• You cannot reply to this topic

Greymane Advice? Critiques welcome.

#1 User is offline   GenKael 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Nerd books, drawing, damsels, grog

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hey guys. I posted my pic of Greymane in the gallery because I'm new and stupid. I should have posted here to get some advice first. There's some great artists on here. My first go was too dark. I wanted his eyes to pop. Then I realized the background interfered too much and nothing really stood out. So I blurred it out a bit and gave him a few more highlights. Any other suggestions you guys can think of? Is my interpretation in line with yours?

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

hmm, I think (personally) the main point about greymane is that he doesn't look like an all powerful ascendant type, so for me the eyes glowing don't really work
but apart from that I think he needs to be perhaps a bit more rough looking, like attire and armour hacked up and worn, hair a bit more tatty and unkempot.

Still I like it, I think its the first attempt I've seen of Greymane on here and its not to far off my mental picture

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Macros is right, but all in all it's a great attempt IMO. Also, isn't it Greymane who's usually described as wider than most humans? So while I'm not sure you can change what you have, I always pictured him as a much burlier version of that.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hey, for me its great. Yeah, the eyes are too much glowing, but otherwise...maybe just shorter hair in my version :)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#5 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Its good but I think he needs to pop more. The wall behind him seems like it has more detail and is so much brighter that it becomes the main focus. If you could lighten him up, give more colours and some highlights and definitions it would be a lot better in my opinion.
No Touchy.

#6 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Or you could lose that photo of a wall altogether and actually draw it, the difference is detail between fore- and background is so dominant that it Greymane fades into it. The emphasis of more defined lights and shadows that are currently on the wall, even though the wall is an important feature, should be on Greymane. That'd also make him look less like a paper cutout. A light source might be of help as well.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

That wall looks exactly like my wall.

#8 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

worrywort, on 16 February 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

Macros is right, but all in all it's a great attempt IMO. Also, isn't it Greymane who's usually described as wider than most humans? So while I'm not sure you can change what you have, I always pictured him as a much burlier version of that.

In ROTCG Kyle says something about how much more impressive Greymane is without his armour on, so I 'm thinking he's pretty buff. I really like this picture, I don't think the eyes are bad, just a bit of fantasy effect :p just maybe make him a bit broader in the shoulder and Trapezium muscles and perfect... oh and I always imagined his world destroying sword as being freaking massive :p

oh and it's Urko Crust who's described as being MASSIVE for a human by Karsa in House of Chains :) Another great character who's had very little art time sadly :) Would love to see a pic of him punching Karsa out :p

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm fairly certain Kyle describes Greymane several times as "half again as wide" as anyone he'd ever seen before.

#10 User is offline   Acorn 

• Sergeant
  • SHHH!!

The walls have feet.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

From RotCG:

"Close by a massive broad-shouldered man was speaking in low tones with Sergeant Trench. Now he turned Kyle's way. With a catsh of breath, Kyle recognized the flattened nose, - the heavy mouth, the deeply set grey-blue eyes...."

Further on "Thick trunk-like legs... long grey hair.."

There is more farther on.. And more in the next one Stonewielder.

Regardless - Greymane is a big hulking heavy armed, shouldered, legged and chested man... And I don't recall him having a beard like Odin =p.

His eyes need to be less green too - they appear very sea-green with the background coloring being so dark blue. Blue-Grey is always how they're described.

I love the picture, just need to make the man there bulky... Right now he just looks like a purple "Viking" elder... Don't get me wrong, it's awesome - just doesn't invoke Greymane much as he's described.

I can hunt down more descriptions if you like. It's pretty easy on the Kindle Fire.

#11 User is offline   GenKael 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Making some changes. I was going for the end of Stoneweilder, when (SEMI-SPOILER) Greymane is described as having been tired and worn out from all the stress of the march without supplies. I thought it said something about him having grown a beard and his hair looking less like iron and more white.

#12 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Well, I think it's fucking amazing. I love the eyes. I love the hair. I love his current build. It may be a bit off as per the book description in a few areas, but I say splendid job.
But then again, I am biased. Because I absolutely love it when we get to see any of the malazan greats in paint, pencil, or any other medium.

Thank you for your time creating and for sharing with us.
I give it a 10. Thank you, again.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 18 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#13 User is offline   GenKael 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Changed it to the middle of the night. Added some a rim light. Faded the background.

Gonna put up my Kallor and Ganoes soon.

Attached File(s)

#14 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Definitely helps bringing him into the focus more, the eyes don't grab me as much now as well, little changes made a big difference here

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users