Malazan Empire: Abyss Just Finished A Memory of Light... - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abyss Just Finished A Memory of Light... ... sort of... can we call it a memory of finishing it...?

#1 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

I wasn't going to do this but i'm enjoying the book too much not to post some reactions as i read... i've been reading this series for nearly half my life and i underestimated the level of 'holy fuck' i'd get roughly every five pages or so...

so...

SPOILERS BELOW SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS FOR AMOL AND ALL THINGS WOT

If you post, please no spoilers for past the point i'm at. there are other lovely threads for that already rolling.
I'll move the thread to the discussion forum when 'm done w the book.

Two reads in, 250ish pages...

Isam/Luc cool, but ... are those veiled guys Aiel male channelers???? Oh fuck.

Talmanes finally gets his moments of awesome! And they're awesome!

So, we're running out of Foresaken... oh HI TAIM!

Oh, hey, Guyborn....

Dear Egwene... he's the frikkin Dragon Reborn. Get your head out of your Amyrlin seat..

Ugo!

Ah... change a kid's name... so basic, but clever. Finally putting the wise back in Wise Ones i see.

Avi' sneaking into Elayne's camp was hysterical. Aiel humor cracks my shit up.

Loving Androl's plotline. That is TENSION. ..."steal them"... yeah, seriously.

Heh, Talmanes... the way to kill Fades is to already be dead!

THE DRAGONS! FUCK CAEMLYN FFS SAVE THE FRIKKIN BOOMCANNONS!!!! Ahh, there we go....

Did Sanderson seriously just make me LIKE Pavara??? Fuck, i think he did....

DID HE JUST GIVE THE RED AJAH A REASON FOR EXISTING????? FUCK HE DID!!!!!

Dragon's Peace not flying so good... saw that one coming. Moiraine showing up to turn the thing around... probably should've expected that but didn't. Neat scene.... that's how Morgase's return last book should've been.

Ah Lan kicking ass.... THERE we go.

Four great captains, four battle fronts. NiiIIIIiiiiiice.

Elayne is actually not being an idiot thus far. Liking the way she's leading the battle. It's like they had her do all the idiocy the last two books so she could shine in this one.

'Darlin' is really just not a good name. I keep thinking Wolverine is talking to someone.

Heh.. Lan.... 'the thunder sounded lounder than six thousand horse... hey there are at least ten thousand back there... and here come more...!'. BOO-YAH.

....loving this so far.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I think I'm just behind you, or was at the point you wrote that post. I'm up to chapter 8, loving every minute and am currently agreeing with all of your above points, especially the one about Egwene.

I was thinking about that earlier....why can't she just treat Rand with the same respect that she expects herself? Why does she always have to belittle him as if he was arse-dirt on the bottom of her arse? While Rand is trying to join everyone together and save the goddamned world, she appears to just be making more trouble. She really does come across as 'Oh, well I'm Amyrlin so you can all go DO ONE'.

I think she needs a good old beat down, though now doesn't really seem an appropriate time for it.

This post has been edited by Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast: 12 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

p450ish...

Ah yes, Dreadlords... someone should have planned a wee bit better for those...

ANDROL MOMENT OF GLOWING AWESOME! That was even better than i expected. Seriously, he gated balefire, regated the weaves, and them dumped the badguys out of the sky. Can we just send this guy in and everyone else take a breather?

Logain, you sort of suck.

Mat, otoh, does little and still streals the show. Tho i think Brandon REALLY enjoys writing Tuon.

Perrin, this hunt thing is taking entirely too long. Interesting game Lanfear is playing tho'., esp after Rand's PFO.

List of likely supporting character deaths being forshadowed deaths so far... Gaul (because frolicking in dreamsville is a BAD idea), Gawyn (that ring is a REALLY BAD idea), Agelmar (wondering if Graendel got at him too), Karede (you never forget your first Grey Man)....

I knew things were going too well for Egwene's Army, but fuck. Demandred brought an entire nation to play. Fuck. Seanchan better hurry up.

I'm hoping Leilwin's plotline is going somewhere because she's been amazingly untinteresting for quite a few books now.

Balefire... not helping!

Callendor... also not helping!

Father/son sparring. Cutre scene.

Cadsuane, you manipulative awesome jerk!

Cadsuane and Moiraine competing over who manipulated Rand better... oh, that IS funny.

Fake seals????? FAKE SEALS!?!??!!??!?! fuck.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

550ish...

GREAT assault on Shayol Gul. Av leading the channelers was a nice touch.

Mat as Prince of Ravens = great. Mat as Prince of Ravens directly leading the Seanchan into combat against the Sharans = MAD FRIKKIN AWESOME.

Demandred... the Dragon is busy trying to kill your boss... standing around shouting for him isn't getting you very far. On the bright side, i'm hoping this means Mat or Egwene take him out.

Egwene's chat w Tuon.... OOOOOoooooooo.

Egwene's reaction to finding out about Tuon and Mat - PRICELESS.

Rand, Nyneave and Moiraine walking into the Bore was one of those epic moments i so read fantasy lit for.

Bashere... Agelmar... AND Byrne.... Graendel you ASSHOLE. This is all going VERY badly for the goodguys right now.

I like the ways the Shadow is using tactics... the more Trollocs you send in, the more food for the rest... or how Fades can push them past exhaustion to get then wherever in time.

Gaul vs Red Veils, takes out a channeler - NICE. ...He's so dead meat.

Whups, buh-bye Tenobia. And possibly Ugo.

And it's not looking good for Gawyn. Leilwin may end up being useful after all.

Min being 'recruited' by Tuon... well THAT complicates things. Kind of makes sense tho'.

...now halfway through, the last 200 or so pages and virtualy an unending series of great action scenes... this is exhausting...

#5 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

Man I wish I could read this book again for the first time. One of the most intense non-Butcher books I've read in a long time with action from cover to cover.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

I've been afk since last week with just a tablet to work with, so while i finished amol ages ago i haven't been able to do a proper Just Finished post...

Here, however, is a summary of my reactionw while reading pages 650 to the end....

Perrin you fail!

Holy fuck!

Go Gaul!

Siuan?!??!!!!!!! Fuck.

Gawyn you fail.
Galad you fail too.Logain you fail MORE.

HOLY FUCKING FUCK.

FUCK, DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?

GREANDLE YOU ASSHOLE FUCK

MATT YOU SNEAKY FUCKER.

HOLY FUCK LAN OMG WIN ULTIMATE WIN MORE WIN

YOU KILLED BELA YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH EGWENE

ARGH

FUCK

HOLY FUCKING DRAGONBALLS FUCKING FUCK WOW.

RHUARC OH FUCK

NICE ONE THOM.

FUCK.

HAH MORINDIN YOU SUCKER.

NICE ONE OLVER.

WOLVES TONNES OF GREAT BIG SHINY WOLVES!!!!!!

That was Fain? Whatever.....

BOOYAH GOOD GUYS WIN!!!!!!!!!!

#7 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

WTF Thom!?! I re-read the part when he killed Cadsuane with a knife throw to the back nonchalantly about 4 times before reading the next sentence. Oh, ok... nice.

Also, secretly I was hoping that Mat would to die saving Rand someway.
No Touchy.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 24 January 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

WTF Thom!?! I re-read the part when he killed Cadsuane with a knife throw to the back nonchalantly about 4 times before reading the next sentence. Oh, ok... nice...

Had the exact same reaction. Was sure we had just seen Thom revealed to be the longest running darkfriend in the series.

#9 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Anyone killing Cadsuane obviously walks, talks and bodypops in the Light.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Okay... here we go.... the just finished A Memory of Light post... a mere two weeks after i finished it...

SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS
FOR AMOL AND ALL WOT BOOKS SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS BELA IS DEMANDRED IN DISGUISE SPOILERS

SPOILERS SORILEA AND CADSUANE OIL WRESTLING SPOILERS

SPOILERS PERRIN A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOACA SPOILERS

SPOILERS RAND SAYS FUCK ALL THIS SHIT AND GOES DRINKING SPOILERS

SPOILERS NYNEAVE REGROWS HER BRAID YANKS IT OUT AND BEATS SHADAR HARAN INTO PUDDING WITH IT SPOILERS

SPOILERS

...I'll skip the preamble and just get to the point....

BEST CROWNING MOMENT OF PURE UNADULTERATED AWESOMENESS - Lan riding into the evil army covered by two rivers flaming arrows, engages Demandred in a sword fight and beats him with the trick he taught Rand back in EYE. I read it thrice the first time. brilliant. frikkin BRILLIANT.

BEST FAILURES TO BE AWESOME - Gawyn, Galad and Logain's failed shots at Demandred. This sort of became a joke. For that matter, Demandred standing around demanding that Lews fight him while Shayol Ghul was under attack was sort of silly... easily handwaved but even so, as a key plot point in the book it was a bit odd.

BEST EVIL MOMENT OF AWESOME - The above offset by Demandred establishing himself as a truly awesome villain by showing up with an entire nation's army of followers, utterly fubar'ing the good guys entire battle plan.

BEST BACKHANDED NOD TO THE FANS - Rand to Gawyn: "I won't explain your own family tree to you, but...".

I KNEW YOU COULD ROCK - Androl and Pevara.... i started to like them lasdt book, but they exceeded all my expectations and i utterly enjoyed every segment these two had. from retaking to Black Tower, to the interplay between them, to Androl picking Taim's pocket for the seals... in a book loaded with great moments from characters we've known for decades, these two relative newbies repeatedly stole the show. Extra points for Pevara's bit about how the Red Ajah is EXACTLY who should be bonding male channelers because who else knows better how to fight channelers.

THE RULE/SUCK AWARD GOES TO - Perrin, for that utterly overlong segment fighting Slayer the first time (tho i did like how Slayer got him by shooting him though a mountain), folowed by the 'let go and kick ass' segment that was pure win. As an aside, i was certain Gaul wouldn't survive this plotline and was happy to see he did.

WORSE DEATH - Siuan, for happening practically offscreen and being of no particular significance. The character deserved better. i know, i know, cast of thousands, not everyone was going to get screen time, etc etc, but this was a character who carried her own plotline for a while and was instrumental in getting Egwene to where she was... a touch more attention wouldn't have hurt.

BEST DEATH - Egwene. Brandon worked miracles with her these last few books and i wasn't certain he'd be able to beat her kicking Seanchan ass AND mindfucking a Foresaken, but he did.

OTHER BEST DEATH - YOU KILLED BELA YOU BASTARD!!!! But as an aside, having Faile flee on Bela and doing the whole 'encourage the little horse to run like the fucking wind' thing was a gutpunch, followed by Olver fleeing on her AND THEN.... allmof which is to say it was nicely done in a coldblooded damn you you horsekilling bastard sort of way.

BEST FAKE OUT - Morindin stabs hand, Rand drops Callandor, Mori picks up Callandor, Moirane and Nyneave TAKE HIS ASS OVER AND PASS HIS POWER TO RAND!!!!! oh, nicely done. Honorable Mention to Lan getting back up after his apparent death.

BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME - Alanna. Firstly it was fairly obvious where that was going from when she originally bonded Rand, and second it went nowhere in particular. This did have the nice aside of having Nyneave rely on her Wisdom medic skills to save her tho. Second place goes to the corrupted Aiel... neat idea, but felt a bit hammered in at the last minute... tho they did make Gaul that more awesome for taking out channellers by himself.

WAIT, WUT???? - Where were all those power-crafter spearheads at Shayol Gul???

BEST HEEHEE - I know some people hated the way the Matt/Fain thing played out, but i had a good laugh at Matt's fake death followed by the stabby denouement. That said, Fain would have benefitted from a tiny bit more presence in the story.

BEST RECOVERY - After pissing me off multiple times in the last few books Elayne came nicely into her own this book and i really enjoyed her segments.

...so that's what stands in my mind having Just Finsihed It (Sort Of). More later and elsethread.
Overall, it was a satisfying end to a long running series and nitpicks aside, i totally enjoyed the book, well worth the money and time.

#11 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I went with Demandred fulfilling the Sharan's 'channeling without weaves' part of their Dragon prophecy to become Bao the Wyld with the True Power and beginning to go snooker loopy, if that helps?

Also I saw a funny rundown of all the stuff Rand did in the epilogue, and it fits pretty well with what the Wyld's traits are meant to be and it entertains me that he stole Demandred's title off him, even post death.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Heh, good point that.
I'm years away from re-reading the whol series, but i suspect that a lot of stuff like that will shine thru on a post-AMoL read.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

BEST DID THAT JUST HAPPEN - Perrin snapping Lanfear's neck. That was almost... creepy.

CHARACTER MOST LIKELY TO DIE BUT DIDN'T - Karede... ffs the guy was BEGGING to give his life and yet he lived and lived and lived.

CHARACTER I'M GLAD DIDN'T DIE - Ugo, for comic relief if nothing else.

MATT ALWAYS ROCKS BUT ESPECIALLY - Matt watching the battle and figuring out how Byrne was going to fuck everything up just from that. Honourable Mention for the whole 'i need to get in there and get bloody if i'm going to understand wtf is happening' thing, which made no sense whatsoever but was still cool.

BEST NEW USE OF CHANNELING - Gates for aerial recon, and random cannon fire gates of pure winnyness.

BEST OLD USE OF CHANNELING DONE NEW - Androl gatefucking balefire. NEAT!

BEST WORSE PLOT WENT NOWHERE - Shadar Haran was fairly pointless in the end. He 'died' offscreen and didn't even get a name drop.

BEST CHARACTER TWIST - Min becoming Tuon's truthspeaker. It was so random and so perfect and even funny. Honorable Meniotn for Cadsuane becoming the Amyrlin because there's something inherently funny and ironic in that turn of events.

BEST THING THE AUTHORS DIDN'T DO - not a 'real' dragon to be seen.

#14 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

How did Uno turn into Ugo?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

View PostUse Of Weapons, on 29 January 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Why should Rand be the only character who gets to change his name all the frikkin time?

#16 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostAbyss, on 11 January 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

Dear Egwene... he's the frikkin Dragon Reborn. Get your head out of your Amyrlin seat..

This! Dear God This! The DR may be 22 or something (Its hard to nail down for me at least if the fourteen books cover a few years or just one) but that means the Amyrlin is still one year younger than him. When she thinks of him as the 'boy' and 'sheepherder' I knew she had left reality behind. I think that's part of the problem with the books actually. In hindsight we see little character growth among the two rivers cast over fourteen books. They change but never acknowledge that the others change too. Her first though upon seeing Mat is to save him. If only they had talked to each other occasionally.

Worst of all the Egwene of MoL is in direct contrast and opposition with the Egwene of KoD who bitch slaps Elaida with her mind while discussing how the DR should be treated.

View PostAbyss, on 29 January 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

View PostUse Of Weapons, on 29 January 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Why should Rand be the only character who gets to change his name all the frikkin time?

WORST NAME CHANGE - Mat becoming Knotai (Is it just co-incidence or a really bad pun that its almost naughty?)

This post has been edited by Cause: 29 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

#17 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

I thought he was trying to say 'not I' -- a reference to how hard it was to write the character as Jordan had done.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I assumed it was some sort of pun either way.

#19 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

The worse case is if it references that he lost his damn eye. I like Sanderson but he needs to learn some subtlety

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

three possible interps right there... all accurate... i think that gets at least a couple of points for subtle.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users