Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deadhouse Gates Audiobook

#1 User is offline   Spitn 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I just got it in the mail today. I'm excited to reenter the Malazan work again, and this time with the help of great reader Ralph Lister. Is anyone else going to listen to all the books as they come out this year and next? As a big audiobook fan I'm thrilled.

#2 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Wow, I see the new audiobooks are reasonably priced too. Good riddance to the $40 price gouging. Anybody know what the (practical) difference is between "audio CDs" and "MP3 CDs"?
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

I think it just means that the MP3 CD's files are already mp3 format so if you rip the cd you don't have to convert to mp3...makes it easier to put on mp3 players. Regular audio CDs won't have compressed files, mp3 or otherwise. It just removes a conversion software middleman.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Oh and of course since mp3s are compressed, that means you can fit the whole book on fewer discs.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   lastname 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

You ask about practical differences. So here's one potential implication of getting the mp3 cd. Your car music player might not play the mp3 cd, although most newer models should be fine. Look for the mp3 logo on your music player (car, boombox, whatever). My car audio player has the logo but it's still quite finicky. It refuses to play anything burned in UDF format, for example.

Any professionally encoded mp3 CD should have decent audio quality. Personally, I can't tell the difference between a 128 kbps LAME encoded mp3 and an audio CD but then I'm no audiophile.

#6 User is offline   Tristan Jay 

• Recruit

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

I'm looking forward to it, as the listen through for GotM has been a very enjoyable experience. Everytime I get into my car, it's Malazan story-time. Makes the drive to and from work an experience I look forward to, can't beat that! I will probably wait for Barnes and Noble to have Deadhouse Gates available (in about a month, as I understand it), so I can use a gift card to purchase it.

Insofar as following the series on audio, without trying to bite off more than I can chew I do plan to get them as they come out. Much like I ended up doing with the Harry Potter books, I will read the actual book, but then get the audiobook for the repeat experience. I prefer to listen to books I've already read and know I really like. This is a good motivator for stepping up the reading schedule of the actual books; so I plan on reading Memories of Ice in a couple of months, in an effort to try and keep up with the audiobook release schedule. I have a tentative ambition to follow this plan of reading the book, then getting the audio at least up to Midnight Tide (like I said, it a tentative plan, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew).

#7 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Ok, thanks. All of my current audiobooks are still on cassette tape (purchased secondhand), because 1) I was too cheap to shell out 40 bucks a pop for CDs, 2) CDs didn't exist when I started buying audiobooks way back when, and 3) I'm not about to upgrade my car audio player when the car itself will need to be upgraded soon enough. But if the new $11 price tag is a trend, it may just lure me out of my 80s time warp.

Many cheap audiobooks stored on an Ipod...the future sounds nice. I'll catch up with you guys in a few years. But by then, you'll probably be having it beamed directly into your brains.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#8 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

So I just finished my very first experience with an audio book, DG. I had been trying to do my first reread of the series, including ICE's books this time, but for months now I haven't been able to find/make the time to read. My commute to and from work is about 10 hours a week, though, so I decided it was time to try the audio versions. It took some getting used to but I enjoyed the experience. However, I have to believe that a first time "experiencer" of this series would lose A LOT of info that reading the book can deliver. This series requires the fullest of attention just to catch MOST things that are going on. And the Dramatis Personae section at the back of every book is an invaluable resource for the first time reader trying to keep characters, ascendants and gods clear in their mind. I'm curious if anyone has every done the audio versions first and then read the books later?

I'm about to turn someone on to this series who does audio books during his commute, as well, but I'm a little concerned that the fullest experience of these books, particularly, isn't really possible in the audio version. I could loan him my books along the way for the maps and Dramatis Personae section. And I will definitely be recommending this site, as well, which is also a HUGE resource for the reader, especially the first timer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

On to Memories of Ice!!!

#9 User is offline   josephturner876 

• Recruit

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

This was my first ever audio book experience.I found it a bit wierd at first but later on ended up liking this whole new experience.

Formation Casablanca

#10 User is offline   Thoth11 

• Recruit

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

Just listening to this now. It's not bad. Haven't read the books, but listening to the first book, and now this one while driving back and forth to work makes the trip even better!

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

View PostThoth11, on 18 January 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

Just listening to this now. It's not bad. Haven't read the books, but listening to the first book, and now this one while driving back and forth to work makes the trip even better!

Do you find you have to back up the story to relisten to parts often?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   Thoth11 

• Recruit

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 January 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Every once in a while, yeah, when it is a complicated scene or I drift off...heh.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

View PostThoth11, on 18 January 2018 - 06:40 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 18 January 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Every once in a while, yeah, when it is a complicated scene or I drift off...heh.

Yeah I've shifted to earbooks in a big way lately and some 'dense' fantasy books are a little harder to enjoy in that format (not that that stops me).
DG is just one of those books that i expect would prompt a fair amount of 'wait wtf did i just hear!?!?'.
And of course when you're driving it's harder to pause/rewind/relisten without, y'know, dying a lot. :)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users