#101 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 January 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 03 January 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 03 January 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

View PostZanth13, on 03 January 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

...So does this mean Odin is a former gatekeeper? Or perhaps he defended the Gate before winter took up its current employment? Some how tying Odins character with the Norse end of time legends/ apocalyptic end battle. ...

There is a certain appeal to the notion that before the Winter Fae, it was the Norse pantheon guarding the Gates.

With their dead Norse soldiers with only the cream picked out by the Valkyries and brought to the gate? I'm kind of fuzzy on Norse mythology, but that seems right to me.

It would be a logical run from the Norse mythos einherjar and Ragnarok concepts if the Valkyries used to collect dead soldiers whose souls went to defend the gates against the end of the world.

As a related aside, in at least one mythos, Odin is the leader of the Wild Hunt.

Yeah I think I read somewhere that Odin was sometimes the equivalent of the Erlking, makes the whole hunt/Kringle/Erlking/Odin spin interesting.

Adds more weight to the changing of mantles/mask that Kringle/Odin was talking about. Maybe the task of guarding the gate itself is a mantle, that Odin gave up at some point, also maybe Rashids position did not always have to be a wizard, and is in fact a mantle of some sort that ties back to Mac.

Crazy theory: Odin has the best resume out all supernatural bosses, Defender of the gates (Mabs predecessor), leader of the hunt (Erlkings predecessor), and whatever mantles you want to give him for his Odin mythos and Kringle mask. How many mantles has he collected.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#102 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Wow, that really was one of the good 'uns, and a return to the form/style of the earlier books.

I thought it was a little bit weird that everybody in Harrys circle got back on board quite so quickly after the events in Changes and Ghost Story, and all went motoring off to the Island again without a blink after what happened the last time they did that, but generally it all worked out really well, including stuff from the ealier stories without retreading old ground. I'm a bit suspicious about linking all his previous cases/enemies into one Big B0ad; hopefully it won't turn out quite like that.

The ending with Molly was a good thing imo, as the reason that the series is so good is partly due to the fact that each book moves on, and progresses - it doesn't all go back to the start, like episodes of unimaginitive tv shows that are just trying to create volume over quality. Harry himself is different in nearly every book, with new skills, family members, revealed history etc, and Molly now being part of Winter opens up a whole load of interesting possibilities.

Lots more questions after reading it, but that's part of the course!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users