Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apt, put the kettle on.

#1 User is offline   Rodders 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

This series just gets better and better, the positives are always far, far too many to mention.

I just wanted to mention a couple of points.

1. Through many references, we know Jaghuts are extremely difficult to kill. Even Tlan Imass in their thousands didn't kill them, they buried them under slabs of rock or in warded chambers. But Ganath seemed to die very easily.
Mind that Kchain CheMalle, what Kchain CheMalle ..... Urrgh. I didn't see the need for her to die like that, it didn't seem 'right'.
Was SE reitterating the point that anybody can be killed by anybody? It just seemed we'd been told that these beings were almost indestructable, then whammo. Seemed a strange scene which didn't really serve much of a point. I couldn't get it to sit quite right.

2. When Cotillion talks with Edgewalker (in ch 2). He sees a boat on the lake and thinks it is some type of demons off to raid the aptorian villages.
Whoa whoa, aptorian demons live in villages. I must admit, I can't picture Apt, who we met in D.G. living in a village. Do they have to mow the lawn, after a hard days marauding. Evening Apt, had a hard day slaying? Well just you sit down, put your feet up and read the paper.
Somebody please rearrange the mental images I now have of aptorian demons living in villages, I'm struggling. Again, I can't get this tiny point to sit quite right.

As usual all replies greatfully received by this wonderful community.
Cheers Rodders.

This post has been edited by Rodders: 22 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

1. Foreshadowing

2. They are aliens beings to Wu, not beasts. See, Pearl in MT.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

an aptorian village likely doesn't look anything like what we'd call a village. everything would be oriented for tripedal locomotion and single grasping limb manipulation.

also, i feel like k'chain are a more deadly race than imass, so ganath being taken out by them isn't so odd. also, she's only just been released, and like other races, the jaghut are not all uniformly powerful. only some might need rocks to keep them down, but then, it could also be that the imass just became vicious. case in point, the broken skeletons of jaghut children in DG.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

About Ganath, we 'see' her knocked down, and don't see her again in the book, so it's not a foregone conclusion that she was actually killed as opposed to ending up, by example, captured like Sorric.

I totally agree that not all Jaghut was world-shaking powerhouses like Gothos, and I admit it seems pretty likely she's dead, but do point out that the scene is not so clear-cut.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Rodders 

• Corporal

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yeah, thanks for the input.
It's a minor detail in a massive book. It just makes me think back to other previous instances between Tlan Imass and Jaghut. Why go to the trouble of subduing them and entombing them, which must have taken many Tlan and a lot of effort. If they have a Jaghut in a position to entomb it, why not just chop it up. Surely much easier?

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

depends what your goal is i suppose. the bonecasters sometimes used trapped jaghut as power sources, iirc.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 23 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   Rodders 

• Corporal

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

O right. Don't remember that, but makes sense. Thanks, I knew you guys would sort it through. Still can't get my head round the village concept mind. Apt just seemed a killing machine, difficult to visualise a community of them. But Hey Ho.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users