Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

Deleted

This post has been edited by .-‘: 02 October 2021 - 07:39 PM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

I'm sooo fucking worried for Nintendo. For the past half year up to the release the press have been very confused about this product. Now it is out and they don't know what to do or say about the thing. Low battery life, missing software, poorly optimized games, bad 3rd party support, few interesting 1st party games, even the Mario games this time around seems run of the mill. From what it looks like, this isn't a between generations console. It's a "this generation" console that came out 7 years too late.

I really hope that Nintendo is capable of doing its advertising magic and ship a fuck load of consoles because otherwise I see them going the way of SEGA. Two years from now Nintendo could be done as a console maker. In one way that would sort of please me because, really, the Wii is fine as a toy for your kids, but Nintendo hasn't been in the lead of the videogame business for three generations now, and I'd love to see them release some Mario, Zelda and Metroid games on a powerful consoles. On the other hand, this is our Childhood dying right in front of our eyes.

Why on EARTH did they not have a "Super Mario Galaxy" class of game ready for their launch? Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Icarus and Samus is what draws people in. Not new franchises.

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 21 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

#3 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

Man, seeing Mario on the next Xbox would be weird as hell.

While Nintendo's consoles are always several steps behind Sony's and Microsoft's, I haven't always felt this was a bad thing. Sure, there is a hell of a lot of shitty third-party games released, but there have also been some gems. Take Xenoblade Chronicles, for instance. Amazing game with beautiful visuals (in terms of Wii graphics) and easily over one hundred hours of gameplay, but I can't imagine it ever having appeared on the 360 or PS3. It would have been instantly dismissed for its graphics, and if the graphics and animations had been made up to 360/PS3 standards the game's content would have had to be gutted due to budget reasons.

On the other hand, there's things like Kickstarter now to give third-party developers funding to make great games for people who care more about story and gameplay than graphics.

I'm sure I'll buy a Wii U in a year or two after the price drops drastically and several more games are released, but currently it doesn't look compelling.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#4 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

No way, just look at Nintendo's financial statements. They have so much fucking cash they don't know what to do with all of it. IIRC their assets are roughly ten times their liabilities. They can lose money for several years before they go under.

Anyway my Wii U just came in today. Seems pretty cool. Nintendo Land is more addicting than I expected. I still don't see this thing selling well in the short term, and it wouldn't surprise me if it flopped this holiday season.

Take Xenoblade Chronicles, for instance.

Hands down the best game I've played in several years. I thought I was becoming an old man and could never again totally LOVE a new game. Xenoblade proved me wrong.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 22 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

#5 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

View PostBriar King, on 22 November 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

Anyone else think its possible Sony and Micro will use the concept of Wii U s controller for their next Gen systems? I fucking love that controller.

If they do, I will not be buying the one (or both) that does. Simple as that. Too large, too gimmicky, no battery life, and did I mention TOO LARGE?

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

I sincerely doubt that Microsoft will be going the way of the Wii U controller. Their goal is focused on easier interaction, not a more complex one. Most likely it will revolve around the Kinect 2.0 and voice support. Supposedly, the Kinect that they have been selling was a cheap compromise to the machine they originally wanted to launch. With 3-4 years to develop the technology and lower the cost of of production, the Kinect 2.0 is probably going to become very interesting... or keep on sucking, who knows.

#7 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostAptorius, on 22 November 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

I sincerely doubt that Microsoft will be going the way of the Wii U controller. Their goal is focused on easier interaction, not a more complex one. Most likely it will revolve around the Kinect 2.0 and voice support. Supposedly, the Kinect that they have been selling was a cheap compromise to the machine they originally wanted to launch. With 3-4 years to develop the technology and lower the cost of of production, the Kinect 2.0 is probably going to become very interesting... or keep on sucking, who knows.

OR Win8? >.> Ugh.

But yes, the original demonstrations of the Kinect was apparently freakishly accurate at following and interpreting hand movements and such, and quite adept at voice command recognition. The final product, however....yeah. >.>

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#8 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Surely whatever xbox do the controller will be smaller than the usual behemoth they come packaged with.

i hope to god ps sticks with their perfectly proportioned masterpiece of a controller.

on the wii u, wont be buying one, I didn't get a wii, sure it was fun for a party, but so is beer pong, and beer pong is much cheaper to set up.

#9 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostMacros, on 22 November 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Surely whatever xbox do the controller will be smaller than the usual behemoth they come packaged with.

i hope to god ps sticks with their perfectly proportioned masterpiece of a controller.

on the wii u, wont be buying one, I didn't get a wii, sure it was fun for a party, but so is beer pong, and beer pong is much cheaper to set up.

I guess the PS controller would fit in one of your hands, so if that's the way you like to play then I guess it's perfectly proportioned.

For those of us with normal sized hands the PS controller is a little small.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostSilencer, on 22 November 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

View PostAptorius, on 22 November 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

OR Win8? >.> Ugh.

I don't want to depress you but with the advance of smart phones and the "streamlining" of house hold technology, one day everything is going to look like a smart phone interface. Even your PC. I am sure you will still be able to pull up some system menu to nerd around with but the interface is going to become "press potato for animal sounds".

View PostMacros, on 22 November 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Having recently invested in an X-box I have to say, the x-box controller is a lot more comfortable to hold. The dual shock is all angles and curves. Also, for some reason now the dual shock feels too light and flimsy compared to the x-box version. I wonder why it's heavier?

#11 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Because its obscenely sized.

also

fuck you morgoth!

#12 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostMacros, on 22 November 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Because its obscenely sized.

also

fuck you morgoth!

You know you love it!

Take it like a man
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

That's what SHE said

wait...

#14 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

I just read this as Nintendo admitting that they intend to over-price their Wii U games.

http://gamerant.com/...i-u-profitable/

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

I don't know if you've noticed this but Nintendo games have always been "over priced", at least in comparison to their competition. It's part of Nintendo's strategy. They don't sell things at a loss and generally every sale is supposed to be a profit. That's part of the reason why the Wii was such a money maker for them and also the reason why lowered the price on the 3DS hurt them so much. I am surprised that they are selling the Wii U at a loss though.

#16 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, I've noticed this sort of things. Some Wii games do go down in price, but generally only third-party ones. Often-times I see a 2 or 3 year old Nintendo-made Wii game still selling for $40 or $50.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#17 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 22 November 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

No way, just look at Nintendo's financial statements. They have so much fucking cash they don't know what to do with all of it. IIRC their assets are roughly ten times their liabilities. They can lose money for several years before they go under.

Indeed, but continuing to make mediocre games on outdated consoles is no way to stop making loses. The Wii U seems like a foolish move for a company that seems to have lost its way. Of course, Sony isn't doing much better.

The only 'good' idea I've seen for the Wii U controller is this one:

http://penny-arcade....omic/2012/09/10
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#18 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

I think Nintendo is fucked. They will be even more so as developers realize that every advantage that crazy controller gives can be replicated with a cell phone app like smartglass.
Error: Signature not valid

#19 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 14 December 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

I think Nintendo is fucked. They will be even more so as developers realize that every advantage that crazy controller gives can be replicated with a cell phone app like smartglass.

Ironically the Nintendo 3DS just passed the PS3 for lifetime sales in Japan. Nintendo is out of touch with every market except Japan, and I think the WiiU is probably their last full console, especially if Valve gets into the market as rumored. If Nintendo starts marketing their In House Games to the other Console Makers in return for getting all their In House rights on handhelds, they could stay utterly dominant in the handheld market while giving up their struggling console division.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#20 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Yeah, they are fine in the handheld department, but I think this will be their last home console.
Error: Signature not valid

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users