• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All consuming books

#21 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Few have tried, and even fewer have managed not to get bored halfway through. Thus I reign.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#22 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postworrywort, on 05 February 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Few have tried, and even fewer have managed not to get bored halfway through. Thus I reign.

You must not know who I am. Assail by day, Fluffy Princess Pony by night.

Game on.
I still heart Goodkind.

#23 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I read at a fairly medium pace and take in a lot of detail whereas my fiancee is able to speed through pretty thick tomes when she wants to (for one Christmas, I got her both Murakami's Norwegian Wood and his Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and she read both of them in about a day and a half). I have topped 200 pages in a day several times, but I think the only book of that sort of length I've read in a day is Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#24 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostD, on 05 February 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

I read at a fairly medium pace

can't not post in response to key phrase

(not safe for work, or people with taste)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#25 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Ah, I too remember the halcyon days when Adam Sandler was funny.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#26 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Day. The day when he was funny. Let's be fair here.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#27 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 February 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Thats about the most Ive done in a day, and I only do that with New Star Wars EU books the day they come out. They are usually only 330-430pgs so 2-3 days and Im done and waiting the nest 4mths for next one.

Four months? I WISH they were that infrequent. I'm 6-7 years behind (just about ready to start Outbound Flight). It seems like they were publishing multiple titles per month at one point. That's the one thing I'm dreading about the new movies - the inevitable flood of tie-ins. I suspect there will soon come a day when I just throw my hands up into the air and give up on trying to keep up with Star Wars.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostKruppe, on 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

... I suspect there will soon come a day when I just throw my hands up into the air and give up on trying to keep up with Star Wars.

Yes, that's right, give in to your hate, strike them down with all your anger and your journey to the dark side will be complete...

Posted Image
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I like to keep up with the EU comics. The art's almost always great, which makes up for the almost always mediocre stories. The EU novels are mostly mediocre with no art. Comics ftw.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hmmm. I've only read 3 books in one day (24hrs).

HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS

THE DA VINCI CODE

THE STORIES OF IBIS

In all of those cases it took me nearly the full 24 hours to do it. I read fast, but nowhere NEAR that fast.

If someone asked me to read a 900-page hardcover book in 4 hours...I dunno man, I don't even know if that's possible. At least not properly read it anyways. Even skipping to action and dialogue.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#31 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

You people are lightweights. My record is ~ 2500 pages during a 7 hour period when I was stuck somewhere with nothing else to do. Granted, several of the books bored me, so I ended up reading them quickly. For stuff that I'm interested in and want to read with near-complete understanding, a more realistic speed for me would be 2-3 pages per minute.

When you read silently in your head, it's not necessary to read as slowly as you would if you were reading the book aloud. Once you get past that mental block, it's actually pretty easy to read quickly without hindering your comprehension.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#32 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostKruppe, on 06 February 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

You people are lightweights. My record is ~ 2500 pages during a 7 hour period when I was stuck somewhere with nothing else to do. Granted, several of the books bored me, so I ended up reading them quickly. For stuff that I'm interested in and want to read with near-complete understanding, a more realistic speed for me would be 2-3 pages per minute.

When you read silently in your head, it's not necessary to read as slowly as you would if you were reading the book aloud. Once you get past that mental block, it's actually pretty easy to read quickly without hindering your comprehension.

That's intense. I'm not going to naysay, because there's plenty of shit out there that blows my mind like that. I can agree on what you said as far as reading goes though. I've never really considered my comprehension level after reading as fast as I can.
I still heart Goodkind.

#33 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostAssail, on 06 February 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

That's what I've heard. It's just a matter of training yourself not to "read aloud in your head". Though I do wonder if you lose something of the language that way.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#34 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

I did A STORM OF SWORDS in one night and the following day, continuously, stopping only to call in sick to work. Can't remember exactly how long it took...18-20 hrs total?

I think I did SWORD OF SHANNARA in one day, like 12 hrs iirc.

There's been 1-2 others I've done in a day. Can't remember what now. One of the Black Company books maybe?

Even if I had the time to try it now, I no longer have the eye strength or ability to go without sleep.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#35 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:56 AM

Assail. Went through it in two sittings ignoring everything else. Since I read fast my books dont really consume my life as they are finished before they can do much. But if I am reading a series then its a different kettle of fish totally.

#36 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 February 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

View PostAssail, on 06 February 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

That's what I've heard. It's just a matter of training yourself not to "read aloud in your head". Though I do wonder if you lose something of the language that way.

That mental block really is the big thing that prevents most people from speed reading. From what I understand the average deaf person reads far faster than those who can hear do, entirely because of this (not that I would make that trade off).

As far as speed reading, I never thought I was a fast reader but after seeing some of the comments in this thread I guess I could be called one. I don't think I've read a Dresdencrack book in more than one day, while reading everything except the descriptions that were repeated in all the early books (Mac's bar and how it is designed for example). Something like 60-100 pages per hour seems reasonable to me depending on the density of the prose.

#37 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostKruppe, on 06 February 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

For me it's a sign that I really have a foreign language when I got past that stage.

#38 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

For me, Words of Radiance was an all consuming book. It came out during my busiest time of the year and I tried to read it at any chance I could get. I would wake up at 5:00 AM to get some reading time in before work. One of my all time favorite books, up there with Memories of Ice.

There are two other all consuming books I've read this year. One was part of Bakker's Second Apocalypse series. The other was Heroes Fucking Die.

#39 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

Now that I think about it, Judas Unchained probably qualifies as an all-consuming book. I read the last 70% at a stretch. no breaks, in a few hours, with (for some bizarre reason that I can't recall) Nirvana playing in the background. When I was done, I was so buzzed, so out of it basically, that I just wandered around in a semi-trance and grunted when people asked me stuff.

#40 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

View PostLord Gator, on 22 August 2014 - 06:19 PM, said:

So how is someone supposed to break this mental block? When I read I say the words in my head like I'm reading out loud.

And if you manage to get past the block, is the beauty of language (depending on the author, of course) reduced? Do alliteration, meter, and other tools of the artist lose their power when you stop "hearing" the words in your head, and start seeing them as pure symbols?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users