• You cannot reply to this topic

All consuming books

#41 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

for those asking about speed reading, some generic tips:

http://www.wikihow.c...n-Speed-Reading

speaking personally - speed reader already. blessing and a curse. Imagine buying a hardback book (14-20 pounds depending on book size, etc)

Then imagine reading the whole damn thing in a 2-3 hours. When its a good book - no problem, re-read at some point. When its average or poor - "Shit, what a waste of cash. Could have read that in the shop"

And on topic - Dresdencrack.
meh. Link was dead :(

#42 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:15 AM

View PostCocoreturns, on 22 August 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

for those asking about speed reading, some generic tips:

http://www.wikihow.c...n-Speed-Reading

speaking personally - speed reader already. blessing and a curse. Imagine buying a hardback book (14-20 pounds depending on book size, etc)

Then imagine reading the whole damn thing in a 2-3 hours. When its a good book - no problem, re-read at some point. When its average or poor - "Shit, what a waste of cash. Could have read that in the shop"

And on topic - Dresdencrack.

That page seemed to assume for some reason that speed reading equates lack of comprehension. If this was true, I would have gone through life understanding nothing.

I kind of became a speedreader unconsciously. I read dozens and hundreds of books, all of which were fiction, all of which I really liked and somewhere in the middle it sort of happened

#43 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

It's like bragging about listening to the Ring cycle on fast-forward. I guess you can say you listened to it, but did you get anything out of it?
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#44 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 23 August 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

It's like bragging about listening to the Ring cycle on fast-forward. I guess you can say you listened to it, but did you get anything out of it?

Actually I do get things out of it. I know lots of people like to take things slow, and savour the read, but for me the first read, if its a book that I like is always breakneck fast. I have been reading like this ever since I can remember. It does sound like bragging I guess but this is something I have been doing ever since I was little and had to race through my books before my parents dragged me off to do homework.

Don't know about the experience of an audiobook though. i have never used an audiobook and I prefer reading to listening anyday.

#45 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

I read every word and skim nothing. Here are some of my more impressive feats:

Wheel of Time 13, 3 days, 362 pages per day
Hunger Games 1-3 re-read, 3 days 336 pages per day
Wheel of Time 12, 3 days, 329 pages per day
Wheel of Time 14, 5 days, 240 pages per day
The Stormlight Archives 2, 6 days, 222 pages per day
Wheel of Time 11, 5 days, 209 pages per day

That's a complete list of all the books I've ever read with an average reading speed of over 200 pages per day (Wheel of Time 9 just misses the mark with 199 p/d). Harry Potter 7 might be worth mentioning as I was only 11 back when I read it and hadn't read much English before it (I'd read HP6 twice, HP2 and HP5 and nothing else).

Harry Potter 7, 4 days, 165 pages per day

And my most impressive feat of all (Not necessarily for the speed but for how long I kept it up):

Wheel of Time 1-14 + New Spring, 79 days, 186 pages per day

And I would consider all of those as all consuming. I'm reading Wars of Light and Shadow 2 at the moment and it is far from all consuming, which can be seen in the pace I'm reading it at (Around 20 pages a day)

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 08 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

#46 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

Depending on the book, some are harder to zoom through than others, I can read at approx 200 pages an hour. Which gets kind of irritating, as Coco indicated, when you drop 20 quid on a new hardback (for some reason I always manage this with Alastair Reynolds) and are done with it in 2 to 3 hours.

I read 3500 pages in a weekend one time (one of the books was DHG, and I really had nothing else to do). My head was a bit of a mess afterwards (too much shoved into it at high speed, I expect), it was expensive but it was also fun while it lasted. An ex of mine once lent me a 60 page novella and I was done with it by the time I got off the bus at my house, 30 mins later - she was a bit peeved by that.

As far as learning to speed read goes. I've been reading for pleasure pretty constantly for the last 40 years, and early on I learned the knack (which comes back to bite me fairly regularly) of ignoring pretty much anything going on around me whilst reading. These days I don't even have to think about reading quickly, it just happens on its own.

To read quickly you have to be sucked in by the book, I feel. That doesn't necessarily mean the book has to be a good one (it helps, of course), it just has to grab your attention.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 22 June 2017 - 08:47 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#47 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:32 AM

I think my last one like that was the 1st expanse book. I read that in one day (though I was up until like 3 AM) till I finished it.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#48 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:43 AM

The latest Peter Grant book, LIES SLEEPING, hit that level for me.That’s at least in part bcs it’s bk 7 and the investment is paying off, but even so.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#49 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

Ada Palmer's Terra Ignota hit that level for me, they're almost hypnotic.

Also recently A Winter's Promise, first in the Mirror Visitor, came pretty close.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users