Malazan Empire: Malazan Skyrim Mod - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Skyrim Mod Would'nt this be a quick hit?

#21 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

View PostForkassal, on 03 February 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Hah, I had absolutely no recollection of that passage, so it didn't really bother me. But yes, you have some points, it does not look like it's made of flint and it doesn't match the description you quoted. It's huge and it's made of stone, that's enough for me ;D. And to be honest, my imaginings of stuff that I read are very seldom detailed beyond a very rough outlining, that also probably changes between reads.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I didn't have a definite detailed picture of it in my head. But the vague image is usually based on the description, and the blade of the agate one was closest to that vague image. The main point being that the mod is absolutely nothing like what I imagined :p
Damnit, now I want someone who can do those sorts of mods to actually do one based on the description :p Silencer, get on that for me! :p
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#22 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostLucifer, on 04 February 2013 - 03:50 AM, said:

View PostForkassal, on 03 February 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Hah, I had absolutely no recollection of that passage, so it didn't really bother me. But yes, you have some points, it does not look like it's made of flint and it doesn't match the description you quoted. It's huge and it's made of stone, that's enough for me ;D. And to be honest, my imaginings of stuff that I read are very seldom detailed beyond a very rough outlining, that also probably changes between reads.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I didn't have a definite detailed picture of it in my head. But the vague image is usually based on the description, and the blade of the agate one was closest to that vague image. The main point being that the mod is absolutely nothing like what I imagined :p
Damnit, now I want someone who can do those sorts of mods to actually do one based on the description :p Silencer, get on that for me! :p

Hehe. Unfortunately I'm not a models/texture guy, which is what you want for this kind of thing. :p Otherwise I would have made myself Bairoth Delum, Dragnipur, Grief, and so forth loooong ago. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#23 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

View PostSilencer, on 04 February 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Hehe. Unfortunately I'm not a models/texture guy, which is what you want for this kind of thing. :p Otherwise I would have made myself Bairoth Delum, Dragnipur, Grief, and so forth loooong ago. XD

No, but you are a mod on a mod forum :p
Just blackmail some members into doing it for you/us :p

#24 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

• Accountant of the Inner Circle
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Universal domination
    Calm
    Sticks

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostLucifer, on 05 February 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 04 February 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

No, but you are a mod on a mod forum :p
Just blackmail some members into doing it for you/us :p

Not just a mod, but an admin!

Just take some passwords ('cause you can totally just do that), try them out on the corresponding e-mail addresses, and voila, now you can blackmail people! While you do that, I'll go get my list of stuff that needs to be in skyrim before week's end.
Money rules the world. I rule the money.

#25 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

In my excitement for Dragonborn, I ended up reinstalling Morrowind.

I don't know why I do this to myself. I have no clue when I'll be playing Skyrim again, as I've spent all my free time in the lats three days playing the third Elder Scrolls. This game is just way too damn good. It also makes me frustrated with the future games, as for every step forward that technology has taken the series I feel like it's also made it take two steps back. Not to say Oblivion and Skyrim aren't good games, I love both of them, but they don't have even 1/10th of Morrowind's complexity. I could write an essay on the political climate of Vvardenfell. Combine that with the complex relationships among the different Houses, Guilds, and Factions, and the world actually comes to life - this is something that its successors have failed to accomplish despite their better graphics, scripted NPC cycles, and voice acting (in fact, voice acting is really what killed a lot of the complexity, I think).

Not to mention Bethesda has been playing things far too safe with Cyrodiil and Skyrim. While I fucking love how Skyrim looks - it's god damn gorgeous - the architecture and overall uniqueness of the landscape in both games is pretty ho-hum. I hope we visit Black Marsh or Elswyr in the next game, as I think both of them could have some really awesome original environments. Valenwood with its moving trees wouldn't be bad either. Depending on how things go with the Aldmeri Dominion, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Summerset Isles game.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#26 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

Calm
    Sticks

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostDefiance, on 07 February 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

I don't know why I do this to myself. I have no clue when I'll be playing Skyrim again, as I've spent all my free time in the lats three days playing the third Elder Scrolls. This game is just way too damn good. It also makes me frustrated with the future games, as for every step forward that technology has taken the series I feel like it's also made it take two steps back. Not to say Oblivion and Skyrim aren't good games, I love both of them, but they don't have even 1/10th of Morrowind's complexity. I could write an essay on the political climate of Vvardenfell. Combine that with the complex relationships among the different Houses, Guilds, and Factions, and the world actually comes to life - this is something that its successors have failed to accomplish despite their better graphics, scripted NPC cycles, and voice acting (in fact, voice acting is really what killed a lot of the complexity, I think).

Not to mention Bethesda has been playing things far too safe with Cyrodiil and Skyrim. While I fucking love how Skyrim looks - it's god damn gorgeous - the architecture and overall uniqueness of the landscape in both games is pretty ho-hum. I hope we visit Black Marsh or Elswyr in the next game, as I think both of them could have some really awesome original environments. Valenwood with its moving trees wouldn't be bad either. Depending on how things go with the Aldmeri Dominion, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Summerset Isles game.

I'm very sad that I didn't get into Morrowind in it's glory days. I bought it a few years after it's release as a GOTY edition, but I never really got into, I think I played it for something like 50 hours. Now it just feels to ancient for me to play it again, especially with its retarded combat system (I'M HITTING THAT GUY IN THE FACE, COME ON, HIT HIM).

#27 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostDefiance, on 07 February 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

Amen.

That being said, they could make Summerset Isles VERY unique. It is after all the home of the most natural mages in the world and the seat of the Psijic Order - you tellin' me that place ain't whacked as hell? It might not be mushroom towers, but I could very well see it being VERY weird, ostentatious, "too perfect", that sort of thing. I think there isn't even much hard lore on the locale, leaving them with breathing room for creativity. :p

Also, Black Marsh is hard to do right. In theory, much of it is inhospitable to anything non-native. The reason Argonians have such high poison and disease resistance is that their natural habitat is one of the most poisonous, disease-ridden locales in the game - and half their cities are underwater, iirc. It's not really somewhere you just "visit" or "explore", I feel. XD 'Course, Bethesda would happily throw all that out the window to make a game - but in doing so I imagine it would also become "generic swampy planet"-type scenery.
The trouble with Valenwood is similar. Imagine: MOVING CITY TREES. How are they going to animate that? How about something that is 90% forest, deep, and lush, and impassible? Climbing trees is almost necessary to get around in the inner reaches. And most of the forest is gigantic, gigantic trees which the game probably couldn't even render on the appropriate scale without having atrocious textures.

Elsweyr is more doable, and would be awesome. Of course, they will remove all variants of Khajiit other than bipedal, humanoid-ish ones - which is also scandalous. I want my battlecats, dammit! :p

The above makes me think: High Rock, Hammerfell, or Summerset Isles. We're kinda moving in an East-West direction, so most likely High Rock? Plot-wise it's more likely to be Summerset, though.

View PostForkassal, on 07 February 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

I'm very sad that I didn't get into Morrowind in it's glory days. I bought it a few years after it's release as a GOTY edition, but I never really got into, I think I played it for something like 50 hours. Now it just feels to ancient for me to play it again, especially with its retarded combat system (I'M HITTING THAT GUY IN THE FACE, COME ON, HIT HIM).

I always found solace over the "why the fuck aren't I hitting him?" syndrome of the skill-based combat in Morrowind, in assuming that this was more an accurate representation of: my skill with the sword vs the opponents' skill at dodging/parrying.

It makes a lot of sense, actually. Just because you are *aiming* at someone and it looks on the screen like you should be hitting the target does not mean, in real life, that you would be landing a hit. In many ways it is a much more accurate representation of both the difficulty and skill inherent in melee combat. To me, the dichotomy of "100% goes where you're pointing attack" and "hold to block" is incredibly simplistic. While the appearance of the Morrowind combat system is obviously seriously lacking, and indeed frustrating (won't ever argue that one), from a, roundabout, "realism" and roleplaying perspective, it is much, MUCH more comprehensive and deep. Even if you have to use your imagination to make it anything other than really annoying. :p

This simplification is, I feel, very much a "console generation" move - the decline of the Elder Scrolls games (again, like Defiance, I actually love Oblivion and Skyrim) comes in their move towards "action" and away from "RPG". The instant gratification of twitch-based FPS...you can see its influence no more clearly than in the revamped combat system of Oblivion compared to Morrowind. Is it less frustrating? Sure! And the combat was sooo annoying in Morrowind. But is it better? Not really, no. All it did was swap frustration for boredom - there is no real influence of your skills on attacking, there is no variation in the attacks (power attacks do not count, they are stupid and should not exist), and there is no provision for your enemy to dodge, or counter you. That is not "improved". The direction they should have focused on was the animation - to make what happened on the screen reflect what was going on behind the scenes - rather than on the base mechanics (and even then, to say they "focused" on the base mechanics is implying that taking all complexity out of it and making it "click to hit enemy" is in some way BETTER, rather than just simpler/easier/more pointless).

So you see, even on one of the most-needed changes from Morrowind to Oblivion/Skyrim, they actually kinda messed up, imo. :S

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#28 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

Calm
    Sticks

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostSilencer, on 07 February 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Text

I see your point about the skill of combat, alas, at the time of my playing the game, I was too young for such solutions as which you describe. Also, the stats and numbers hit-or-miss system took away focus from the skill of the player, making me feel disconnected from the experience. Some kind of feedback was needed that the enemy dodged my swing. Or blocked it. Or somehow deflected it. I do prefer Skyrim over Morrowind because Morrowind just feels so ancient in a lot of ways. What especially bothered me was that the game's world felt so barren (I do realise that it was also supposed to be somewhat barren, lore-wise). And Cliff Racers. Those damned things chased me to world's end and back.

However, I'd rather go back to Morrowind than to Oblivion, because the levelling system in the latter was so moronic, I can only assume that some masochistic bastard had sat for a very long time contemplating on how he could make a system so profoundly stupid that he would be sent to hell for that act of evil/idiocy alone.

This post has been edited by Forkassal: 07 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

#29 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Everything you dislike about Morrowind is stuff I love.

At first glance, the world does seem barren. In truth, however, it has a hell of a lot more content than any Bethesda game since. Take the guilds, for example. In Skyrim, each guild only had ONE outpost. Only one location for a thieves guild in all of Skyrim? Really? I get that the Companions are dying out, Mages are hated, and the Dark Brotherhood has seen better times, but it's ridiculous that they made every single faction/guild located in a single city.

Then we have the wilderness Morrowind has this. Big chunks of land with no cities around in sight, full of dangerous monsters that can rip your head off if you're not careful enough. Add this on top of the fact that you can contract a variety of diseases/blights from creatures, and you have to genuinely prepare before you head too far off the beaten path. And then there would be those instances when you didn't have a restore strength potion on hand and you'd run into Greater Bonewalkers in the bottom of some ruin after filling your bags up with loot. Your last save would be an hour or two back and you'd used up the last of your intervention scrolls, so you'd have to drop half your stuff just to make it back to town. Luckily I don't make that mistake anymore.

I never got this feeling in Oblivion or Skyrim. Everything felt too safe. For the most part the big baddies are confined to their respective dungeons, which I have no real reason to enter to explore other than for some half-assed radiant quest. Thankfully, the dungeons in Skyrim were far better than the ones in Oblivion, and I'll admit that they occasionally wowed me with their beauty. Even so, I never felt inclined to explore because, at least as far as I know, Skyrim doesn't have any super powerful sets of rare armor sitting at the bottom of a ruin in the middle of nowhere (and if there is, it's related to a quest). Morrowind had this. Honestly, how many people found the Dragonbone Cuirass in Morrowind on their own?

As for the combat system, if you ever do go back and play Morrowind and want to avoid dealing with missing so much, make a character that focuses on strength, endurance, and agility stats. Strength will let you carry more and increase your damage, endurance will give you hit points (maxing endurance as fast as possible is a good idea because it determines how much HP you get each level up), and agility will make your far more likely to hit and dodge. Couple that with a class that's proficient with long swords, and the combat is a breeze. I can understand the combat not being some people's cup of tea, and it was something I didn't like at first (but, over the past 11 years, I've grown to love it). Oh, and you do get feedback for blocking - only people with shields can block, and they'll raise your shield and you'll hear your weapon bounce off it if there's a successful block.

Don't try magic unless you're a masochist. Understanding the mechanics of the game (or downloading a magicka regen mod) is pretty vital. Personally I enjoy working with the no-regen mechanic, but it's probably a pain in the ass for people who are used to Oblivion/Skyrim's system.

Anyway, I'll shut the fuck up about combat now, because you're probably not going to play the game again any time soon and all I'm really doing is indulging in my own love for the game.

But no hating on the cliff racers, those guys are the original dragons (in all honestly, hail Saint Jiub).

In regards to Summerset Isles: that's a good point about the possibility of some really cool architecture. Honestly, I think something that would help is if next-gen consoles had the ability to handle open-world cities. This would allow the levitate spell to make a return, which would allow for some pretty awesome architecture, plus it would allow the developers to start making tiny hidden niches at the top of caves and stuff again.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 07 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

~Steven Erikson

#30 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostForkassal, on 07 February 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Text

I see your point about the skill of combat, alas, at the time of my playing the game, I was too young for such solutions as which you describe. Also, the stats and numbers hit-or-miss system took away focus from the skill of the player, making me feel disconnected from the experience. Some kind of feedback was needed that the enemy dodged my swing. Or blocked it. Or somehow deflected it. I do prefer Skyrim over Morrowind because Morrowind just feels so ancient in a lot of ways. What especially bothered me was that the game's world felt so barren (I do realise that it was also supposed to be somewhat barren, lore-wise). And Cliff Racers. Those damned things chased me to world's end and back.

However, I'd rather go back to Morrowind than to Oblivion, because the levelling system in the latter was so moronic, I can only assume that some masochistic bastard had sat for a very long time contemplating on how he could make a system so profoundly stupid that he would be sent to hell for that act of evil/idiocy alone.

Hehe, indeed. Well, the one thing I'd say here is that the "skill of the player" is pretty much irrelevant in the games after Morrowind anyway - I mean seriously, an 8-year-old can be good at Oblivion without much effort! I'd argue you had to be a more skilled player in Morrowind - it may have felt like you were less in control, but you had to manage your inventory and know what to do, etc, a LOT more. And if you ran with the default combat setup (i.e. not "always use best attack") then movement became vastly more important to your experience than in the subsequent games. Besides which, it's an RPG - the stats are kinda part of the fun. :p

But that "feedback" you talk about is what I meant by them working on the animation. If they had managed that, the combat would have been fine running on the old system. No, it would have been perfect. If they could tie the animations to the outcome of the "to hit" rolls, that would have been god-tier! You'd need a lot of work and a powerful machine to do all that in real-time, but it'd sooooo be worth it. XD

And yes, don't get me started on level scaling in Oblivion. Worst. System. Ever. Especially levelled loot. Which also shows up a bit in Skyrim. Why does this bandit have Daedric? I mean, c'mon...
I think that is another thing, which Defiance touches on, that was ruined in later games - they bloody well needed to keep (or regain) the limited loot sets. Like how there was only one full set of Daedric in Morrowind.

....OK, I can feel a rant coming on now. Which would probably take several pages and everyone's read it all before, lol. I'll stop now. Instead I'll go and fire up Morrowind again! XD

Shinrei said:

#31 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

Calm
    Sticks

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostDefiance, on 07 February 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Lots'a text

The combat is probably what put me off from the game when playing it the first time, I mean come on, I was like twelve years old, I had no patience to wait for my stats to increase just so that I could hit the enemy. The magic is probably what bummed me out most about Oblivion and Skyrim. In Morrowind there was this fantastic crafting system, who didn't love that you could create a "fast travel" spell (i.e. jump over half the map spell). In Oblivion it was severly hampered, and in Skyrim magic is just plain boring (not to mention unerpowered late-game). And I totally agree with the feeling safe part, I remember walking around on Solstheim searching for werewolfs, so I could become one. The whole time there was this huge sense of dread, as I knew I probably wouldn't survive an encounter with one. Jumping at shadows, seeing some random wolf or something the like and thinking SHIT IT'S A GOD DAMNED WEREWOLF, RUN MF, RUUUUUN! Oblivion and Skyrim had none of that.

I will probably try to delve into Morrowind again once I've cleared out my backlog a tad bit (not to mention finding the game itself), so your tips are appreciated. And as for the Cliff Racers, they are Satan incarnate, probably produced by the same evil mastermind behind the Oblivion leveling system. May they burn in an eternal fire of agony and... well you get the point.

View PostSilencer, on 07 February 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

View PostForkassal, on 07 February 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Text

Hehe, indeed. Well, the one thing I'd say here is that the "skill of the player" is pretty much irrelevant in the games after Morrowind anyway - I mean seriously, an 8-year-old can be good at Oblivion without much effort! I'd argue you had to be a more skilled player in Morrowind - it may have felt like you were less in control, but you had to manage your inventory and know what to do, etc, a LOT more. And if you ran with the default combat setup (i.e. not "always use best attack") then movement became vastly more important to your experience than in the subsequent games. Besides which, it's an RPG - the stats are kinda part of the fun. :p

But that "feedback" you talk about is what I meant by them working on the animation. If they had managed that, the combat would have been fine running on the old system. No, it would have been perfect. If they could tie the animations to the outcome of the "to hit" rolls, that would have been god-tier! You'd need a lot of work and a powerful machine to do all that in real-time, but it'd sooooo be worth it. XD

And yes, don't get me started on level scaling in Oblivion. Worst. System. Ever. Especially levelled loot. Which also shows up a bit in Skyrim. Why does this bandit have Daedric? I mean, c'mon...
I think that is another thing, which Defiance touches on, that was ruined in later games - they bloody well needed to keep (or regain) the limited loot sets. Like how there was only one full set of Daedric in Morrowind.

....OK, I can feel a rant coming on now. Which would probably take several pages and everyone's read it all before, lol. I'll stop now. Instead I'll go and fire up Morrowind again! XD

I actually think that Skyrim on Master is pretty damned challenging. And Morrowind takes a different kind of skill (read: a somewhat functioning brain), while Skyrim is more of an action game, requiring zeal, determination, and a quick finger on the F5 button every few seconds. As my higher brain functions went AWOL the week before I was born (and have yet to return), I prefer the latter. And about the animations, that wouldn't have had to be so taxing. They could do it MMO-style, where the dodging character just does a duck or something like that. And don't give me that "8-year olds can be good at Oblivion" speech, I was 15 and sucked ass (because I put the skills I would actually use as Major Skills, WHICH WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO, go figure). I'm deeply offended. Kind of. Okay, I'm not. I just wanted to get another stab in on the leveling system. Damn that felt good, you gotta kick 'em when they're down.

This post has been edited by Forkassal: 09 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

#32 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

I always found solace over the "why the fuck aren't I hitting him?" syndrome of the skill-based combat in Morrowind, in assuming that this was more an accurate representation of: my skill with the sword vs the opponents' skill at dodging/parrying.

It makes a lot of sense, actually. Just because you are *aiming* at someone and it looks on the screen like you should be hitting the target does not mean, in real life, that you would be landing a hit. In many ways it is a much more accurate representation of both the difficulty and skill inherent in melee combat. To me, the dichotomy of "100% goes where you're pointing attack" and "hold to block" is incredibly simplistic. While the appearance of the Morrowind combat system is obviously seriously lacking, and indeed frustrating (won't ever argue that one), from a, roundabout, "realism" and roleplaying perspective, it is much, MUCH more comprehensive and deep. Even if you have to use your imagination to make it anything other than really annoying.

This simplification is, I feel, very much a "console generation" move - the decline of the Elder Scrolls games (again, like Defiance, I actually love Oblivion and Skyrim) comes in their move towards "action" and away from "RPG". The instant gratification of twitch-based FPS...you can see its influence no more clearly than in the revamped combat system of Oblivion compared to Morrowind. Is it less frustrating? Sure! And the combat was sooo annoying in Morrowind. But is it better? Not really, no. All it did was swap frustration for boredom - there is no real influence of your skills on attacking, there is no variation in the attacks (power attacks do not count, they are stupid and should not exist), and there is no provision for your enemy to dodge, or counter you. That is not "improved". The direction they should have focused on was the animation - to make what happened on the screen reflect what was going on behind the scenes - rather than on the base mechanics (and even then, to say they "focused" on the base mechanics is implying that taking all complexity out of it and making it "click to hit enemy" is in some way BETTER, rather than just simpler/easier/more pointless).

I am addressing this point first because...No. Jus-just, no..
You haven't made me cringe so much in post in a long time Silencer :p
I... It's actually kinda hard to explain why this is so wrong. I'm no master, but I'm good enough that you should trust me on this :p
You're right that very high level mellee combat is pretty nuanced. But a very large amount of it is actually just trading blows and blocks/parries. With the defensive half being the harder part. If you spent the game fighting master swordsmen, I might agree with you that it's more "realist" (though I'd still cringe a little), but in reality you spend much of the games killing wolves, brigands, random monsters, town guards and half-arsed soldiers. For a military like the Imperial one, the sort of fine combat control you are thinking of would be fairly uncommon, rare even. Most of their training would be focussed on group fighting, taking orders and that sort of thing. High levels of swordsmanship aren't very useful when sandwiched between people (likewise, guards, if faced with a competent swordsman would probably be trained to stall and make noise till overwhelming numbers arrived). You've read Malazan, you should know that :p
While oversimplified, Skyrim's is actually a more realistic version. Messy angry fighting. Not bad, not unskilled, but not subtle. Lots of overpowering, pushing back and beating you're opponent down. Brutal and aggressive. That's probably the sort of fighting a Norse styled race would employ on bandits and the likes.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's too simple, but it's an improvement over Morrowind. Best fighting like this I've come across in a game though, is Risen, hands down. Best version of player skill based RPG combat. It's essentially an improvement on collision based fighting like Skyrim's. You could dodge sideways or backwards (and had to use the right dodge for the right move:dodge sideways for lunges, back for sweeps, etc). Blocks without a shield were semi-directional and short lived (so basically parries, and you couldn't block thrusts/lunges without a shield). As you levelled up your relevant fighting skill you did more damage with that weapon and you gained new ways to use it in a fight. When you first grab a big branch off the beach to kill a big arse bird all you can do is crappy clumsy overhand swings. I stuck with the staff till the end, and by then I could thrust, lunge, sweep, parry, counterattack and carry one swing into another with less break, essentially doing combos. Controls were pretty simple, and you were taught stuff slow enough to get used to it as you went. I could utterly destroy monstrous warriors from a fighter culture, and yet if I just walked in flailing I could get the shit kicked out of me by some crappy bandits or a few wolves. Those latter two were easy by the end with a little attention, but the point being that they still required a little attention.
Also, enemies had different "fighting styles" as it made sense. Wolves were usually in a pack and would try to circle you. They could also, sensibly, only do lunge attacks, which is leaping in to bite. So after fighting a few wolves you knew to always be ready to side dodge and to stop them circling. Big troll things did lots of huge wide sweeps, so back dodges and lunges worked well. Those monstrous warriors had parries and lunges and combos like you did, so fighting defensively to give yourself an opening was a good tactic (as was magic, if you had access to it)
In short, it was awesome :p

Maybe I'm wrong, but the "numbers in the background then dictate visuals to represent result" system wouldn't be very resource heavy would it? In fact I imagine it could be pretty resource light. It would require a lot of possible permutations for outcomes (if you didn't want it to feel too "canned"), but once set up it would simply be a "die roll" followed by an animation that's pre set to go based on the outcome and the positions of those involved. Provided you set up a big exhaustive list of situations, it would just be selecting the animation that goes with those criteria off a "shelf" or pre-prepared animations.
I have a much more limited knowledge of programming than I do of sword fighting though :D

Like a few others here I am very much in the camp of "I love lots of the improvements, but they have come at a high cost to other great parts".
I like the voice acting, but by necessity it greatly reduces all the idle chatter and lore tidbits and gossip you could get off NPCs (actually that's one of the only improvements that directly comes with it's own tradeoff). I love the classless system. NPCs doing shit, and all the improved graphics is good. I think the stats needed an overhaul, but they took too much away. Perks add a lot, but at the same time they took away quite a few skills. I miss Jump :p
It why I said when Skyrim was launched that what I really want, is for someone to remake Morrowind in Skyrim. Not just the continent, the content. But do it as a best of both worlds. No classes, have perks, add in missing skills (and make some perks for them), Skyrim combat (possibly take one of the improved combat mods), port over all the NPC conversations in text (and the story), put all the missing spells back, keep the new ones and add back in all the equipment slots. Possibly other stuff, but you get the idea.

Also, I'm sorry to show you this, but I feel obliged to:
"The buildings of Alinor are said to look like they are "made from glass or insect wings." If the Summurset Isles are traversable at release will we see a design reminiscent of this? And will we see the Crystal Tower for that matter?! - By Callum Parker
When The Elder Scrolls Online launches, the playable part of the Summerset Isles will be Auridon, the big island between Summerset and the continent that includes the cities of Firsthold and Skywatch. The architecture of the High Elves is fanciful, certainly, but it’s also practical, constructed of real-world materials. Architects can’t make buildings out of poetry! - Offical Response from a Q&A"
Fuck you TESO Devs, they are a race of natural mages AND one of the best light armours in TES games is glass armour. Which means touch, sturdy and probably flexible (in the way metal has strength because it isn't brittle, I don't mean flexible like cloth) glass is a "real-world material", and that's without the magic part.
Gah! They really do have a lot of great game play mechanics and ideas (and are taking a lot of good ones from other places), but it's stuff like this that is making me so pissed off :p (there is a lot of stuff like this) I mean it could still look like an awesome place, but that's a retarded response and worries me that they just plan to do standard high elf architecture.

#33 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Eh, I think combat goes both ways. Messy combat may be more realistic, especially given Nordic culture, but that kind of combat is also a lot more liable to get you killed. If you're swinging your weapon like a crazy man and your opponent manages to slide past you, you're done for. Ultimately, though, games shouldn't strive for too much realism in their combat. This is one of those cases where gameplay trumps realism.

That is a fucking bullshit answer from the ESO developers. The High Elves' architecture has to be practical? Have the developers even bothered to take a look at Morrowind? Giant mushroom towers and houses that are...wait for it...grown with magic!

Just one more reason why I won't even touch ESO.
~Steven Erikson

#34 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

Calm
    Sticks

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostLucifer, on 08 February 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Also, I'm sorry to show you this, but I feel obliged to:
"The buildings of Alinor are said to look like they are "made from glass or insect wings." If the Summurset Isles are traversable at release will we see a design reminiscent of this? And will we see the Crystal Tower for that matter?! - By Callum Parker
When The Elder Scrolls Online launches, the playable part of the Summerset Isles will be Auridon, the big island between Summerset and the continent that includes the cities of Firsthold and Skywatch. The architecture of the High Elves is fanciful, certainly, but it's also practical, constructed of real-world materials. Architects can't make buildings out of poetry! - Offical Response from a Q&A"
Fuck you TESO Devs, they are a race of natural mages AND one of the best light armours in TES games is glass armour. Which means touch, sturdy and probably flexible (in the way metal has strength because it isn't brittle, I don't mean flexible like cloth) glass is a "real-world material", and that's without the magic part.
Gah! They really do have a lot of great game play mechanics and ideas (and are taking a lot of good ones from other places), but it's stuff like this that is making me so pissed off :p (there is a lot of stuff like this) I mean it could still look like an awesome place, but that's a retarded response and worries me that they just plan to do standard high elf architecture.

And here I was, almost entirely certain that glass was in fact a real-world material.

#35 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'm going to be reinstalling Oblivion soon, and I'd like to get some recommendations for mods to install. Already on my list are:

Midas Magic
Better Cities
Lost Spires
Kvatch Rebuilt
FCOM Convergence (takes care of the stupid scaling issues that vanilla game had)
Mannimarco Resurrection
Darnified UI
Qarl's Texture Pack 3
Deadly Reflex
Unique Landscapes
Unofficial Oblivion/Shivering Isles Patches
Origin of the Mage's Guild
NifSE/Mod Manager/Wyre Bash
Elder Council
Better Loading Screens
Better Dungeons
Weather All Natural
OBGE Liquid Water
Enhanced Daedric Invasion
Quest Award Leveling
Ultimate Music Pack

Open to any and all suggestions.
~Steven Erikson

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users