Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

silann vs endest silann?

#1 User is offline   judaskiss 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

I am almost finished with the book and a thought has finally occurred to me. Does anyone know if Silann (husband to Esthala) and Endest Silann are the same person? I was just wondering because when Silann is with his wife or his soldiers he is referred to as just "Silann" and when he was with the priests etc. he is referred to as Endest or Silann or Endest Silann. Also when Silann is with his wife, nothing (that I can recall) is said about his priesthood just like when he is with the other priests and historian nothing is referenced about his wife or the soldiers.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

They are not the same person, which is why they appear in different places at the same time and have no characteristics in common with each other. Since it's a surname, I imagine they are related somehow though.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   judaskiss 

• Recruit

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

thanks!

#4 User is offline   Wol 

• Recruit

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

They're father and son. There's a bit during the part where they realize that Rake had something do with the caravan where they talk/ think about their son the disappointment/ priest.

#5 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostWol, on 07 January 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

They're father and son. There's a bit during the part where they realize that Rake had something do with the caravan where they talk/ think about their son the disappointment/ priest.

i was quite surprised to see how different endest is from his parents. they're straight up murderers, and endest is so gentle. crazy.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#6 User is offline   Wol 

• Recruit

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Probably why they think he's a disappointment. The Tiste legion hardly seems like it attracts many particularly upstanding citizens in any case. Well either that or it's the killing gets easier the more you do it issue/ that thing from Jarhead about never forgetting the feeling of holding a gun and how easy it is to pick it up again.
Still that said, it's been mentioned frequently in the main series that most of the Malazan's were all mean SOB's and murderers before they joined up as well. Seem's like a feature of SE's writing/ world, although I've got no idea what it's like these days, so it might be the same here in real life too.

This post has been edited by Wol: 08 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

#7 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

well, lets take libya for example, setting aside for the moment that a western cultural morality and a libyan cultural morality look very different. how many of these people who have been going around executing sub-saharan africans were hardened killers before the revolution? likely not many. what about khaddafi's soldiers? were they recruited on the strength of their cruelty, or was their cruelty indoctrinated into them? i'd imagine the split is pretty even.

we're seeing these tiste soldiers after they've fought several wars, so it would be difficult to say how they were before them, but in the case of the silann's it really seems like they are just shitty people.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 08 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#8 User is offline   judaskiss 

• Recruit

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostWol, on 07 January 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

I guess I must've completely missed that part. Thanks!

#9 User is offline   Wol 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 08 January 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

well, lets take libya for example, setting aside for the moment that a western cultural morality and a libyan cultural morality look very different. how many of these people who have been going around executing sub-saharan africans were hardened killers before the revolution? likely not many. what about khaddafi's soldiers? were they recruited on the strength of their cruelty, or was their cruelty indoctrinated into them? i'd imagine the split is pretty even.

we're seeing these tiste soldiers after they've fought several wars, so it would be difficult to say how they were before them, but in the case of the silann's it really seems like they are just shitty people.

As well as Hun Ral stirring them up for however knows how long. But yeah, the Silann's really do seem like shitty people. Still I found the most interesting thing from that segment to be how terrified of Rake they were, considering that I'd rate FOD Rake as an easier one to deal with than a Soletaken Archmage. I.e in theory they could wear him down and it's not like at that point he had any overwhelmingly powerful abilities that set him apart from the other Tiste aside from MD's favor, and martial expertise.

btw Judaskiss it's not outright stated, but the comments certainly made it seem like that was the case.

This post has been edited by Wol: 10 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

#10 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostWol, on 10 January 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

btw Judaskiss it's not outright stated, but the comments certainly made it seem like that was the case.

Actually, it is, but it's easy to miss.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#11 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

A lot of stuff is easy to miss and easy to forget..

For the Deniers :-)

Risp said nothing. The venom between husband and wife was growing ever more vicious. There was a son who had left the family, Risp recalled, taking the priestly orders and so disappointing his ambitious parents.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users