Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher

#1 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

This was a real fun debut that I just finsihed up. Any one esle read it yet?
Excerpt from my review below.

Golgotha is town where odd things happen - and usually people die as a result. The sheriff is rumored to be immortal, bears the scars of multiple hangings, and keeps a supply of silver bullets handy. His deputy is the son of a coyote trickster, the local tinkerer reads Mary Shelley way too literally, the local land baron has been around a long time, mysterious things happen over in Chinatown and a new kid stumbles into town, hiding from a wanted poster and carrying the eye of his dead father.

In The Six-Gun Tarot, Belcher seemingly throws everything he can think of into the mix, and it somehow works. On one hand this is standard western with a mysterious kid coming to an even more mysterious town. One another hand it's tale of religious fervor and the end of the world with a bit of Lilith mythos thrown in for good measure. On yet another tentacle, it's the horror of zombies and a Cthulhu-like mythos that includes Mormons, the Chinese and even a Fallen angel or two. It's the battleground between creation and the void. It's been likened to steampunk, weird westerns and "Buffy meets Deadwood" - and as cringing as the last one sounds, it sort of fits in a good way.

By the end of The Six-Gun Tarot, the pacing issues and point of view confusion were forgotten. I was completely immersed in the story and I couldn't not put the book aside. I loved the crazy, anything can happen in this town vibe. I love the way people banded together, often in spite of very real differences. I love the history of the town that we only see hints of. The fact that I stayed up late to finish is one of the biggest complements I can give a book - I'm nearly always sleep deprived and when I put a book before needed sleep it's saying something. Belcher’s debut surprised me in just how much I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next out of Golgotha - but I'll be honest, I hope it's not too wrapped up in the Frankenstein hints that populate the novel.

Full Review

This post has been edited by kcf: 26 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

#2 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Looks good! I put in on my to-buy list :)
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users