Malazan Empire: Submitting manuscripts to publishers - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Submitting manuscripts to publishers Ideas for those looking at going the agent-free approach

#1 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

HarperVoyager's opening to unsolicited manuscripts for two weeks in October got me thinking that this sub-forum could maybe do with a thread that has suggestion for people who can't or don't want to go through an agent to get published.

I'm not a huge fan of the agent system, I think it's nice to be able to have someone who can check your manuscript for quality, but that's what assessors are for, and besides it restricts published manuscripts to people with spare money, and that's a bit shit.

Unfortunately my knowledge is mostly geographically restricted (and round these parts publishers still accept unsolicited manuscripts) but I thought maybe other people might have suggestions too. Smaller publishers are often more open to unsolicited manuscripts, but also tend to be rather less well known (and they tend to be regionally based as well) so it could potentially be rather useful to know whether there's someone nearby who might want your manuscript.

So, to that end, here's one for any SF New Zealand writers, there's a very new publisher based in Wellington called Steampress. They're slightly more inclined to sci-fi than fantasy, but then again the first book they published was fantasy.

Hopefully other people might have links and suggestions and won't leave my poor thread sad and alone :sofa:
*Men's Frights Activist*

#2 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

You should never, ever, ever pay an agent to accept your manuscript. If an agent is charging up-front fees for representation, AVOID. There are good agents around, and there's a listing site for agents to avoid (and black-listed scam publishers, too). I think it's linked from Ralan.com, and SFWA definitely maintain a list.

The publishers who accept unagented manuscripts are few, these days, and it helps to have a personal contact. That is the main reason for conventions, IMO. You will, eventually, need an agent to handle contract negotiations, but it's far easier to get one if you've had an expression of interest (or an actual sale) from a publisher.

You: Here, publisher, what do you think of [work of genius]
Pub: It is truly a work of genius. How much of our lovely money would you like us to pay for it?
You: I will get my agent to get in touch with you. [Frantic search for agent ensues]
Agent: Hi, Pub, I represent Genius, whose work [work of genius] you recently accepted. Let us Deal.
Pub: Ah, I can see you are a Professional.

There are freelance editors out there who are genre-savvy and have contacts with the large publishing houses. My friend is one, her website is www.textmender.com. She introduced me to Gollancz's senior editor. The traditional route does still work -- but in these impatient times, it may be too slow for some people. If you're going to take a shortcut, make sure it's not one that will ruffle feathers down the line. (eg. If a publisher says 'no simultanous submissions' they generally mean it.)
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users