Malazan Empire: Annual Reading Resolutions - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Annual Reading Resolutions did you? will you?

#21 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 January 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

I'm reminded that i have THE BOOKMAN and CAMERA OBSCURA sitting the the TRP and demanding my eyetime.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Bookman. I haven't gotten Camera Obscura, only because the omnibus version is now out and it's cheaper than buying the two sequels separately.

If you like Angry Robot's steampunk, you should check out City of Dreams & Nightmare by Ian Whates, which I thought was even better than Tidhar's stuff.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#22 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostKruppe, on 08 January 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 08 January 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

I'm reminded that i have THE BOOKMAN and CAMERA OBSCURA sitting the the TRP and demanding my eyetime.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Bookman. I haven't gotten Camera Obscura, only because the omnibus version is now out and it's cheaper than buying the two sequels separately.

If you like Angry Robot's steampunk, you should check out City of Dreams & Nightmare by Ian Whates, which I thought was even better than Tidhar's stuff.

I read that trilo last year. It was good, but more New Weird than straight-up steampunk--a bunch of magitech and stuff. Also, it was another one of those "The City is more than a setting--it's a character"-type series. Which isn't a bad thing, but I didn't really see it as Steampunk.

on topic of Angry Robot-- The Clockwork Vampires omnibus was a lot of fun.

EDIT: Also, this year, I intend to finish Tom Lloyd's "Twilight Reign" series once the last book goes mmpb. This series has gotten steadily better and better with each book.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 08 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#23 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostMentalist, on 08 January 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

I read that trilo last year. It was good, but more New Weird than straight-up steampunk--a bunch of magitech and stuff. Also, it was another one of those "The City is more than a setting--it's a character"-type series. Which isn't a bad thing, but I didn't really see it as Steampunk.

This was the first steampunk-like story I've ever enjoyed. Much of the genre seems to be of the clever premise / meh execution variety. So I admittedly have little expertise in assigning books to this category, but I believe the publishers themselves make the claim on the cover blurbs.

In any case, I've just begun The Society Of Steam Book One: The Falling Machine by Andrew P. Mayer. I assume this will be full-on steampunk, given the title. I'm enjoying it so far, so maybe I'm warming up to the genre.

Oh yeah, my resolution. I'm going to more carefully catalog my 2013 reads, starting now. See you all in the Reading at t'moment thread.

#24 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostKruppe, on 08 January 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

I'm going to more carefully catalog my 2013 reads, starting now.

Do you have a Goodreads or LibraryThing account? That makes things pretty easy. Or you could just go the spreadsheet route, which I still find useful.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 08 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 08 January 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Do you have a Goodreads or LibraryThing account? That makes things pretty easy. Or you could just go the spreadsheet route, which I still find useful.

I use the 'reading at t'moment' thread. ;)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 08 January 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

I do all 3 of those things, actually. I'm just not very good about keeping track of the dates. Anyway, I want to foist my reading list on you people, as revenge for making me interested in so many different books, thereby thwarting my attempts to shrink my to-read pile.

#27 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostKruppe, on 08 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Anyway, I want to foist my reading list on you people, as revenge for making me interested in so many different books, thereby thwarting my attempts to shrink my to-read pile.

It's only fair.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

this is why i pimp the dresdencrack.... if i have to suffer, EVERYONE MUST SUFFER!!!

#29 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

View PostAbyss, on 08 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

this is why i pimp the dresdencrack.... if i have to suffer, EVERYONE MUST SUFFER!!!

And the CoCaine

and Takeshi Kovacs

and the Laundry files...

and I can go on....

Also, re: Steampunk. Kruppe, you should really read Whitechapel Gods it's a a self-contained novel, it's awesome, and it's the single best representation of what "real" steampunk is about.

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

View PostMentalist, on 09 January 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 08 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

And the CoCaine

and Takeshi Kovacs

and the Laundry files...

and I can go on....

Also, re: Steampunk. Kruppe, you should really read Whitechapel Gods it's a a self-contained novel, it's awesome, and it's the single best representation of what "real" steampunk is about.

See also Patrick Lee's BREACH series.

And i totally second that WHITECHAPEL GODS reco.

#31 User is offline   Hound 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Uhm... let's see.
According to the Goodreads Reading Challenge I should read 60 books this year (previous years I read 50+ books a year, so 60 should be doable).

High on the list:
A Memory of Light (waiting for it to arrive)

A bit lower, but still high:
The Coldest War and Necessary Evil by Ian Tregillis.
The Twelve by Justin Cronin
Gun Machine by Warren Ellis
River of Stars by GG Kay
The Genghis Khan books by Conn Iggulden
Riyria series by Sullivan
Ketty Jay series by Wooding
Whitechapel Gods by S.M. Peters
The Laundry Files by Stross

Whenever they come available:
Skin Game (duh, Dresden)
The 2nd Kharkanas book

And then whatever book I come across and grabs my attention.

#32 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

THE TWELVE by Justin Cronin

HERETICS OF DUNE and CHAPTERHOUSE: DUNE by Frank Herbert (still torn on these).

THE WHITE-LUCK WARRIOR by R Scott Bakker, because it's almost criminal I've gone this long without reading it.

I'm debating A MEMORY OF LIGHT, just because I'm curious to see how WoT finally ends. The problem is I don't want to read CROSSROADS etc. to get there.

This post has been edited by McLovin: 09 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#33 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I'm kind of the same, I've heard good things about brandersons WoT booms, but book ten, I think it was, was the final nail in the coffin for me.
I might ask Illy to summarise for me.

#34 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 09 January 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

THE WHITE-LUCK WARRIOR by R Scott Bakker, because it's almost criminal I've gone this long without reading it.

I'm debating A MEMORY OF LIGHT, just because I'm curious to see how WoT finally ends. The problem is I don't want to read CROSSROADS etc. to get there.

I skipped Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight, and Knife of Dreams. Just read the summaries. But then again, I'm known to cheat. I came at aSoIaF late and just read the summaries of Feast and Dance as well. Yeah, I did it. So what? I got a TRP that only grows and if I'm told a book is meh, I'll either ignore it entirely, or if I'm somewhat interested in the series/outcome, I'll read the spoilers, then read the finale, unless its blah.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#35 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostBaco Xtath, on 09 January 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

View PostMcLovin, on 09 January 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

I skipped Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight, and Knife of Dreams. Just read the summaries. But then again, I'm known to cheat. I came at aSoIaF late and just read the summaries of Feast and Dance as well. Yeah, I did it. So what? I got a TRP that only grows and if I'm told a book is meh, I'll either ignore it entirely, or if I'm somewhat interested in the series/outcome, I'll read the spoilers, then read the finale, unless its blah.

ADwD is totally worth the read. Feast is, indeed, very "meh" (except for anything to do with the Iron Men)

#36 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

catching up with my Malazan read from Stonewielder (already reading this one) up to Blood and Bone including this year's (hopefully) 2nd Kharkanas book and the Assail book

Dresdencrack - Changes up to Cold Days including Skin Game, i'm restricting my purchase to pb ones, just to complete my collection, though i just saw the other day GS hardback w/ a 50% discount, may get this one and a pb,

All Frank Herbert's DUNE

Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga

Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, already read first few chapters of Lord Foul's Bane (may include his Gap Sequence)

to complete and read Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company

All of Hobb's trilogy and the latest books

those are the ones on mymind right now, may think of other books to include,
It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#37 User is offline   Alrin 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

The two books I've been dying for, from Mulholland:

SKINNER - Charlie Huston
GUN MACHINE - Warren Ellis (got my copy yesterday, but I'm interstate this weekend and won't be able to dig in until I return)

Stuff I'll read at the earliest opportunity (*some of which will probably drop in '14):

THE DARK DEFILES - Rich Morgan*
RIVER OF STARS - Guy Kay
ANNHILATION - Jeff VanderMeer*
A DISCOURSE IN STEEL - Paul S Kemp
ABBADON'S GATE - Jimmy Corey
NECESSARY EVIL - Ian Tregillis

Anything else I'll take as it comes.
"Fuck epiphanies and denouement. Just clobber the structural confines and ramble all over the page."
— Steven Erikson (2008)

#38 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

We'll not turn this into a WoT discussion, I honestly don't remember what the books are called after the eye of the world, I just know the last few I read sucked major balls and I wanted to punch virtually every female character, including Perrin.

back on topic, a conversation with Ment has convinced me to add Tom Lloyd second book (forget the name) to my list as I've had it lying at home for an age

#39 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I don't have the guts to try finish WoT anytime soon but hey maybe towards the end of the year will feel differently. Currently need to read the Mistborn trilogy. I'd like to read something by Hemmingway aswell. Hear he was a great author and i need a more rounded reading base.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#40 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

View Postyuna_anomander25, on 10 January 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, already read first few chapters of Lord Foul's Bane (may include his Gap Sequence)

You should definitely include his GAP Cycle; it's the best thing he's written. His Mordant's Need duology is also fantastic. I like the Covenant books, but to me they're his third-best series.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users