Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Great Hunt - does it get better?

#1 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

Hey guys. I'm about 150 pages into The Great Hunt and it's really not sparking my interest at all so far. I heard that this is the book where the story starts getting really good, so I'm wondering if I should expect it to get much better?

#2 User is offline   Wol 

• Recruit

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yeah if you don't like that one, get ready for a very long wait until it gets better. Off the top of my head Shadow Rising, the last bit of Lord of Chaos and Winter's Heart were the only ones I enjoyed until Sanderson took up writing them.
They're worth reading for what they are, but I never found them to be consistently amazing at any point for the majority of the narrative.

#3 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Interesting that you're stalling out at GREAT HUNT. Perhaps you just aren't in the mood for it, and should go read something else for a while.

I recall really enjoying it, tho it's been a LONG time since I read it.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#4 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostBriar King, on 06 February 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

Well I think its fair to say(atleast in my reading circle) that most find it the best overall bk in the series. Its my personal fav. Hang in there! I think youll enjoy it.

From my experience on the internet The Shadow Rising seems to be the most popular.

Anyway TGH does have a slow start but a fantastic ending. I'd say give it a little bit more time.

#5 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I think I'm just going to pass on the series. It seems like there's a lot of stuff worth skipping or skimming over, and I'm assuming it's probably like that for most books in such a long series.. not really worth it considering there's lots of other great stuff out there.

Started reading Watchmen last night and it's amazing from the start.

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Am I the only one who feels that THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is actually the high water mark for the entire series?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Am I the only one who feels that THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is actually the high water mark for the entire series?

Yes. Yes you are.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

High-water pre- or post-Sanderson?

For me, TFOH and LORD OF CHAOS are closely tied. Both had good endings, with me giving the slight edge to LORD OF CHAOS.

However, in terms of consistent awesomeness throughout the book, I would argue THE SHADOW RISING was actually the high-water mark pre-Sanderson.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#9 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Nah that's my favorite too. I was just talking about the fanbase as a whole when I said TSR is the most popular.

#10 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 06 February 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

Nah that's my favorite too. I was just talking about the fanbase as a whole when I said TSR is the most popular.

Is it because Nynaeve FINALLY remembered where the Aes Sedai camp was? Or because BAND OF THE RED HAND IS FUCKING AMAZING?
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users