Malazan Empire: Abyss Just Finished A Memory of Light... - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abyss Just Finished A Memory of Light... ... sort of... can we call it a memory of finishing it...?

#21 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Knotai = No tie = Lack of formal wear
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostCause, on 29 January 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

This! Dear God This! The DR may be 22 or something (Its hard to nail down for me at least if the fourteen books cover a few years or just one) but that means the Amyrlin is still one year younger than him. When she thinks of him as the 'boy' and 'sheepherder' I knew she had left reality behind. I think that's part of the problem with the books actually. In hindsight we see little character growth among the two rivers cast over fourteen books. They change but never acknowledge that the others change too. Her first though upon seeing Mat is to save him. If only they had talked to each other occasionally.

Worst of all the Egwene of MoL is in direct contrast and opposition with the Egwene of KoD who bitch slaps Elaida with her mind while discussing how the DR should be treated.

This is very true. I agree totally.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

View PostAbyss, on 28 January 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

BEST DID THAT JUST HAPPEN - Perrin snapping Lanfear's neck. That was almost... creepy.

I could comment on a lot of stuff, but I'll keep it down to this:

TGH, Blood Calls Blood said:

Daughter of the Night, she walks again.
The ancient war, she yet fights.
Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die,
yet serve still.
Who shall stand against her coming?
The Shining Walls shall kneel.
Blood feeds blood.
Blood calls blood.
Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
The man who channels stands alone.
He gives his friends for sacrifice.
Two roads before him, one to death beyond dying,
one to life eternal.
Which will he choose? Which will he choose?
What hand shelters? What hand slays?
Blood feeds blood.
Blood calls blood.
Luc came to the Mountains of Dhoom.
Isam waited in the high passes.
The hunt is now begun. The Shadow's hounds now
course, and kill.
One did live, and one did die, but both are.
The Time of Change has come.
Blood feeds blood.
Blood calls blood.
The Watchers wait on Toman's Head.
The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree.
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great
Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great
Lord comes.
Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great
Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood.
Blood calls blood.

Just wanted to point out that one bit, since we've been trying to figure it out for years. There was actually a lot of foreshadowing for it in TDR.

TDR 4 said:

"You don't know the half of what you are. Of what you can be. Come, share a cup with me, to destiny and glory." There was a shining silver cup in her hand, filled with blood-red wine. "Drink."

He stared at the cup, frowning. There was something... familiar about it. A growling chewed at his brain. "No!" He fought away from it, refusing to listen. "No!"

She held out the golden cup to him. "Drink."

Golden? I thought the cup was... It was... The rest of the thought would not come. But in his confusion the sound came again, inside, gnawing, demanding to be heard. "No," he said. "No!" He looked at the golden helmet in his hands and threw it aside. "I am a blacksmith. I am..." The sound within his head fought him, struggling toward being heard. He wrapped his arms around his head to shut it out, and only shut it in. "I – am – a – man!" he shouted.

Darkness enfolded him, but her voice followed, whispering. "The night is always there, and dreams come to all men. Especially you, my wildling. And I will always be in your dreams."

Apparently being a blacksmith and a man was not enough. :D A few chapters later, he meets Faile.

AMOL 49 said:

"I will count to three," Lanfear said, not looking at him.

My duty, Perrin thought, is to do the things Rand cannot.

This was the wolf dream. In the wolf dream, what he felt became reality.

"One," Lanfear said.

He loved Faile.

"Two."

He loved Faile.

"Three."

He loved Faile. The Compulsion vanished like smoke in the wind, thrown off like clothing changed in the blink of an eye. Before Lanfear could strike, Perrin reached out and took her by the neck.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Sometimes Terez, your WoT quote fu blows my mind.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Since you seem to enjoy it, you might like this one (not whoring for rep; I also enjoy this):

TPOD said:

Egwene sniffed. Luckily, whatever the Hall voted, none of the proposals could be carried forward without a decree from her. Even in her straitened circumstances, she had a little power. Very little, but that was more than none. "Is the Hall always this bad, Siuan?"

Siuan nodded, shifting slightly to try to find a better balance. No two of her stool's legs were the same length. "But it could be worse. Remind me to tell you about the Year of the Four Amyrlins; that was about a hundred and fifty years after the founding of Tar Valon. In those days, the normal workings of the Tower nearly rivaled what's happening today. Every hand tried to snatch the tiller, if they could. There were actually two rival Halls of the Tower in Tar Valon for part of that year. Almost like now. Just about everyone came to grief in the end, including a few who thought they were going to save the Tower. Some of them might have, if they hadn't stepped in quicksand. The Tower survived anyway, of course. It always does."

From the time Siuan was deposed to the time Elaida was captured and Egwene was acknowledged as Amyrlin in the Tower, it was a little less than a year. By the time Cadsuane rolls around, it's a little more than a year. But it's close enough. :veryangry:

Might post more later. Brandon straight up stole several things from the RJ books, and I'm wondering if you guys noticed any of them.

This post has been edited by Terez: 31 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

There it is.

#26 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

Probably not. Lanfear implied that she wanted to win him on her own merits, but she didn't have time. Berelain might have been under Compulsion, though, just to see how Perrin would react to the distraction of a beautiful woman. Berelain's introduction to the story was her delivering Lanfear's message to Moiraine.

TDR said:

"I am not used to being given messages to carry," she announced, flourishing a folded parchment in one slim hand.

"And who are you, child?" Moiraine asked.

The young woman drew herself up even more, which Mat would have thought was impossible. "I am Berelain, First of Mayene." She tossed the parchment down on the table in front of Moiraine with a haughty gesture and turned back to the door.

"A moment, child," Moiraine said, unfolding the parchment. "Who gave this to you? And why did you bring it, if you are so unused to carrying messages?"

"I... do not know." Berelain stood facing the door; she sounded puzzled. "She was... impressive." She gave herself a shake and seemed to recover her opinion of herself.

There it is.

#27 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Amazing! Keep them coming. I enjoy them all.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#28 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

AMOL said:

"Just win this battle! I have bet a skin of oosquai upon our success."

Mat snorted. The only thing more discomforting than a stoic Aiel was a grinning one. Bet? On the outcome of this battle? What kind of bet was that? If they lost, nobody would live long enough to collect . . .

Mat frowned. Actually, that was a pretty good bet to be making. "Who did you find to take that bet?" Mat called. "Urien?" But the man was already too far away to hear.

TFOH said:

Edorion drew a deep breath, puffing his pink cheeks, and let it out slowly. "I suppose if I made it out in one piece, I can make it back in. My Lord Dragon, forgive me if I offend, but would you care to wager, say, a thousand gold crowns, that you can really come in seven days?"

Rand stared at him. The man was as bad as Mat. "I don't have a hundred crowns silver, much less a thousand in—"

Sulin broke in. "He has it, Tairen," she said firmly. "He will meet your wager, if you make it ten thousand by weight."

Edorion laughed. "Done, Aiel. And worth every copper if I lose. Come to think, I'll not live to collect if I win. Come, Meresin, Daricain." It sounded as if he were summoning dogs to heel. "We ride."

This was just before the Battle of Cairhien. Edorion volunteered to ride back to the city and let them know help was on the way. He ended up fighting with Mat after the battle (when Mat was fighting Hanlon and the White Lions), and he became an officer in the Band.

Another one (first quote from two different places in the book):

AMOL said:

"If so," Lan said, "we stand atop the high ground, and we fight until we die, Ghealdanin. You surrender when you're dead. Many a man has been given less."...

...Despite Lan's initial offensive, Demandred was the better swordsman. Lan knew this by the same sense that told him when to strike, when to parry, when to step and when to withdraw.

New Spring said:

"You are a cool one, Aes Sedai," Lan said flatly.

"As cool as I must be," she told him. Diryk's scream rang in her ears. Iselle's face dwindled below her. As in the test for the shawl, all her calm was outward show, but she clung to it tightly. Let go for an instant, and she would be on her knees weeping. Howling with grief. "It seems Ryne was wrong as well as a Darkfriend. You were better than he."

Lan shook his head slightly. "He was better. But he thought I was finished, with only one arm. He never understood. You surrender after you're dead."

Moiraine nodded. Surrender after you are dead. Yes.

And one more:

AMOL said:

"You know how to make a fellow feel loved. Well, I know how you feel about me."

"And how is that?"

"You looked over your shoulder."

She shook her head. "I had forgotten that you are supremely good at saying that which has no meaning, Matrim."

"When you saw me," Mat explained, "with a dagger in hand—as if to throw at you—you didn't call for your guards. You didn't fear I was here to kill you. You looked over your shoulder to see what I was aiming at. That's the most loving gesture I think a man could receive from a woman. Unless you'd like to sit on my knee for a little while . . ."

TFOH said:

Aviendha shook herself as the crooning ended, stared at the last particles as they vanished, and turned to Rand, gathering the blanket closer. Her hand came up, and a stream of fire as thick as his head roared toward him.

Startled even inside the emptiness, never thinking of the Power, he threw himself to the ground beneath the billowing flames. They died in an instant.

"What are you doing?" he barked, so angry, so shocked, that the Void cracked and saidin vanished from him. He scrambled to his feet, stalking toward her. "This tops any ingratitude I ever heard of!" He was going to shake her until her teeth rattled. "I just saved your life, in case you failed to notice, and if I offended some bloody Aiel custom, I don't give a—!"

"The next time," she snapped back, "I will leave the great Car'a'carn to deal with matters by himself!" Awkwardly clutching the blanket close, she ducked stiff-backed into the tent.

For the first time, he looked behind him. At another Draghkar, crumpled on the ground in flames. He had been so angry that he had not heard the crackling and popping as it burned, had not smelled the odor of burning grease. He had not even sensed the evil of it.

This post has been edited by Terez: 31 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

There it is.

#29 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Sometimes I think the Uber-fans have a clearer view of the books than either of the authors ever did. I think you guys see things that were never meant to be but should have been.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users