then it would lock you out of the ACP, which is what you're using to change your status, btw.)

I read this and quickly looked back at Mal's post because when I read 'Done.' my first thought was that you'd banned him O.o

Would have been kinda funny though. And so the tyrannical reign of Silencer I begins...
*Men's Frights Activist*

#18 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostOrnery Owl, on 14 March 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 14 March 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

I read this and quickly looked back at Mal's post because when I read 'Done.' my first thought was that you'd banned him O.o

Would have been kinda funny though. And so the tyrannical reign of Silencer I begins...

Tempting, but then I'd have to ban Hetan too, else she'd just un-ban him. And thereby we start with the Purges, rather than progressing to them, and that would be bad. :)

XD

Shinrei said:

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

The floggings will continue until morale improves.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for making this a great place to hang out guys :wub: A round of applause for Hetan and Mal!
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users