The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1241 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 17 January 2016 - 09:19 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 17 January 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

I do sort of wish Rey had stuck the lightsaber on the end of her staff and then kicked Kylo's ass with it. It would have made the fight just a little more believable. It worked well enough, I just think there was a missed opportunity there.
....yes yes, I know a lightsaber would cut the staff part in half, you know what I mean, don't be that guy...

You know, Kylo Ren could just have cut the staff in half when she tried to block his attack.

THAT GUY
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1242 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 January 2016 - 08:35 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 18 January 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

I would love a Rebels link.

It could be a way to have a powerful force user with dead (not coming back) parents who are connected to the mythos.

This could also lead to Lor San Tekka (Max Von Sydow) being a disguise of an older Kanan who was watching over Rey from afar on Jakku as a favour to Ezra.

It's probably wishful thinking, but I'm with you that I'd love to see a REBELS link in the main films.

I think they're making most of those links one way from the films down to the other media.

#1243 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostAbyss, on 17 January 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

I do sort of wish Rey had stuck the lightsaber on the end of her staff and then kicked Kylo's ass with it. It would have made the fight just a little more believable. It worked well enough, I just think there was a missed opportunity there.
....yes yes, I know a lightsaber would cut the staff part in half, you know what I mean, don't be that guy...

Actually when I first saw the staff I was thinking of something totally different. Remember those droid troopers from Clone Wars who had double bladed energy staffs which were resistant to Lightsabers? I thought Rey's staff was a broken version of that.

I am also wondering if this staff thing becomes important later. Rey is used to wielding a long weapon and using both sides. What if she builds and uses a Darth Maul style double bladed saber?

#1244 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:26 AM

With all this fuss over light sabers, what's going to happen when they come out with the heavy sabers?

Thank you. I will turn over the one liner guy role to Worry once more. This one was too good to sit on.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1245 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

Ha! That's a good one.

Speaking of lightsabers though! Remember before the movie came out everyone was arguing about Kylo Ren's saber having the plasma crossguard? But after the movie even with the complaints about the final fight it hasn't really come up at all. What's up with that?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1246 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

View Postamphibian, on 19 January 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

With all this fuss over light sabers, what's going to happen when they come out with the heavy sabers?

Thank you. I will turn over the one liner guy role to Worry once more. This one was too good to sit on.

That caused me physical pain.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1247 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Waiting for the first Scottish Jedi throwing around a treetrunk made of lasers

you know, a lightcaber
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1248 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostAndorion, on 19 January 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

... wondering if this staff thing becomes important later. Rey is used to wielding a long weapon and using both sides. What if she builds and uses a Darth Maul style double bladed saber?

There is a strong strong chance that's where they're going with it.

View Postworry, on 19 January 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

Ha! That's a good one.

Speaking of lightsabers though! Remember before the movie came out everyone was arguing about Kylo Ren's saber having the plasma crossguard? But after the movie even with the complaints about the final fight it hasn't really come up at all. What's up with that?

People.

#1249 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 January 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 19 January 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

... wondering if this staff thing becomes important later. Rey is used to wielding a long weapon and using both sides. What if she builds and uses a Darth Maul style double bladed saber?

There is a strong strong chance that's where they're going with it.

Indeed. I can't see it going any other way. She will for sure be a double-bladed lightsaber user. We've not seen one on the good side before.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1250 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 January 2016 - 11:39 AM, said:

Waiting for the first Scottish Jedi throwing around a treetrunk made of lasers

you know, a lightcaber

Or, if you're an english jedi, some nice lightkippers for tea, stoked?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#1251 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

Makes sense. Give them more time. This give Rian Johnson 2 years instead of 1.5...it's only going to make a better final product.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1252 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

Also.. rewriting? I wonder if feedback on ep 7 has lead to some changes.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1253 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:10 PM

View PostTraveller, on 22 January 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

Also.. rewriting? I wonder if feedback on ep 7 has lead to some changes.

Apparently the deal is that episode 8 originally focused on a few BRAND new characters being introduced in that film pretty heavily (as Rey would be on her own for a long period with Luke and be out of the main circle with Finn and Poe), but after viewing TFA Rian decided (or maybe Disney/LFL) had him do some rewrites to keep the MAIN focus on the trinity of Rey/Finn/Poe...so we will see those new characters, but the main series focus will still lay on those three...whereas it sounds like they split their time with the newcomers original in Rian's treatment.

#1254 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

It's a bit worrying. It seems quite likely that the series as a whole could suffer by not having a coherent plan for the new trilogy already in place, and a single director/writer overseeing the production. Too many people and too many changes this close to starting on the next episode runs the risk of it becoming an inconsistent mess.

But I guess the OT was pretty much made up as they went along and that turned out ok.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1255 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

View PostTraveller, on 22 January 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

It's a bit worrying. It seems quite likely that the series as a whole could suffer by not having a coherent plan for the new trilogy already in place, and a single director/writer overseeing the production. Too many people and too many changes this close to starting on the next episode runs the risk of it becoming an inconsistent mess.

Don't worry, that's what the New Canon Story Group is for. EVERYTHING that Kasdan and JJ wrote, and everything that Rian writes, has to be filtered through and approved by them. Feel safe in the knowledge, that they are the through-link and they know what they are doing.

#1256 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 January 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

Don't worry, that's what the New Canon Story Group is for. EVERYTHING that Kasdan and JJ wrote, and everything that Rian writes, has to be filtered through and approved by them. Feel safe in the knowledge, that they are the through-link and they know what they are doing.

On the one hand, great.

On the other hand...
Posted Image

#1257 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 January 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

On the one hand, great.

On the other hand...
Posted Image

Does not count. Prequels.

NCSG was created after the Disney Handover.

#1258 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 January 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 22 January 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

On the one hand, great.

On the other hand...
Posted Image

Does not count. Prequels.

NCSG was created after the Disney Handover.

We'll see if you still feel that way when the BB8 spaghettios are for dinner.

#1259 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 January 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

We'll see if you still feel that way when the BB8 spaghettios are for dinner.

I would eat the shit outta those things.

#1260 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:27 AM

Yeah me too. I don't think they've updated the Star Wars shapes since the first ones so it's still just R2D2s and Vader helmets.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users